In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Xiaomi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi Note 10/Pro/Lite

[Review] [TechWithMuz] Mi Note 10: Unleash the Beauty!

2020-02-22 11:18:54
46603 183
Hello Mi Fans,

Xiaomi has always gifted us with a plethora of cutting-edge technology and devices at affordable prices. Mi Note 10 is one of them. Well, after a brief pause in the Mi Note line up, Xiaomi surprised us with the best in the lot with not 1 or 2 but 5 cameras - The King! Mi Note 10! With Mi Note 10 Xiaomi has once again pushed it’s boundaries to make the impossible possible! After using it for more than a month, I must say it’s not one of the best camera phones available. It's actually the BEST camera smartphone. Let’s have a detailed review now.

• What's Inside Box?

First thing first. Before reviewing the beast let's see what Xiaomi has included in the box. Well, there is nothing extra. It's just usual as all the Xiaomi phones has. This is my 9th Xiaomi device. So I can almost say it blindly what they have kept inside the box
  • Mi Note 10
  • USB-C cable
  • protective cover
  • 30W fast charger
  • SIM ejector tool
  • Quick Guide
  • Warranty information

• Highlights

Here are the highlights of Mi Note 10:

• 6.47-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ AMOLED 19.5:9 aspect ratio display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
  • Octa Core (2.2GHz Dual + 1.8GHz Hexa) Snapdragon 730G Mobile Platform with Adreno 618 GPU
  • Dual SIM (nano + nano)
  • MIUI 11 based on Android 9.0 (Pie)
  • 108MP rear camera with 1/ 1.33″ Samsung HMX sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.69 aperture, OIS, 7P lens (8P in Pro), Dual flash, 12MP 1/2.6-inch 2PD sensor with 1.4um for 2x zoom and portrait, 5MP telephoto lens for 10x hybrid zoom and 50x digital zoom, 5x optical zoom,  OIS, 20MP  117° ultra-wide angle lens, 2MP macro lens for 1.5cm macro shots, 4k 30fps, 960fps at 720p
  • 32MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
  • In-display fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
  • 3.5mm audio jack, Hi-Res audio, Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C
  • 5260mAh battery with 30W fast charging

• Build & Design

For any gadgets, be it your phone or something else, design matters a lot. Maybe it's not the most important factor but certainly not the least one as well. Because no matter how great qualities it has, your eyes will first get struck at the designs to have the first impression. And if your eyes don't find them convincing.. that's gonna be a problem! From that aspect, I must say Mi Note 10 gonna impress you a lot. It has an absolute elegance in design. The phone simply look stunning and feels premium in hand. My Mi Note 10 is the Glacier White version. Which indeed portrays a beautiful reflective pattern at the curved & smooth glossy back. What I noticed is, the phone snugly fits into the palm of my hand and the aluminium frame provides a strong grip.
We have a top of the line glass and metal build, 3D glass on both back and front and curvy edges. Which makes the Mi note 10 feel a bit slimmer and sleeker than actually it is.

One most important factor here is, both front and back is protected with corning gorilla glass 5. So you can clearly assume it's quite scratch resistant.

The Mi Note 10 has a large 6.47-inch Full HD+ display, which curves around the edges of the screen. And honestly speaking, I really loved the curves. It gives a stunning look to my note 10. There is a small chin on the bottom of the display and a water drop notch at the top. Above the notch, Xiaomi has kept the speaker and earpiece hidden in the bezel. Impressive!
On the leftmost side, you’ll find five cameras in a line straight down the edge and to the right of the cameras, there are four different flashes. One thing to be mentioned here is, there indeed a huge camera bump. Not a fan of bumps but I must say, it doesn’t look odd or make any awkward sights at all.

At the bottom there is the Xiaomi logo. I always feel, this embedded logo makes a phone look more beautiful. What do you all think?

But the super glossy back comes with it's own con. It might look gorgeous but fingerprints gets into it quickly. Though it wasn't an issue when I used the phone inside a case. Xiaomi has included one in the box. That case fits tightly with the device. Mi Note 10 is a bit thick and weighs around 208gms because of it high-capacity battery but the weight is distributed evenly throughout, so I don't feel it to be bulky at all.
All the physical buttons of the phone are placed on the right side while the left side is clean and bare. The speaker and the charging port are embedded at the bottom.  You can also find the SIM card slot at the bottom right side.

Mi Note 10 includes 3.5mm headphone jack that has been placed at the bottom along side the charging port.The top of the phone has another microphone and an IR blaster.  If the lack of microSD card support is a drawback, the presence of 3.5 mm jack and IR blaster is the boon.

