In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Xiaomi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Other Devices

[Q&A] Does Redmi 2 Pro needs to unlock bootloader?

2019-12-19 01:58:28
446 4
I've been trying to figure out how to root my device but some guides show no bootloader unlock and others do, so I'm confused af LOL

My phone is currently running Android 5.1 and MIUI 9, it has a option "Allow OEM unlock" but theres NO "Mi Unlock status", and using the pc app it won't complete the process, saying "Can't verify basic files...".

IM LOST, any help?

2019-12-19 01:58:28
Favorites RateRate

Master Bunny

RockinBandit | from MI 3W

That is odd because when you switch on OEM unlocking you should get status locked or unlocked. I checked my old phones Mi3 has nothing but it came with unlocked bootloader, Redmi4 Prime has OEM unlocking and Mi unlock status. Your phone was released between these 2. As it has OEM listed I can only guess that it needs to be unlocked. Out of curiosity if you go Settings-Manage apps-Permissions do you have the option Root access?
2019-12-19 07:57:16
RockinBandit  replied at 2019-12-18 20:57:16
That is odd because when you switch on OEM unlocking you should get status locked or unlocked. I checked my old phones Mi3 has nothing but it came with unlocked bootloader, Redmi4 Prime has OEM unlocking and Mi unlock status. Your phone was released between these 2. As it has OEM listed I can only guess that it needs to be unlocked. Out of curiosity if you go Settings-Manage apps-Permissions do you have the option Root access?

It didnt had the option, it was confusing but I managed to get everything working

2019-12-20 22:19:54
Update:
I managed to flash twrp and root my device without unlocking anything, just moved the key on "Allow OEM unlock" on my settings to be "safe" but don't know if it actually makes any difference. It was tricky to actually boot into twrp, I had to force power off my device after flashing taking my battery out, and after that boot into twrp with power + volume up + volume down.
2019-12-20 22:20:10

Master Bunny

RockinBandit | from Mi 9 SE

obsessedlady
Update:
I managed to flash twrp and root my device without unlocking anything, just moved the key on "Allow OEM unlock" on my settings to be "safe" but don't know if it actually makes any difference. It was tricky to actually boot into twrp, I had to force power off my device after flashing taking my battery out, and after that boot into twrp with power + volume up + volume down.

Thanks for the reply, nice to see you have succeeded. The thought of going down the TWRP path daunts me, so no rooting for me. As I like to use the China roms unlocking will suffice.
2019-12-21 05:05:30