In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tips and Tricks

[Discussion] Using Mi Remote App - in the Philippines

2018-03-19 02:34:49
12110 38
Using Mi Remote App - in the Philippines

INTRODUCTION

Nowadays, almost all appliances are controlled via remote control. TV, set-top box (cable), sound bar, et al. Each requires an individual remote controller. It's a mess having to find the right controller for your appliance/device. I for one have 6 remote control in my center table in our living room. Imagine the confusion whenever I need to change channel or use my mibox to watch on Kodi.

Enter the Mi Remote App!

One of the best feature/specification of your Mi Smartphone is the IR blaster. Xiaomi is one of the few vendors who implements the IR blaster on all its smartphones. The IR blaster essentially lets you easily control electronic appliance around you using your Mi Smartphone. Even better, Xiaomi has paired the infrared blaster with its handy Mi Remote app which Xiaomi periodically updates to add support for new appliances and devices.

The Mi Remote app makes it incredibly easy to use your Xiaomi device to control home appliances and devices around you.  Whenever you can’t find your remote with tons of remote in front of you, or you feel like pranking your friends, Mi Remote will be there to help.

Now Let's Get Started!

Step 1:
Look for the Mi Remote App in your Mi Smartphone by looking for this icon:

If you don't have the Mi Remote App or you have a different device with an IR Blaster, you can download it in the Google playstore through this link:

https://play.google.com/store/ap ... ontroller&hl=en

Opening the App will bring you to this screen:

Step 2: Press or tap the Green Add Remote button at the bottom of the App. Make sure that your Data/Wifi is on so that a plethora of device option will become available to you.

Step 3: After tapping  'Add remote' you will get a page with a variety of appliance selections. Select your appliance category and/or device from the IR Remote Selection which you need to control. Once you have selected the appropriate category, select the manufacturer and finally the model of the device.

Note: I tried adding a remote for my TV  so this instruction will follow the steps in adding this device.

Step 4: You will then be prompted to point the phone towards the device and tap on power option that appears on next screen, test all the remote variants and confirm by tapping Yes. Keep the button pressed until your device responds as the app will cycle through the various IR codes. Your phone will vibrate slightly when it sends a command over the IR blaster so you know that the app is sending IR signal in your appliance. Once the appliance responds, make sure to leave the on-screen button.

Step 5: Press Yes under the ‘Does the device respond’ question. You will then again have to point your phone towards the device and press an on-screen button. Release the button once the device responds. Confirm your selection by pressing Yes again.

Step 6: After adding your TV you'll be prompted to this screen based on your location (Philippines):

Step 7: Select your TV provider. Mine is Skycable - Digital Manila. After selecting, a list of Movies, TV Shows and Guide will be available via Peel app. Neat right?!

NOTE: If you can't see the guide maybe your phone doesn't have the Peel Mi Remote app yet so head over Google Playstore and download it using this link:

https://play.google.com/store/ap ... el.plugin&hl=en

Step 8: Voila! Finally a shortcut to quickly control your appliance will be added to your Mi Remote App home screen. Depending on the remote of the device that you have added, all the options to control it will be displayed on-screen. If not, additional functions will be hidden under the ‘More functions’ option, though, the most common ones will already be available on-screen.

SOME MORE NOTES:

** Of course you can't control the remote of your set-top box like skycable if you didn't add that remote yet. Only the remote of the TV has been added from my tutorial so basically you can only control power on and off and volumes of your TV, while flipping channels can only be handled by your set-top box or in my case, Skycable Digital.

So to do that, go again to the initial steps in adding a remote and choose Set-top box. Of course you should know the manufacturer of your Set-top box or else you won't be able to setup that box. If you're using Skycable Digital - Manila, you're in luck because that set-top box is probably Coship like mine, so you can do the steps and test your remote for your cable box.

After adding your set-top box and TV remote you'll be amazed that the remote can control both your TV and set-top box. Like automagically connected. :-D

Conclusion

The Mi Remote App makes my life easier by uncluttering the remotes on my living room and you're home as well if you can set it up properly. What makes the Mi Remote app even better is that it prioritize the list of remotes added to it depending on your location which happens automatically without any additional input from the user. So, if you are in your home, the list will automatically arrange itself to list those devices first that are in your home.

Neat eh?! Now use the Mi Remote app, it's so useful you'll thank me later. Ciao!

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +16 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2018-03-19 02:34:49
Favorites9 RateRate
Thanks for sharing this helpful tip!
2018-03-19 06:27:05

Süper moderatör

Czedie Author | from MI 6

Mi Comm Philippines
Thanks for sharing this helpful tip!

It's my pleasure to help in any way I can.
2018-03-19 08:08:22

Advanced Bunny

Josh Bucsit | from Redmi 5 Plus

nice. thanks for sharing....
2018-03-19 09:31:13

Süper moderatör

Josh Bucsit
nice. thanks for sharing....

You're welcome Sir
2018-03-19 09:57:27

Advanced Bunny

Kate Noda | from Redmi Note 4X

Great guide sir!

Data/wifi should also be on at first startup of the remote app too when you're about to set it up. I think it only gives a limited set of brands when you're not connected, but a plethora of other remotes appear when you do.
2018-03-19 20:54:37
Kate Noda replied at 2018-03-20 08:54:37
Great guide sir!

Data/wifi should also be on at first startup of the remote app too when you're abo ...

Thank you. Nice input @Kate I'll add that to the guide.
2018-03-19 21:02:52

Miko Alabado | from Redmi 5 Plus

Thanks for sharing this tip =)
2018-03-19 22:09:34

Semi Pro Bunny

arjaydee31 | from Redmi Note 4

Very helpfulll and informative! thank you sir
2018-03-19 23:18:08
Your friendly neighbor IT.

Süper moderatör

Miko Alabado
Thanks for sharing this tip =)

Thanks for the appreciation Sir. Hope it helps you and others in the community.
2018-03-20 00:30:01

Süper moderatör

arjaydee31
Very helpfulll and informative! thank you sir

Glad you liked it.
2018-03-20 00:30:41