In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi S2

[Q&A] My wife's Redmi S2 keeps restarting on its own, what to do?

2019-07-08 23:38:31
1718 5
My wife's Redmi S2 suddenly began to restart on its own 2 days ago after leaving it idle for a few minutes. We thought its battery was drained but when I charged it, it's still at 60%. It would restart and get past the boot screen and into the lock screen / home screen but would restart again after a few minutes (sometimes in about 30 seconds). I tried turning it off once it completes its reboot. But when I turn it back on, it would continue its restart cycle. I also tried draining the battery then charging it to full without turning it on, but the problems persists after siwtching it on. I tried enabling Safe Mode but none of the methods I've searched for in Mi Community and other forums have worked so far—some have even led me to FASTBOOT but didn't get me beyond that. I tried to do a hard reset and selected Boot to System but even that didn't solve the problem.
It might be helpful to note that notifications for the following appear once it gets to the home screen:
  • Google has stopped working...
  • YouTube has stopped working...

I'm unable to uninstall these apps. Neither can I update them via the Play Store because the phone would have restarted by the time I get to open the PLay Store.

I was able to revert to the default theme and removed all the other installed themes from the Theme Store. Also cleared cache for the Themes app and other large apps or those not in use. Emptied trash as well. None of these solved the problem.

I tried updating System Apps like Launcher and System Services but, alas, the phone would also restart before download and installation completes.

There doesn't seem to be enough resources online to solve the issue, even within Mi Community.

It seems that the only option now is to flash / factory reset / wipe the phone but recent files and photos haven't been backed up because my wife hasn't used external storage since purchasing it in December last year.

I posted here hoping somone might have a solution I have yet to try to fix the issue.

Thanks in advance to anyone who'd be willing to assist.

Thank you!
2019-07-08 23:38:31
Favorites RateRate

Advanced Bunny

underscore0522 | from Redmi S2

Try going to mi cloud then turn off the find device option there.
2019-08-07 17:42:14

Pro Bunny

shanahben Author | from Redmi Note 5

underscore0522

Wish this solution came sooner 😅 I already factory reset the device, good thing I was able to confirm that photos were backed up to Google Photos. I hope it never happens again but if it does, I will most definitely try this. Thank you!
2019-08-07 21:35:46

Advanced Bunny

jared569 | from Redmi S2

underscore0522

So does this mean we can't use Find Device if this issue happens to my phone?
2019-08-09 19:03:17

Advanced Bunny

underscore0522 | from Redmi S2

Sadly, yes.. 😅😅
2019-08-26 20:20:51

Hi. I've turned the Find Device to Off but the restarting issue keeps happening on my phone (Redmi S2). I noticed that it's triggered when I press power button which I normally do to "wake" up the screen. It will restart many times within the span of five minutes then only my home screen will finally appear. I also realised that it started happening after I accidentally turned my phone to Fastboot mode (which I had to research after how it happened). Help!
2019-11-06 00:24:32