Greetings Mi Fans,
Welcome to yet another Tech Wednesday,
Image stabilization (IS) is designed to greatly reduce camera shake and vibration. There are two popular methods of image stabilization used by videographers – Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) and Optical Image Stabilization (OIS).
But not many what's the difference between them & which one is better. To know more about it, keep reading.
The Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) system reduces image shake and controls image stability by manipulating the image electronically, using the light-sensing chip, the Charge Coupled Device (CCD) of the camera. Once the image hits the chip, and if the system detects what it thinks is camera shake through its sensors, it responds by slightly moving the image so that it remains in the same place on the CCD.
The Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) system works a little differently than the EIS system, although the end result achieved is the same. The OIS system works before the image hits the Charge Coupled Device (CCD). This is done by placing a variable-angle prism near the front of the lens to bend the shifted image back center.
why-eis-is-actually-better-than-ois-for-videos.1280x600.jpg (151.6 KB, Downloads: 95)
2020-05-27 20:03:38 Upload
Cameras with optical image stabilization typically also feature a gyro-sensor built into the camera to negate camera shake. The sensor measures any movement from the videographer and sends its measurements through a stabilization microchip to the CCD, which then shifts to compensate for the movement. This type of correction is the precise form of image stabilization, as it does not require increasing the ISO sensitivity.
For EIS, they are compact and don't make it heavier. the video image occupies only 90 percent of the CCD, when the image is electronically magnified to fill the remaining 10 percent of the frame, there will be an inevitable loss of image quality and resolution.
OIS systems utilize the full chip area instead of CCDs, it is slightly heavier and bulkier than the EIS systems. They do not respond as quickly as EIS systems because the prism mechanisms have to be physically moved.
OIS or EIS : Which Is Your Pick ?
In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .