In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Lifestyle

[Chat] How Young Is Too Young To Own A Smartphone?

2018-12-18 14:36:13
556 9
Hi Mi Fans!

So as parents, we have to balance the wants and needs of our children.
Whether it be money for the sweet shop, money for a new pair of trainers, or money to buy a mobile phone...

Question is how young is too young?

My eldest is 5, a boy, and he's been asking for an iPhone, because one of his friends at school has one, his friend is only 5 as well, but the parents strike me as a kind of money no object type of family.

We completely object to buying him a phone at this stage in his life (and definitely not an iPhone) so my question is again...

How old does a child have to be, to warrant owning a smartphone?

(Fyi, my little boys first phone will be a xiaomi, obviously)

Answers below please....

And give me a follow if you like what I do!
2018-12-18 14:36:13
Favorites4 RateRate

Super moderator

Torlyn | from app

It's really a hard one. I believe that it's more about the kid, and the circumstances, than a specific age. Though schools should really limit the things, as after all uniforms were put in place to keep kids from standing out on possessions, and phones will just bypass that.
2018-12-18 14:50:38

badboyofrock | from app

I don't believe that a child of that age needs a phone of any kind. If the child was old enough to go to a friend's house on his own, maybe 8, 9 or 10, you might want them to be able to keep in touch, but they still don't need anything like an iPhone. Any patent that gets a 5 year old an iPhone needs to give their head a shake.
2018-12-18 15:41:19

Semi Pro Bunny

incognito-X Author | from app

badboyofrock
I don't believe that a child of that age needs a phone of any kind. If the child was old enough to g ...

I couldn't agree with you more, to me, 10-12 is ideal, for the reasons you've mentioned.
2018-12-18 15:43:44

Pro Bunny

Zethazed | from app

badboyofrock
I don't believe that a child of that age needs a phone of any kind. If the child was old enough to g ...

people do it because in this way they feel cool. if a 5 yo child owns a phone, there's something wrong with the patenting and I bet it is because parents are not very present in the child's life and they think that allowing him/her to own a phone puts him/her more in contact with them (parents). You can tell me that nowadays there are apps to block websites/actions/whatever from the child's phone, but it is the concept that is completely wrong!
2018-12-18 16:02:58

Pro Bunny

Zethazed | from app

and I add that Children need contact with people in person, to develop emotions, to know how to react and keep contact with reality. new generations are already in contact with phones through their parents today, via photos, videos and sounds... i think that's enough. I know ot was the same with earlier generation regarding the tv. but the tv stays home, the mobile phone gets in your pocket and you decide how much to use it...
2018-12-18 16:06:57

Spam Hunter

ScubyGB | from app

12 years old old when they start secondary school, this is so they have some independence yet assurity if they need help. I've see too many young children in prams glued to a tablet playing games and when taken from them they kick off!
2018-12-18 19:53:35

GunplaMad | from app

This is a really hard question. I have two young boys and am dreading the day my boys will suffer from peer pressure to have a blood crap iPhone.. I believe Spud77 spoke about kids getting bullied for not having iPhone. I also spoke to a big cyclist hero on the Virgin Train last week about the issue he told me that there is a big problem with WhatsApp groups in school and kids get bullied on it and if not on it they get more bullied.. He has two teenagers of his own and finds this a particularly hard issue to address with the schools. I think socially people did to bring this issues to a wider audience and address what's the best course of action to take as parents and schools.
2018-12-19 00:38:42

Pro Bunny

Z Amin | from app

my kids are 11 and 9 and they are only allowed to use tablet 2 hours per week. when my 11 year old goes to secondary school I will buy her a Nokia feature phone just in case she needs to call me. I don't know how she will react but we are doing our best not to be in social media and use our phones Infront of the kids
2018-12-19 04:13:36
Xiaomi Mi5
Mr.Switch! I'm glad to hear that your son is already starting to follow your steps :D

I strongly agree with Zethazed, it is very important that children spend their best time with people to develop their personality, learn how to interact and keep contact with reality - in my opinion.

I can't even imagine what sort of technology new generations will have access to in the future... So, childhood is the best time to stay as far as possible from that, they will have all the time afterwards.
2018-12-19 05:41:37