In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi Zone

[Entertainment] #AskMiAnything - Ask any questions you want to Xiaomi Employees and get them answered!

2018-02-02 05:01:31
11505 82
Hello Mi Fans!

Apologies for the delayed response but here are our answers to your questions! Feel free to drop more questions to us!

Q: What is the badge ID looks like for Mi employees?
In Chinese characters, it means that "Because of Mi Fans, that's why there's Xiaomi".

Q; Do you guys have uniforms or free from your working lookbook?
Our work attire is informal!

Q: Who is the team behind Mi Community?
Our teams consist of people from all over the world, including Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, Egypt, China, Canada, Kazakhstan, Spain, Mexico & India!

Q: How does a normal desk station of a Community employee look like?
This is my working desk!

Q: Are all Mi Employees required to use a Mi Phone? If yes, do Xiaomi provide it for free?
Nope, it is not compulsory for all employees to use Mi Phones. However, the company does provide some Mi Phones to its employees for use!

Q: What is the mission and vision of Xiaomi?
Innovation for everyone is the vision for Xiaomi. Xiaomi hopes to empower everyone with the joys and wonders of technology at an affordable cost.

Q: Does the HQ have a public place for tourists?
Unfortunately, not at the moment! But there are Giant Mi Logos outside the Xiaomi HQ buildings!

Q: When a gadget or smart appliance are released. Do you guys have a town hall meeting or you only receive email?
In your terms, we gather for a ‘townhall’ meeting!

Q: Do Mi Community or any of the department go out and volunteer for any charitable institution in Beijing?
Activities handled within Beijing are handled by the domestic departments in Xiaomi. The Mi Community Team is in the Global Department and we are primarily in-charge of markets outside China! On that note, we do work with charitable institutions; most recently in the Russia Mi Community!

Q: Does Xiaomi provide employee assistance programmes?
There are many benefits to being a Xiaomi Employee. Some of the benefits include subsidised meals, house rental, provision of transport services to & fro work, insurances, children education benefits so on and so forth.

Q: As employees, are there good feedback channels to provide suggestions, such as new colours or improvements to the office? I'm curious how such a large organisation taps into its massive bank of human capital!
Yes, we do have a dedicated system within the company that collects & acts on the feedback of all employees in a systematic manner.

Q: Do you have pantry areas like the big international firms?
Yes we do. There are snacks provided during tea-breaks every afternoon and various type of tea leaves are available for employees to boil and drink!

Q: How do the guys in HQ calls Lei Jun? Sir, Boss, or anything like that?
We usually call Lei Jun as Lei Zong (雷总).

Q: Any Mi fan from Mi Community ever recruited to the Beijing HQ for a job?
Yes, in fact, there are many Mi Fans that have been recruited to Beijing HQ for job positions!

Q: Who's the head of Mi Community app's UI and UX designing?
If you're able to browse through Mi Community thoroughly, those with the user group - Admins, are in-charge of the app's UI and UX designing. Let me know if you need help finding them :) There are lurking around the Mi Community! Then again, we would love any feedback to improve our app's UI and UX design, PM any of the Mi Comm Members and we'll give the feedback directly to them to improve!

Q: Who is the head of Global Mi Community?
Lewis is the head of the Global Mi Community

Q: Are MIUI Forum and Mi Community rivals (lol)?
I wouldn't say we are rivals but we primarily serve different purposes, though they may sometimes overlap.

Xiaomi has been establishing itself globally. In its effort to localise the content for each country, Mi Community's UI is set up, first and foremost, by countries. (This is its biggest difference from MIUI Forum, where countries are only included in subforums and not the main forum)

By segregating the forum into countries, this brings relevant benefits, such as to countries whose predominant language is not English. If you check out the Russian, Thailand, Spanish, Indonesian, Arabic forum, you cannot expect locals there to use English as a convenient means of communication (Unlike MIUI Forum where English is primarily the main language used). Xiaomi often organises official events for Mi Fans based in their relevant countries. It is through Mi Community where Xiaomi feels its easier to manage interaction with Mi Fans based on locations and countries.

Q: What is the company’s working culture? How is it different from other companies?
I would consider the company's working culture to be similar to that of a start-up. People are given more freedom to be creative and innovate with whatever employees feel would be best for Xiaomi.

