Hello MIUI Fans,
Xiaomi MIUI developers does a lot of work to backport some of Android’s newest features, they have modified OEM ROM in such a way that also removes some features as well. A big example of this is the removal of Safe Mode on MIUI devices. Traditional Android smartphones and tablets can long press on the power off option to get a Safe Mode prompt, but this isn’t possible on MIUI devices. There are other examples that we could list here, but thankfully there are ways around some of them.
With the introduction of Android Pie, Google added a feature that let the user configure Private DNS (or DNS-over-HTTPS) on their device. Cloudflare’s 184.108.40.206 private DNS server has become quite popular due to its privacy and speed, but Xiaomi MIUI has removed that feature in MIUI 10 (based on Android Pie). But, we can get around the removal of this feature Android Pie based MIUI 10 devices. Here is steps to do it:
1. Download and open QuickShortcutMaker
2. Scroll to the Settings area and tap on com.android.settings.Settings$NetworkDashboardActivity
3. Tap on the entry and it should take you to the network and internet settings where you now can set private DNS
Here you are!
Now, What can you do with this DNS settings?
Of course you can do lots of things, please search on the internet.
Private DNS is the best new feature in 9 Pie. I recommend using Adguard DNS for adblocking for your phone! No need to root or install apps that use VPN! Its simple:
Adguard Setup guide
1. From the Android Menu home screen, tap Settings
2. Tap Wi-Fi on the menu. The screen listing all of the available networks will be shown (it is impossible to set custom DNS for mobile connection)
3. Long press the network you're connected to, and tap Modify Network
4. On some devices, you may need to check the box for Advanced to see further settings. To adjust your Android DNS settings, you will need to switch the IP settings from DHCP to Static.
5. Change set DNS 1 and DNS 2 values to following:
for "Default" servers;
for "Family protection" servers.You can use
addresses respectively for Internet Protocol Version 6 instead.
See adguard setup guide for Windows/Mac/Android/iOS/Ubuntu/Router from here: Adguard Official Website
Is this thread helpful?
In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .