In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tips and Tricks

[Tips & Tutorials] Wi-fi hot spot turns off by itself - how to fix (MIUI 8)

2018-05-11 17:46:35
3149 3
This is a tip if you have an issue with the wi-fi hotspot turning itself off after 5 minutes or so. This appears to be fairly common and I could not find a firm solution (apart from some people suggesting to turn off security which is a no-no for me) until I found the following.

What was happening is that I would set up the hotspot and activate it on my phone (Redmi Pro on MIUI 8 global), then connect to it from my laptop and start surfing the web. All fine until after about five minutes the hotspot would switch off by itself. This happened all the time regardless of what I was doing online.

It appears that the issue was caused by the hot spot name: it had two spaces in it and was fairly long. When I shortened it to a different name with 9 characters and no spaces it started working normally and no longer switched off.

Just wanted to share this in case others are struggling with the same issue. Not sure if it is a MUIU 8 issue, or an Android 6 issue - it is unlikely to be related to the phone model IMHO.

Cheers

2018-05-11 17:46:35
Favorites RateRate

Advanced Bunny

1672090673 | from Redmi Note 3

have same problem,
2019-05-30 15:46:41

Rookie Bunny

5299153215 | from app

I have redmi go and I am suffering from this problem . My hotspot get turnoff automaticaly after some minutes . I have reseted its settings many times also reboot mobile but nothing works . Plz help me and look into the matter immediately
2020-05-24 19:45:58
I was having the same problem on my Redmi Note 8 Pro with MIUI 12. I'll be connecting my laptop to the internet via the hotspot but after about 5 minutes there will be no internet! the WiFi connection is still exists and strong between the laptop and the phone but simply there will be no internet! I've notice that this problem only occurs only 5 minutes after I locked my phone screen. After length search I reached to the solution, it was an option in the battery saving settings turning of the data after 5 minutes of locking the phone screen. Thus the hotspot will remain as a connection after the 5 minutes but it will have no data. In MIUI 12 you can find this in Settings  Battery & Performance   click on the gear icon on the top right and set the option "Turn off mobile data when device is locked" to "Never".
2020-09-02 22:48:32