KIIIMO
so what should I do now wait for update or just send it back ?

Same here, also a Fritzbox Router running. I reached out to the global support and was advised to use local support. They aren't aware of the fact it's a broader problem, with many people affected by it. Anyway, here's what they advised me to do:

Hi Britta,

Thank you for Contacting Xiaomi Customer Support. I am Nandini and I understand that you are facing wifi connection issue with your device.

I would like to inform you to try to connect your device with any other 5GHZ Wi-Fi Band and check whether you are getting the same error or not. Also, would request you to try to change the setting of the Wi-Fi router with the help of respective router Band support.

Also, like to inform you that if you are in the range of both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ Wi-Fi Bands network then priority will be given to 5GHZ Wi-Fi Band.

I would request you to refer the below-mentioned steps as you have already tried the factory reset:

For Wi-Fi:-

1.       Please turn off the router for at least 30 seconds

2.       Then select your Wi-Fi in your device and select forget the option

3.       Then start the Router and reconnect your device

4.       Check, whether the same issue is there or not

If the same issue persists, I would request you to follow the below-mentioned steps to check the exact issue:-

1. Dial *#*#6484#*#*

2. Select the option related to Wi-Fi

3. Perform the test and check whether the results are positive or not

If the test results are positive then please follow the below steps to resolve the issue:

Sign Out from your Mi Account:-

1.  Go to Settings

2.  Select Mi Account

3.  Then confirm to Sign Out

Create a Backup:-

1.  Go to Settings

2.  Select Additional Settings/ Select About Phone

3.  Select Backup and Reset

4.  Select Local Backups

5.  Select Backup

6.  Select Accounts and Contacts & select System

7.  Then select Backup so that a Backup file could be created

For Finding Backup File:-

1.  Go to Internal Storage

2.  Select MIUI

3.  Select Backup

4.  Select All Backup

(Note:- Please save the Backup file on your PC/ Laptop, so that your important data would be prevented)

Factory Data Reset:-

1.  Go to Settings

4.  Tap on Factory Data Reset

MIUI update: -                                                      

1.    Then go to Settings About phone System update Check for update

2.    Tap on '...' icon at the top right side/ long press menu button

3.    Choose download latest package

4.  Once the downloading gets completed click on update and reboot option.​

Restoring Data:-

1.  Go to Settings

4.  Select Local Backups

5.  Select Backup File

6.  Select Restore to complete this process

If the still issue persists with your device, then I would request you to visit the nearby service center by coordinating your respective point of purchase regarding the repair for your device. Also, I would request you to get in touch with your regional support for better and quicker information. Below mentioned are the details of Xiaomi Customer Support, Germany.

Germany Support:

Official Website: https://www.mi.com/de

Hotline Support: 0800 - 223 11 44

Chat Support: https://sg.support.kefu.mi.com/page/index/v2?tag=de&token=ZGUud2ViLm1pI2lqdllNV1hucGw&locale=de&cUserId=XLiVbbtHi9HgLP7GTfKL5N6Spiw

For any further assistance, feel free to contact us.

----

Have already posted this on another thread, but this could help with decision making, as it does not sound like there will be a fix :( feel so bad for suggesting that phone to my mom ..