MIUI General

[MIUI Review] Mi Remote: Turn Your Phone Into a Universal Remote Control

2018-03-09 05:32:42
6500 156

Hello Mi Fans,
Hope you guys are doing well. Let me start with a question. One day you and your friends want to watch a live Cricket match in your TV, but you couldn't find the remote control to turn it on and tune to the channel. What will you do at that moment? Well, Mi Fans already know the answer - we'll take our phone and control the TV using Mi Remote! But what's this Mi Remote? Don't worry, I am going to explain everything about this cool app in this thread. So without further ado, let's get started.

What is Mi Remote?
Mi Remote is a Universal Remote Control app that works with your phone's IR Blaster (Infrared Blaster) port. You can control almost all the appliances in your home with Mi Remote including TVs, Set top boxes, DVD Players, Smart Boxes, Air Conditioners, Projectors, Cameras and a lot more. Well it is not just limited to control the devices in your home, it can be used anywhere in the outside world like Caféterias, Airports, Railway Stations, Shopping Malls, etc  regardless the time. It's a perfect app that helps you to get rid of keeping too many remote controls in your home and while you're travelling. You only need one remote to control all of them and that is your phone itself!

How to add a new remote in Mi Remote?
To explain this, I am going to add a TV Remote. First you need to open Mi Remote app from your homescreen. Now click on the '+' icon at the top left corner.

Choose the device you want to add (here I am selecting TV). In the next screen, select the name of the manufacturer of your device

If the list of manufacturers is long, utilize the search function to find the right one easily. After selecting the manufacturer, the app will ask you to test the given buttons. If a button works and device responds, click on yes. Otherwise skip it by clicking the arrow given at the right side of the button.

Now give a name to your remote (not necessary) and click on Paired at the bottom. Your remote has been added!

My Room
This one is my favourite in Mi Remote app, also the most interesting feature. My Room allow us to control all the devices we already added in Mi Remote app as a single remote in a single page. With the help of Mi Remote, we can control our TV, AC, Set top Box, DVD Player, etc as a single remote without switching between their individual remotes. As the name of this feature suggests, it's very helpful to control multiple devices in our room. For a better understanding, take a look at the motion image below.

Steps to open My Room :
  • To open My Room feature, click on My Room button at the top right corner.

My Room Settings

To open My Room settings, click on the 3 dots at the top right corner in My Room.
1. Vibrate on Touch - To enable/disable a vibration while you clicking the buttons in My Room.
2. Add Shortcut - This will add an icon of My Room to the homescreen, so that you can easily access it anytime by clicking the icon.

3. Select Remote - To select the remotes which you want to show/hide in the My Room remote.

My Account
Backup your Remotes to the Cloud
You can take backups of your remotes in Mi Cloud to preserve them from losing in accidental deletion and such. Inorder to do that go to Remote backups--Back up in Mi Remotes settings. Backed up remotes can be restored at anytime you want using the Restore from Mi Cloud option.

Mi Remote Settings
General settings of Mi Remote app :
1. Vibrate on touch - To enable/disable a vibration while you clicking the buttons in individual remotes.
2. Show controls on Lock screen - To show/hide the remotes in Lock screen
3. We recommend using online data for new remotes
4. Feedback
5. Check for updates

Mi Remote is available for download in both Mi Apps & Google Play Store

Frequently Asked Questions
#1. Can I use Mi Remote app in non-Xiaomi devices?
― Yes, you can. Any device with an IR Blaster port can use Mi Remote app.
#2. Why Mi Remote is not working in my Mi MIX 2?
― Unfortunately Mi MIX 2 doesn't have an IR Blaster port. Mi Remote app requires IR Blaster to work.
#3. Why I am not able to control my Videocon D2H Set top box with Mi Remote?
― Mi Remote works on IR (Infrared) technology. Some devices using RF (radio frequency) technology in their remotes like Videocon D2H can't be controlled with Mi Remote app.
#4. Why Mi Remote shows Chinese devices instead of Indian devices in my phone?
― Change the region and language to India and English (India) respectively and reboot your phone. Then it'll show Indian devices.
#5. Why my device is not listed in Mi Remote?
― Support for more devices are getting added regularly in Mi Remote. If you couldn't find a device in Mi Remote, you should please wait patiently. It may gets added in the future.

What do you think about Mi Remote? Share your views in the comments section below