In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi Gadgets

[Review] Mi CC9 Meitu Edition Review: Superb Must Have Selfie Phone!

2019-07-15 22:26:32
3596 53

Mi CC9 Meitu Edition Review: Superb Must Have Selfie Phone!
by mitch002

Everyone was so excited to see the unveiling of the latest smartphone by Xiaomi and this time its a joint collaboration with the beauty app company that they bought out last year which is Meitu. This company specializes in selfie post edit beautification and is quite popular across China. After the merger, finally on July 2 comes the annoucement of the fruit from the acquisition.

Xiaomi Meitu didnt just announced one, nor two but three phones under this launch. There is the Mi CC9 e, Mi CC9 and Mi CC9 Meitu Edition. The later is the best that this joint collaboration has to offer and it is quite awesome phone for people (most likely girls) who does a lot of heavy beautification for their selfie photos.

Tech Specs of Mi CC9 Meitu Edition:

• ·      Qualcomm SDM7 Snapdragon 710 Octa-core processor 10nm (2x2.2 GHz Kryo 360 Gold & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 360 Silver)
  • ·      Adreno 616 GPU
  • ·      8GB of RAM LPDDR4x 1866Mhz
  • ·      6.39-inch Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen display, (~85.8% screen-to-body ratio)
  • ·      1080 x 2340 pixels FHD+ (~403 ppi pixel density), 60,000:1 contrast ratio, 19.5:9 Ratio, NTSC 103.8%
  • ·      High color saturation, 430nit, Corning Gorilla Glass
  • ·      Glass Back Battery Cover Edge to Edge Round Edge
  • ·      Pearl White
  • ·      256GB of storage UFS 2.1
  • ·      48 MP, f/1.75, FOV 79.4, 1/2" Light Sensing Area, 1.6µm,  SONY IMX Sensor 586
  •        8 MP Ultrawide Lens
  • ·      2 MP Depth Sensor
  • ·      32 MP front camera, f/2.0, 1.6 µm, 3D Beauty, Meitu Classic Portrait, Teardrop Notch
  • ·      7th Generation On Screen Finger print scanner
  • ·      Dual SIM (nano sim size) + Hybrid Expansion Memory Storage
  • ·      3G, LTE, 4G+ Carrier Aggregation, VoLTE Calls
  • ·       LTE FDD: B1/B3/B5/B8 LTE TDD Network Bands: B34/B38/B39/B40/B41
  • ·      Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, Single Band GPS Phone, A-GPS, NFC
  • ·      4030mAh battery, Quick Charge 3.0 Supported, 18 Watts Fast Charging (18W Charger Included)
  • ·      2x2 MIMO Technology to support MU-MIMO
  • ·      Sensors: Ultrasonic distance sensor, Under Screen Ambient Light sensor, Gyro, Vibration Motor, Accelerometer, Barometer, Electronic
  •        Compass, Camera Laser Sensor, Infrared Sensor
  • ·      3.5mm Audio Jack High-Res Audio
  • ·      Android Pie 9, MIUI 10.3
  • ·      USB-C port, UFS 2.1
  • ·      156.8 mm x 74.5 mm x 8.67 mm
  • ·      179 Grams

Design

The Mi CC9 Meitu Edition sports the same outside appearance with the Mi CC9, even the hardware are the same except for the storage capacity. The only main difference is the modified apps just for this special release. The phone itself is very nice to hold on, it sports the same icy effect on the back of the phone like that from the Glacier Blue of the Mi 9T and the waterdrop notch was carried over from the Mi 9 flagship. The only upgrade I saw on this phone is the availablity of the SD card expansion slot over the Mi 9 and Mi 9T which is sometimes quite important for heavy users. They have only 1 color for the Meitu edition of the CC9 which is the pearl white. The glass protection is mentioned to be Corning Gorilla Glass 5, same as the Mi 9T while there is no mentioning about the protection of the glass back case.

