In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

MWC

[Mi Explorer Travel Journal] Tell Mi - Billy

2019-02-09 13:20:28
309 6
As a Mi Explorer, Xiaomi has given me the opportunity to openly write them to both ask questions and tell them what I like, dislike or want as a consumer.

Firstly, it's quite a daunting task - Xiaomi is a major company with over $21 billion in revenue in 2018, and at only 8 years old, is now the 4th Largest smartphone maker in the world; and not only smartphones or mobiles, Xiaomi has also created some amazing tablets, smart home devices, laptops and even smart TVs.

Things Xiaomi is Doing Right:

A common charging port (like USB-C or Micro-USB) for all devices with inexpensive, quality cables available
Extremely competitive pricing on devices
Open platform
Amazing customer support

Things I'd like to See from Xiaomi:

More products like smart bulbs and Tablets - both compatible, available and localized for the USA/UK English speaking market
A better system for unlocking the bootloader on devices
Fewer products that feel like Apple knockoffs - I mean this in the nicest way possible (see below)

Apple:

I've been a massive Apple user and fan since 2000 - I have had multiple laptops, routers, watches, iPods, iPads, airpods, desktops and AppleTVs all under one ecosystem in the last 19 years. In my opinion, Apple has lost its way a bit with new products and innovating, instead, it seems like they are releasing products with options and features that have been around many times for years with other companies. I'm not hating on Apple, but they charge a premium price for increasingly similar, more breakable products, and I think they have lost touch with what consumers want and need. That's not to say that the iPhone Xs isn't beautiful or that the airpods aren't awesome, but I think somewhere along the way Apple lost their soul and is now churning out mediocrity.

Apple Sins: (small caveat, these are just my thoughts and opinions - I'm not trying to bash Apple, but I do think they have some issues developing lately)

- Outrageous pricing
- Removing headphone jack
- Removing the USB on their laptops and using this as a vehicle to sell USB-C dongles
- Increasingly thinner devices with lower battery life
- Charging for memory increases rather than including an SD slot
- Peripherals that only work within their ecosystem - airpods, Apple watch, AppleTV, Facetime, etc

My hope for Xiaomi is that they continue to innovate designs further away from the Apple aesthetic and start building a look and product line that is more uniquely Xiaomi. I love Xiaomi's company ethos, their desire to bring technology to the masses and for everyone to be able to get a great mobile device in their budget; that they develop devices that work wherever consumers want to use them and focus on making the smartest, cutting-edge smart products.         
I'd love more smart devices, more features, more connectivity and a wired home of tomorrow via Xiaomi.

Xiaomi is a company that I am genuinely excited to talk about, show off and help educate other people about - there is a certain freshness and newness that is exciting and I am so glad to be involved and going to MWC to learn even more about Xiaomi and the current mobile industry.

Let me know what you think, what do you wish from Xiaomi in the future?

Thanks,

Billy

2019-02-09 13:20:28
Favorites2 RateRate

News Reporter

spud77 | from app

Totally agree about apple without Jobs they have lost their way and a company like xiaomi with its innovation and low prices could easily take the market if they released their full catalogue of products on the world and not just a handful of phones, the xiaomi UK website is lacking in most departments
2019-02-09 15:44:31
no mi without you

Super moderator

TheDuke | from app

very honest and robust thread.
2019-02-09 18:07:32

Advanced Bunny

BillyMay Author |

spud77 replied at 2019-02-09 20:44:31
Totally agree about apple without Jobs they have lost their way and a company like xiaomi with its i ...

I totally agree, I have seen their extensive range of products in store in China, and I think they have a lot of scope to take over some major markets here in the UK. Xiaomi products very much as good, and in most cases better and cheaper! They can easily take over, or at least compete in these markets below (plus a lot more):

Vacuum Cleaners:
Dyson
Roomba

Smart Lights:
Philips

Mobile Phones:
Apple
Samsung
OnePlus

Tablets:
Amazon
Apple
Microsoft

Laptops:
Apple
HP
Lenovo

Cameras:
Sony
Canon
GoPro

TVs:
Sony
Panasonic
LG
Sharp

Projectors:
BenQ
LG
Optoma

Personal Care:
Philips
Colgate
Remmington

Headphones:
Bose
Apple
Beats
Skull Candy

Cooking:
Tefal
Russel Hobbs
2019-02-10 06:40:40

Advanced Bunny

BillyMay Author |

TheDuke replied at 2019-02-09 23:07:32
very honest and robust thread.

Thank you, I want to be fair and positive because I think as consumers, most of us have devices from multiple brands and we all have different backgrounds and levels of tech knowledge.
2019-02-10 06:42:14

GunplaMad | from app

Xiaomi will hopefully listen and bring some more tech to this market and the whole Apple thing... Well they are continuously taking the piss and price is going up and up. What consumers don't realise is Apple has slowly single handedly destroyed the mobile industry and destroyed competitive pricing for phones and tariffs... Apple is the only manufacturer that holds of companies to ransom to do business with them...
2019-02-11 01:56:40

Advanced Bunny

BillyMay Author |

GunplaMad  replied at 2019-02-11 06:56:40
Xiaomi will hopefully listen and bring some more tech to this market and the whole Apple thing... We ...

Exactly.

Have you watched Stranger Parts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHP-OPXK2ig - really interesting about the economies of selling essentially the same product at 3 prices levels?
2019-02-11 07:13:36