In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

[] e-Scooter legality in the UK

2019-11-27 03:34:59
646 8
Don't know if this is commonly known (i certainly wasn't aware til recently) that the elctric scooters are not currently legal to use on roads/ public footpaths etc in the UK. You could be subject to a fine of caught. Highlighting this issue for info and or discussion.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/science/technology/e-scooters-why-are-they-not-legal-on-uk-roads/
2019-11-27 03:34:59
Favorites2 RateRate
yeah I think it has been fairly well known, and it's due to really old laws that need updated. you could technically be fined but the police I know say they all ignore it as they know it's rubbish, but if you act like an idiot you can expect them to fine you.
2019-11-27 05:36:53

GunplaMad | from app

kingofscotland
yeah I think it has been fairly well known, and it's due to really old laws that need updated. you could technically be fined but the police I know say they all ignore it as they know it's rubbish, but if you act like an idiot you can expect them to fine you.

I would agree on that. There are loads of old laws that are forgotten about and broken everyday like feet on seats on public transport. Have you seen anyone arrested for that in a while?
Look it simply good sense to allow electric scooters, skateboards or bikes if it reduces our carbon footprint.
2019-11-27 06:17:31

Pro Bunny

TheDuke | from app

I would always air on the side of caution when you use an E-Scooter in public. There has been people fined and given penalty points on their license/future license. There was one member of the Mi Community UK who made us aware that they had been fined by the police for riding on his E-Scooter. But there is currently a government review taking place on the issue so hopefully in the very near future we will be able to legally ride our E-Scooter in public. Until then, the only legal use in the UK is on private land.
2019-11-27 09:35:44

Semi Pro Bunny

drgunlove Author | from app

Yeah seems a really backward law these days. Glad to hear its more known thatn i thought. Guess its just me who os behind the times!! 🤣
2019-11-27 13:52:21

Spam Hunter

ScubyGB | from app

They are looking at changes to the law on electronic scooter but who knows how long it will take. I'd certainly buy one if it was changed
2019-11-27 17:45:21

Admin

Torlyn |

Chiming in on top of what's been said. In some places, because of the prevalence of scooters, the police sees that as an easy fine (and numbers) generator, so they regularly do stops and confiscations. I see that a lot in the Old Street neighbourhood in London, as it's probably the epicentre for scooter use, with all the tech firms there.
2019-11-27 20:10:35

Semi Pro Bunny

PatPatUK | from app

Actually in China there are a billion electric scooters are now banned in most first tier cities on the inner zones.  Outer zones are still free for all and its awesome chaos.
There are dedicated lanes for them which is where most pile ups occur.  
I suspect UK road systems will not be able to cope with them.  Also they no 1 mode for bag snatching. Insurance also will be a problem.
2019-11-28 15:38:38

Semi Pro Bunny

PatPatUK | from app

PatPatUK
Actually in China there are a billion electric scooters are now banned in most first tier cities on the inner zones.  Outer zones are still free for all and its awesome chaos.
There are dedicated lanes for them which is where most pile ups occur.  
I suspect UK road systems will not be able to cope with them.  Also they no 1 mode for bag snatching. Insurance also will be a problem.

I've seen them ridden out of lifts in apartment blocks straight into apartments. Battery theft is ripe so they like to keep em in sight.
2019-11-28 15:44:15