In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Chat

[Discussion] Noise-Cancelling - Everything You Need to Know About it and How it Works

2019-05-21 21:10:43
629 25

Hi Mi Fans,
If you want to drown out the outside world while listening to your tunes, noise-cancelling headphones are a great purchase. But how do they work, and what should you look for when buying a pair?

Let’s break open noise-cancelling headphones and see how they work.

Different Kinds of Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Noise-cancelling headphones come in two different types: passive, and active. As you can tell by the names, passive headphones block out the sound without doing anything extra; all of the sound-cancelling “technology” is within the headphone’s construction and material choice. Active headphones, on the other hand, actively work to cancel out the sound using sound cancellation. So, how do they differ, and which one should you buy?

How Do Passive Noise-Cancelling Headphones Work?

Passive noise-cancelling headphones aren’t complicated in design. The headphones are designed to deaden external noise by using materials good at muffling sound. There’s nothing else past the material, meaning the headphones are taking a passive role in cancelling noise—hence the name Of course, what the headphones use depends on the kind of headphones you’re buying. A pair of in-ear headphones, for example, may use different sound cancelling materials than over-ear.

In general, over-ear headphones come with the best passive cancelling. In-ear headphones can only do so much with their small size and proximity to the eardrum.

When Passive Noise-Cancelling Headphones Are Best for You
Of course, this passive noise-cancelling method won’t be as efficient as an active one. Active noise-cancelling headphones typically use passive methods on top of the additional features. However, there’s still plenty of reason why you should get them.

For one, they’re cheaper. If you want a pair of headphones that can block out soft ambiance noise, you may not need to spend extra on active headphones to achieve this. As a result, you can get passive headphones and save yourself some money. Also, active noise-cancelling headphones require power for their mechanisms to work, via a USB cable or batteries. If this sounds like a hassle to you, you’re probably better off with the “dumber” passive headphones.

How Do Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones Work?
Active noise-cancelling headphones work by making a constant effort to mute the sounds around you. To do this, they need to alter the sounds that are entering your ear. That way, only the music from the headphones will be heard, and anything outside will become muted.

Active noise-cancelling headphones work by listening to the sound around you. For this, a microphone is required, which you’ll find installed on all active noise-cancelling headphones. This tracks the noises occurring around you and measures the sound waves that make up those sounds. If you’ve ever seen someone speak near an oscilloscope, with sound waves appearing on-screen, these are what the headphones are detecting. When sound is detected, this must be cancelled out. So, how do headphones do that?

In contrast to when you speak into an oscilloscope, have you seen what happens when it’s dead silent? You’ll notice the bar flatlines. As such, it’s the headphone’s job to take the sound waves around it and cancel them out to create a flatline. The way it does this is by emitting a wave that is the direct inverse of what it’s hearing. The peaks and troughs of the sound waves meet one another and cancel each other out, which results in a flatline; in other words, sweet silence.

When Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones Are Best for You
Active noise-cancelling headphones don’t come cheap, but they do their job very well. If you’re working in noisy areas and regular headphones aren’t good enough to block the sound out, active noise-cancelling headphones are the best choice for you.

Should You Buy Noise-Cancelling Headphones?
Noise-cancelling headphones are fabulous, but they do require a significant financial investment. As such, not everyone will need noise-cancelling headphones, so you should think hard on if you need to spend the extra money on them.

People who benefit the most from noise-cancelling headphones are those who work or travel in very noisy areas while listening to music. These outside noises can interfere with your audio and make it hard to appreciate the music playing in your headphones. Noise-cancelling headphones are a smart choice for listening to music in louder environments.

Meanwhile, if you’re thinking about buying these headphones for the sake of merely blocking out sound, you may want to consider cheaper alternatives. Earplugs, for instance, are very affordable yet efficient at blocking out noise. If you don’t plan on listening to music in a loud environment, noise-cancelling headphones may be a waste of money.

How to Pick the Best Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Learning about noise-cancelling headphones is one thing; choosing one that’s right for you is something else. With so many models out there, which ones are best for you? When it’s time to choose new headphones, you need to ask yourself how much you’re willing to spend. This constraint will narrow down your range depending on your budget needs.

Do You Use Noise Cancelling Headphones or Earphones. Let us know in the comments.
(Source:1)
Single Poll thread Total 42 Users Voted

69.05% (29)

30.95% (13)
Submit

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +20 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-05-21 21:10:43
Favorites9 RateRate

News Reporter

ᎮᏒᎥᏁፈᏋ | from Redmi Note 4X