• Display

It's not very difficult to find some facts about the display of Mi Note 10. You can just find all in a simple search in google. But in simple one line, Mi Note 10 has a larger display with lots of pixels in it. It features an AMOLED panel with a contrast ratio of 400,000:1 which inturn makes it the best in it’s class. As for the screen, it’s 6.47in, features Full HD resolution and a pixel density of around 400ppi.

But all of these are mere facts. Let's talk about how it actually feels to see! If you are an ardent lover of full screen display, you might feel a bit apprehensive about the waterdrop notch but trust me, the moment you start experiencing the beautiful curvy 3D display, nothing else would matter. I simply love how the display look like!
Because of sharp contrast, vivid colors, brighter highlights and deep blacks, I get an amazingly immersive media viewing experience. Also, the phone gets enough brightness to view outdoors for most of the time and conditions. Mi Note 10 display gets as comfortable at night time as it was during bright sunny days at the outdoors. So you see, no matter it's day time or night the brightness of the screen adjusts brilliantly. It can get enough brighter as well as enough dim. Thus causing no strain to eyes in any condition.
I have also tried viewing contents from different angles. and every time the result was successful. So you can practically view the screen from any angle.

Now comes another favorite feature - the in-display fingerprint scanner. Trust me, it's the fastest I have ever seen and very rarely had problems registering my thumb. But if you are using a screen protector for your screen, that might creates hindrances. I do not use any screen guard. So it worked pretty fast and smooth for me. You can also change the fingerprint animation from Settings - Lock screen & password - Fingerprint - Fingerprint animations. All of the animations are eye candy.

• Hardware & Performance

Time to talk about the horsepower now. In theory, Mi Note 10 comes with a less powerful chip Snapdragon 730G which isn’t a flagship Qualcomm processor and can't beat the SD 855 of Mi 9T pro in terms of benchmark scores. But reality is a bit different.
With my day to day usage, I must say my Mi Note 10 is satisfactorily fast and almost as quick as my Redmi K20 Pro. Initially I was a bit apprehensive about it's performance but after using it for more than a month now, I would say, Snapdragon 730G from Qualcomm is one of the best chip sets available out there.
Every time multitasking was smooth without any hiccups. App navigations were fast and all the apps from recent tray would always open on the same position. There wasn't any lag or other issues even while using the split screen feature or while swiping through the UI, browsing the web or watching videos.The Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G adds 15% better graphics performance than it’s sibling Snapdragon 730 processor. Which inturn provides more performance in games.

Having said that, there is also something which makes me disappointed. That’s the image processing time. Specially the 108MP images processing can leave you unable to open them for a few seconds and can result in the camera app hanging every now and then.
The processor is associated with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage which is enough for most of the users. And for me, it’s actually more than enough. So the lack of an SD card slot never really put me off. And I forgot to mention Mi Note 10 supports the Widevine L1. Which means you can see your favorite Netflix and other streaming services in HD. There is even support for HDR contents. Which is definitely a cherry on top.

I really never believed that benchmark score would define a device's performance truly. Because it depends on various other factors too. But still I tried running some of the benchmarks to test it's score. Here they are!
In AnTuTu, Mi Note 10 recorded a whooping 264946 points. In PC Mark work 2.0 performance score- it reaches 7596 which is quite good.

• Gaming

For many of us, this question is crucial. How the chip 730G would work out for heavy games? On the CPU side of things, it has two Kryo 470 Gold (Cortex-A76) cores, clocked at 2.2 GHz, and another six Kryo 470 Silver (Cortex-A55) ones, working at 1.8 GHz. They are all built on an 8nm LPP node and hence pretty power-efficient. It has the Adreno 618 DSP. But the one on the 730G is clocked 50 MHz higher and sits at 550 MHz. Well, I have tried quite a number of my favorite games from lighter ones to heavier ones. I have tried Mario kart, Alto's odyssey, Call of Duty, PUBG, Asphalt 9 and Fortnite. Not a big fan of Fortnite. But I wanted to see if it supports. And good news is - yes, Mi Note 10 supports Fortnite. All of the games I played proved that Mi Note 10 is a champion device for gaming.
For heavier games like PUBG, Call of Duty, or Asphalt I never faced any frame drops. Controls felt pretty smooth. Touch response was lightning quick and the visuals were awesome as well. Because of its 6.47 inch full screen display the experience was absolutely immersive. However for Fortnite there was a little frame drops here and there at the time of intense game play. The phone felt a bit heated after a long time playing. But it bearable. Also, thanks to it's high capacity battery, I can play PUBG for a long time at HD quality and high frame rate without getting worried about battery running out. I must say, Xiaomi has done a commendable job for gaming At 60 Hz with special gaming SoC SD 730G.
For a better gaming experience we have got the Game Turbo over here. There are plenty of settings including performance optimization, Touch controls, sensitivity, size of touch resistant area and much more. Game speed booster also shows a live information of our CPU and GPU usage at the top. I am sure all of you have tried game booster in your Mi devices. Its easy, simple yet useful.

