In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Chat

[Off-topic] [Mi Bunny Asks#05] As Bezels Shrink, Can Modular Phones Make A Comeback?

2019-05-20 16:27:59
354 10
Hello Mi Fans,

I can't help but wonder if a modular design future is something we're seeing to pop up, as devices lose the bezels and start offering more access to the display. So maybe this is where the modular idea can come in and actually find a way to surge ahead. It's true that modular phones didn't really take off like some companies had hoped, but being able to allocate all of the screen real estate to the display, and reduce those bezels to basically nothing, could leave some room for modular accessories like different front-facing cameras to rise to the top.

But, it still does tread into the same issue as the pop-out camera, in terms of having to wait to take a photo as you find the desired accessory. I'm willing to keep some bezels on my smartphones to make sure of that. That's an easy trade in my opinion.

What do you think? As bezels shrink on smartphones, would you consider a modular design future if it meant you could get as much screen real estate as possible? Or are you willing to keep some bezels in your life to make room for things like the front-facing camera? Raise your voice, take the Poll and Sound off below in the comments with your opinions.

As Bezels Shrink, Can Modular Phones Make A Comeback?
Previous Mi Bunny Asks Threads:
Single Poll thread Total 15 Users Voted This Poll has ended.

53.33% (8)

20% (3)

26.67% (4)
Submit

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +35 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-05-20 16:27:59
Favorites RateRate
I don't think so
2019-05-21 12:18:37
Yes, Maybe Modular Phone Can Make A Comeback!
2019-05-21 13:52:58

Beta Team-Global

georan. | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

yes maybe come back
2019-05-21 15:11:56
Yes, Modular Phone Can Make A Comeback
2019-05-21 15:13:57

Beta Team-Global

Colin Hopper | from Mi MIX 2S

perhaps they can
2019-05-22 06:44:25

Yes, Modular Phone Can Make A Comeback
2019-05-22 11:34:06
Bezels shrinking have had nothing to do with modulation. Remember how Google was planning to do this and it failed horribly. LG tried a toned down version of this and it only lasted one generation which was a few generations ago already.

Honestly the fact we are getting rid of bezels is likely to mean we are getting rid of all non-essential accessories too. I mean the most unfortunate of these is the loss of the audio jack. For some reason OEMs think this isn't essential when it obviously is so much so that other OEMs are marketing their phones with the feature. But besides this we are getting to a point where our future phones will just be this durable slab of display material. Maybe it'll bend. Maybe it'll be see thru. Maybe you can wear it like a wristband. But one thing's for sure you aren't going to be sticking additional things to it.
2019-05-23 09:09:17
Ye, Modular Phone Can Make a Comeback!
2019-05-26 23:07:58
Selalu Percaya Bahwa Sesuatu Yang Indah Akan Terjadi !!!
There's no future for modular phones.
2019-05-28 00:05:21
i hope so, i love modular
2019-06-09 05:24:11