Unboxing

Display and Audio

We were expecting a lot from the display side as we know that its sporting a Samsung AMOLED, tho this is already a norm for Mi Series since the Mi 8. The Full HD display did blew me away with its awesome rendering of photos and videos, and probably one thing that is not good with AMOLED is the burn in problems like those on the Samsung Galaxy Flagship Series that we have heard about. After holding the Mi 9T with the popup camera and notchless display, we felt that we did took a step backward as we went back to the teardrop notch display similar to the Mi 9 flagship. We watched several movies and I can say its pretty crisp and detailed especially playing 4K quality movies. The sound was excellent, especially the louspeaker it was really really loud! Even it is not stereo sounds, but it really blew me away when it said WELCOME TO MOBILE LEGENDS. The loudspeaker is definitely louder than the Mi 9 but it is at par with the Mi 9T which has the same max volume for the loud speaker. Bluetooth connectivity of headset is also no problem on this unit upon transfering files from Mi 9T, Mi Drop was also seamless. Playing games like PUBG was not a problem tho we cannot access the highest definition, just dont forget to access the Mi Game Turbo Mode v2.0 inside the security app.

Audio Format supported by the Mi CC9
Supports PCM, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, MP3, AMR-NB and WB, FLAC, WAV and other audio formats
3.5mm headphone jack | Hi-Res Audio (high resolution audio)

Video Format Supported by the Mi CC9

• MP4
  • XVID
  • M4V
  • MKV
  • APE
  • AAC
  • FLAC
  • AMR
  • WAV
  • MP3

Video formats such as H.265/HEVC (Main profile), H.264 (Baseline/Main/High profile), MPEG4 (Simple profile/ASP), and supports high dynamic range display when playing HDR10 video content.

Snapdragon 710

Xiaomi did took a little step back after launching the Redmi K20 with the SD 730, this time they released the CC9 sporting only the SD 710. But take note that the target market is mostly female and selfie savy persons, not the gamer market. The 710 is definitely a performer for both multitasking as well as battery optimization. This is powered together with the Adreno 616, and of course a generous serving of 8GB of RAM, it will give you a pretty above average performance in both multitaksing and gaming category, running PUBG and NBA2k19 was not really a problem its just that we cannot set it to the maximum graphic setting. the best midrange experience up to date.

AnTuTu benchmark gave it a 173953 point out of the box which is the expected score for this processor.

MIUI 10

Support MI Turbo
Support for defragmentation I/O performance optimization | Support application startup speed optimization
Simulation 18 months of use, reduce aging carton 35%*

Support Game Turbo

Support for perceived game complex scenes, intelligent scheduling system resources | Support custom game touch parameters 丨 support custom game display enhancement;
Gun battle game 4D shock | game toolbox supports display CPU, GPU occupancy and FPS; support one-click switch network card Other functions*;
support game performance enhancement, optimize touch response, support custom edge suppression range | support to turn off automatic brightness, three-finger screen capture, eye protection mode.

Live wallpaper and display
Color AOD display | Support live wallpaper with local sunrise and sunset time support Dark mode (Dark mode)

Connectivity

The Mi CC9 Meitu Edition supports 9 different LTE bands, which is quite fewer compared to the Mi 9T at 11 different bands. It's pretty easy to switch to LTE network inside the settings, and it also supports Dual 4G mode as well. You can freely choose which sim you want to use your LTE data, since this is a Dual LTE, Dual standby smartphone. Wireless connectivity via Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac is also smooth and it also supports Wi-Fi Direct. Wireless screen mirroring is also available via the Miracast protocol, tethering data is also working perfectly. Bluetooth 5.0,GPS, and GLONASS are all present, NFC (Near Field Communication) is also present to support Mi Pay, Android Pay and it enables you to send data to a fellow NFC user with just tapping your phones together. Transfering data from older phones using Mi Mover was also a breeze as well.

Supported LTE Bands:

GSM B2 / B3 / B5 / B8
CDMA 1X/EVDO BC0
WCDMA B1 / B2 / B5 / B8
TDS-SCDMA B34 / B39
FDD-LTE: B1/B3/B5/B8
TDD-LTE: B34/B38/B39/B40/ B41

Note: LTE B41 (2535 – 2655 120MHz)

Wireless Network
Support protocol 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
support 2.4G WiFi / support 5G WiFi / support WiFi Direct
support Bluetooth 5.0

Camera

The Mi CC9 Meitu Edition probably has the Best Selfie Camera among all the Xiaomi phones that I ever held, the front shooter is not only just another 32MP camera, but it has probably one of the most sophisticated beauty camera I have ever seen. This is due to the camera app not being the default MIUI Camera App, they have deployed another level of camera altogether as this is probably what they should call the Meitu infused camera app. You can freely calibrate the beauty settings before you even take the snap, everything from makeup to enhancement of the eyes and nose to the height of the subject and from fat to slim. I swear everything is already there! This is definitely the highlight of this special edition of the CC9 series.

Sample Photos

Selfie Camera

Video Sample

Using the build in beautification editor on the camera app, you can see that I was able to enhance my face by adding more definition to my cheekbones as well as enhancing my eyes and extending my jawbones to make me look slimer on photo (well just on photo).

no edit
pre edited settings on camera app

Now using the Meitu App is even more exciting, I have honestly never touched any beauty app, but editing myself on this app sure is fun and quite educational, now I see how photos are being editied by professional artist.

Unedited
Editied
Unedited
Edited
You can even make an avatar of yourself

Mi CC9 Meitu Edition Battery and Benchmark:

The Mi CC9 Meitu Edition supports the Qualcomm Quick charge 4.0 and up to 18W of speed. We charged the Mi CC9 and it took in 7V 2.7 Amperes based on our testing using the supplied charger and cable. We charged the phone from 19% to 100% in just 1 hour and 29 minutes and it was quite good for a 4030 mAh capacity phone. We recorded a 14 hour SOT endurance test under normal usage as the PC Mark Battery Stress Test failed 4 times on this unit and we are not sure why. If these statistics are true on a normal daily use, then it's really a good sign for the said smartphone, and based on my daily usage for several days, the battery almost last me a day without hitting the charging dock.

Verdict

The Mi CC9 Meitu Edition for me is probably the best selfie phone I have ever seen, imagine you can already preset your settings on the camera even before taking the shot, that is to save you time for post editing. Making taking selfies so much fun and hassle free. Imagine you have to post edit all of your 20 selfies after taking it, but with this camera app by Meitu, you dont really have to worry about it, all you need is just to preset it and you are good to go. This works for both rear and front camera. Given that its just a SD 710, there is not really a big problem as it was able to run most of the games that I threw at it, and it did render with ease tho it cant max out on the best setting of the game. If you are in the market looking for the ultimate selfie phone, have no doubt that this is definitely the phone just for you!

Aesthetics Comparison
CC9 vs CC9 Meitu

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +23 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-07-15 22:26:32
Favorites20 RateRate

Beta Team-Global

Animesh Singh | from Redmi Note 6 Pro

Awesome review, Thanks for sharing with us
2019-07-15 23:15:08

News Reporter

Subrata Maity | from Redmi 3S

Amazing And Awasome Review.
Thanks For Sharing.
2019-07-15 23:42:59

Resource Team

iMKajal | from MI 8

Fantastic Review!
2019-07-16 01:08:50

Grand Master Bunny

$huvo | from Redmi 4

Awesome review
2019-07-16 03:27:51

Beta Team-China

Haku-X | from Redmi 5 Plus

thanks for review..
2019-07-16 03:50:03

Master Bunny

1715389481 | from Redmi Note 4

Beautiful color!
2019-07-16 06:39:54

Master Bunny

1722642681 | from Redmi Note 7

Thanks for sharing
2019-07-16 06:55:15

App Review Team

swanux | from Mi MIX 3

Thanks for sharing
2019-07-16 06:57:18

Advanced Bunny

esseierre | from Mi MIX 2

thanks ...great post!.
2019-07-16 07:16:23

Pro Bunny

FromHeaven | from Redmi Note 3

Nice review, nice terminal, but not have much bands, finally: "Great photography camera"
2019-07-16 07:28:27