• Battery

For battery life you honestly I have no complaints. What I have heard and seen from other devices of my friends and family members, Mi Note 10 is best in line for me with it's massive 5,240mAh battery.
I carried on test in PC Mark. Which gave a battery life of 10 hours. On light gaming, watching some videos on YouTube and other daily work, I almost everyday ended with around 55% left on the battery. I tested the same thing for one week constantly with some browsing, doing social media, other stuff and light gaming. For everyday, the scenario was same. Even on the days of heavy usage like constant snapping photos and shooting video, gps, or wife usage, Mi note 10 still managed to finish the day with around 30% battery! That's really impressive!

The Snapdragon 730G is also much more power-efficient than the Snapdragon 855, which all adds to battery life. The Mi Note 10 also comes with a 30W charger which charges nice and extremely fast. It took around 1 hour 10 mins to charge to 100%.
But one thing, if you are a fan of wireless charging, that’s a miss for you here.

• Software

The Mi Note 10 comes with MIUI 11 as it's factory firmware. My phone comes with Official MIUI ROM EU version. Anyone who has used Xiaomi phones are familiar with what MIUI 11 offers. So I am not going into details of it. All I can say is, you will surely love the customization MIUI offers. Mi Note 10 runs with Android 9.0 Pie. Currently my ROM version is MIUI Global 11.0.5.0(PFDEUXM). As we are all very much hyped about MIUI 11, I would prefer to talk about that.

MIUI 11 has made my phone extremely fast and fluid. The app navigation have become smoother than ever. If you are using the Limitless theme, you won't feel much difference in look. But the classical or default theme brings a super cool visual change to the UI. The app icons are a bit bigger with square base. It makes the entire UI clean and visually pleasing. If you are setting up your device with MIUI 11 for the first time or after a factory reset or even after flashing your device, here are my simple visual guide.

MIUI 11 brought a few new features to my phone like floating calculator, Steps tracker, redesigned sounds and notifications UI, Tasks in notes app, system wide dark mode etc. But I do not want to divulge into details of that as it's not a review thread of MIUI 11. MIUI has its own flavor of battery optimizations for a longer usage of our phones. in MIUI 11 also, I didn't notice any deviation to that., The power consumption is justified. The overall software performance you would get in Mi Note 10 is stable, reliable and powerful.

• Audio

Mi Note 10 has a single bottom-firing speaker next to it’s charging port. Though its carrying a mono speaker but the sound quality is quite loud. For listening to music or watching videos or even while playing my favorite games, the audio experience was really good and in some cases overwhelming. Occasionally I used to cover up the speaker while holding the phone in landscape mode because of the positioning of the speaker. But now I'm always careful about it. So that's my advice for anyone who wants to buy Mi Note 10. There is no stereo speaker setup but we certainly get the 3.5 mm headphone jack. This is one of the main reasons I just love Mi Note 10. It’s an absolute thumbs up! The audio output through the headphone jack is excellent as well. In Mi Note 10 Bluetooth sports audio codecs including AAC, aptX, aptX HD and LDAC. A headphone jack and an IR blaster - what can be better than this!

• Connectivity

The first thing I should mention as for connectivity is Mi Note 10 support NFC. I know many of you don't even use it. But at the same time for many it's very necessary. So if you are in the second category. Mi Note 10 won't disappoint you. Also there are Bluetooth 5.0, Dual 4G VoLTE, dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and GPS. You can also get the support for USB OTG.

Mi Note 10 comes with a hybrid sim (2 nano SIM) slot, so you can't expand the storage by using any micro SD card. What is worth mentioning is that you can use data on both the sims at the same time. Not to forget it supports dual voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Wi-Fi calling (VoWiFi) too. I use Mi Note 10 as my daily driver. So you can assume I get calls on it pretty often and I have never experienced any disturbance during calls. In fact the call quality is great and loud. Voice transmission is also well enough.Though you would surely recognise the noise in the background at high volume.

The global version has got the support of all major LTE bands. As for WiFi it allows you to connect to 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. I have also tested the GPS accuracy of my device in which I got a satellite fix with up to 12 metres accuracy wherever I tested it, something that makes Mi Note 10 outperforms others of it’s class. Though it takes a bit of time to determine the location, but once located it’s accurate. So I can say it without any doubt that Mi Note 10 does a good job in terms of location.

• Camera

Now finally the time has come to address the elephant in the room. One of the most important features we look for while buying a new smartphone- The Camera! And Mi Note 10 can definitely be a photographer’s best companion! With Mi Note 10 on your hand you are bound to unleash the hidden photographer inside you. Well, there are a lot of things to talk about the camera that I would prefer to write a separate article on it. But for now, let’s just give a brief overview.

