In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

MIUI Tips & Tricks

[] How to configure a static ip & dns on wired OTG LAN on MIUI

2019-12-24 22:00:49
984 5
I need to be able to speed test and run other diagnostics from my Xiaomi redmi note 6 pro.  MIUI 11, PEKMIXM Stable, global

Sometimes I do this using a wired LAN connection using a UGreen gigbit OTG NIC.

I have not been able to find where in the configuration it is possible to change this connection from DHCP to static.  It is often needed to change setting from those applied by the DHCP server, particuarly the gateway and sometimes the supplied DNS.

From: About phone, All specs, Status it is possible to see the OTG NIC IP address.

And the connection works, properly and correctly.

On an Xiaomi mi box 3 Android TV there is a seperate setting under networking for Wired connections  via OTG

Anybody know how to do this, or perhaps an app to change these settings

2019-12-24 22:00:49
Favorites RateRate

Master Bunny

SirLukas | from app

That's a pretty interesting request.
I work for an ISP irl and have never come across anyone using a wired connection on a mobile phone!
Have you been able to do this on a different android device? I don't know whether android supports this functionality natively, or if it's been obfuscated in MIUI.
Another option may be to do it from the router-side? More advanced routers will allow you to configure connection properties from the router gui (iirc my Fritzbox 3490 has this option)
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but without having the same devices in my hand it's difficult to know where the option might be...
2019-12-25 02:59:31
SirLukas

Advanced Bunny

LincolnG Author |

SirLukas replied at 2019-12-24 18:59:31
I work for an ISP irl and have never come across anyone using a wired connection on a mobile phone!
Have you been able to do this on a different android device? I don't know whether android supports this functionality natively, or if it's been obfuscated in MIUI.

On a Android TV it's easy and I've done it on Android tablets too.  However all my mobile phones are MIUI, so I've lucked out on being able to test it on another.

Apart from being able to configure the ip, it works like a beast.  I never thought I'd see 900 mbps file transfers on a Redmi note ;)

The problem I have is that ISP provided routers have (here in Spain) the dns / dhcp entries locked down, so for example you can't change the default g/w and the dns is set to their really slow crappy ones for parental control.  I get around this with static ip normally, but with a phone I can't find a way to do it.
2020-01-05 04:13:35

Advanced Bunny

LincolnG Author |

SirLukas replied at 2019-12-24 18:59:31

I found this, does it make any sense?

Using a terminal emulator APK installed. Run these commands

ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth0 your ip addr here netmask your netmaks here

Any idea how to do this on MIUI and if the DNS1, DNS2 can be set also
2020-01-05 04:19:26

Master Bunny

SirLukas | from app

LincolnG
I found this, does it make any sense?

Using a terminal emulator APK installed. Run these commands

Hi LincolnG,
900mbps on a phone sounds insane!
In all honesty I wouldn't like to try and advise 0on how to configure IP/DNS settings via terminal on a mobile phone, simply because it's not something I've ever attempted, and without an ethernet adapter for me to test with it's not something I can try either.
I've done a little bit of reading on the subject and it looks like it's a fairly tricky thing to achieve, because there may be complications in the routing table in Android for applications opened by a non-root user so you may need to add specific routing rules.
Definitely something I'd only suggest attempting if you're really hot on command line ip networking :-)
2020-01-05 15:36:16
SirLukas

Advanced Bunny

LincolnG Author |

I will heed your advice and hope that somebody else knows an easier way to do it !
2020-01-11 03:27:56