The Mi Note 10 is the world's first phone to feature Samsung's 108MP sensor in it’s 'primary' camera module. The Mi Note 10 has five cameras on the back and one on the front. The main wide-angle camera is 108MP. There’s also a 12MP 2x zoom camera, a 5MP 5x zoom camera, a 20MP ultra-wide camera and a 2MP macro photography camera.

One thing I always look for in photos taken from my phone is natural colors and liveliness. Mi Note 10 exactly provides me with these. All the images have shown the actual color and tone. They aren’t overly saturated or have too much contrast.
So for me they are perfectly captured. The photos taken on full and bright day light are excellent and with full details. All the photos retain dynamic range and vivid colors.
No matter how many times you crop a photo taken by Mi Note 10, everytime you would get an outcome that is incredibly sharp. So, details when zooming in is actually impressive. Mi Note 10 understands, Details Matter! On the camera app you can just scroll simply between different modes.

Portrait mode on the Mi Note 10 is simply brilliant. Edge detection, depth, bokeh effect everything is excellent. I have also tried the zoom camera, While it performs exceptionally well in day light but the for night time photos I prefer the standard 108MP mode. With HDR enabled all things gets improved a lot. When shifted to the 108MP mode, Mi Note 10 combines four pixels into one, resulting in a higher-quality image which has more details and great exposure.
Now let's talk about the selfie camera which is a vital factor, especially for the younger generation. Mi Note 10 has a 32 MP front-facing camera with an f/2.0 aperture. The photos comes out to be sharp and absolutely natural than any other phones I have used.

Here are the camera samples:
Normals!

Selfie time! click click!

Video

Finally the videos! Mi Note 10 can shoot videos up to 4K at 30 FPS. At 4K, 30fps, video quality gets downgraded from the usual flagship devices that come with SD 845 or above. But the videos come out smooth because of the electronic stabilization it has. In addition to 4K @30fps with image stabilization there is also a slow motion mode that can shoot video at 960fps. Though I am not very fond of video shooting. But with the inclusion of Vlog mode on Mi Note 10 even I can’t stop shooting every now and then. Vlog mode has different themes and applies transitions to short clips. It’s simply brilliant.  

• Pros & Cons

Pros:
  • Excellent photo quality and versatile camera sets
  • 3.5 mm headphone jack
  • In-display fingerprint scanner
  • IR Blaster
  • Fast upper mid range SOC

Cons
  • No wireless charging
  • no microSD card slot
    Verdict:

With a great battery life, an excellent display, solid and powerful camera performance Mi Note 10 have every quality to be your next smartphone. Not to forget the price. Considering it to be an absolute value for money Mi Note 10 is simply the best phone in its class. It's a combination of intuitive software and fantastic hardware. SD 730G will surely blow your mind with it's performance. I miss wireless charging  though. But keeping in mind the price tag. Really can't complain. The AMOLED display makes everything looks so perfect and eye-soothing. And camera? I really do not think there is any phone available right now in the market which can actually beat Mi Note 10 in the game of camera, photo quality, versatile optical options and so on. You won’t get a sharper camera phone for the price.
In short, the design, screen, battery life, excellent camera everything makes Mi Note 10 Perfect Companion. And an under-display fingerprint scanner, a headphone jack, IR blaster, FM radio are cherry.. Oops Cherries on top! Mi Note 10 is not one of the best. It’s the BEST phone available in its class.

Rate

Number of participants 7 Experience +105 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-02-22 11:18:54
Favorites107 RateRate
Nice review..
2020-02-22 11:29:59
It's a great device
2020-02-22 11:30:43
Thanks for the great review
2020-02-22 11:31:54

Wizard Bunny

Ratpenat | from MI 9

Excellent review, thanks
2020-02-22 11:43:02

Designer Team

Piyush KPV | from Redmi Note 8 Pro

nice, very informative
2020-02-22 12:01:16

R/O

1713328209 | from Redmi Note 4

When is the global version of Mi 10 and Mi 10 Pro going to be released?
2020-02-22 12:59:29

R/O

1713328209 | from Redmi Note 4

We ONLY want global Xiaomi devices, with OTA support, global coverage, global connection!!!
2020-02-22 13:00:32

jihad.ptk1 | from Redmi Note 7 Pro

Thanks for the great review
2020-02-22 13:01:39
Regards
Md. Jihad Hossen
Mi Community Bangladesh

Semi Pro Bunny

NEO2000 | from Mi Note 10

is the best review i havent seen thanks dude
2020-02-22 13:13:03

Semi Pro Bunny