Q: Does Lei Jun ever visit Mi community and look over at users problems/feedback?
It is known that Lei Jun's English proficiency isn't that strong. I believe he does occasionally look at the China Mi Community onto getting first-hand feedbacks from users about Xiaomi Products. I don't think he does look at the Global Mi Community Forums though.

Q: What was the last big achievement that was celebrated at the headquarters?
Xiaomi crossed the RMB 100 Billion Revenue Threshold!

Q: Who is the oldest admin at the headquarters?
Lewis is the oldest admin at the headquarters.

Q: Does Xiaomi offer any fun activities to its employees during the working hours to make the work more efficient?
There are pool tables, treadmills, cycling stations and table tennis stations for employees to relax and unwind from work!

Q: What is Xiaomi's biggest challenge this year?
To clinch back the top smartphone company in its domestic market, China.

Q: How much time does Lei Jun spend at the office? Or does he remain there like other employees?
I am not exactly sure about this, but he has always advocated for the phrase, "even sleeping is a waste of time", simply because there is so much work to be done to help serve all Mi Fans!

Q: Different comm members manage different countries, do you guys have any competition?
I would say it a healthy competition. However, given the differences in culture, languages and resources, we don't compare countries simply just by that as it would be an unfair comparison.

Q: If it's wasn't Xiaomi, what would Lei Jun be doing?
I am not sure about this answer. I once attended a briefing by him and he did admit that the smartphone industry is a highly competitive one. If he had known that it was this competitive, he would have chosen another profession. His passion to bring innovation to everyone, to empower every single being on earth with the wonders & joys of technology with an affordable price tag is a legacy and purpose that he wants to work towards for the rest of his life.

Q: When is the 2nd Mi Pop event in Singapore?
As of now, there are no official plans for a 2nd Mi Pop event in Singapore.

Let me know if you've any other questions! Will be glad to answer them all!

Hi Mi Fans, did you know the following?
As of 2017, Xiaomi is the world's 4th largest smartphone company! Lei Jun, the founder and CEO has an estimated net worth of US$6.8 billion. He is China's 24th richest person in 2017.

As a true hardcore Mi Fan, do you admire Xiaomi as a company as much as you love our smartphones and innovative products? Are you intrigued to know our working culture?

As a very special gift for our beloved Mi Fans, now you have the chance in a lifetime to peek inside the Xiaomi Headquarter, and yes, reply with question(s) at the bottom of this thread directly….and off it goes to our internal Mi Community admins working at the headquarter in BEIJING CHINA!

Most of Mi Community admins are employees in Beijing who manages our Mi Community forum and App!

Start listing down your questions. Here’s a few to start kicking!
  • What does HQ office look like?
  • What is the company’s working culture?
  • Who is the team behind Mi Community?
  • Who is the head of Global Mi Community?
  • Do you see Lei Jun at lunchtime?

Etc …….

Rules
  • Submission of questions closed on 8 February 2018, 2359pm
  • To win a mysterious medal, your reply must contain at least one question.
  • Only questions relevant to answer from a regular employee’s scope and scale.
  • Mi Community admins decide and select outstanding questions to answer.

Stay tuned to Mi Community as we disclose the date to announce our answers!
Come back and check this thread to see if we picked your questions!

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +15 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2018-02-02 05:01:31
Favorites22 RateRate

Master Bunny

Chinito | from Mi A1

This is a cool fan-centric initiative!

I'll start!

I think it's more interesting to answer our questions by means of PICTURES! Does anyone agree?! LOL

1. Same as the 1st question as above JJ but we like to see the facade and cool sides of the bldg.
2. What is the badge ID looks like for Mi employees? hehe
3. Do you guys have uniforms or free from your working lookbook?
4. Who is the team behind Mi Community. We'd like to see a group picture!
5. How does a normal desk station of a Community employee looks like?
6. Does all employees requires to have Mi phones? If yes, do Xiaomi provide it for free?
8. What is the mission and vision of Xiaomi?
9. Does the HQ have a public place for tourists?
10. When a gadget or smart appliance are released. Do you guys have a townhall meeting or you only receive email?

Since the headline evolves around Xiaomi being the 4th largest/profitable company along with Lei as one of the richest. I'm interested to know how Xiaomi help the ones who can't even afford their products.

11. Do Lei Jun shares his 6.8 Billion networth to charities?
12. Do Mi have a foundation that helps unfortunate ones. If yes, what is the name of the Mi Foundation?
13. Do Mi Community or any of the department go out and volunteer for any charitable institution in Beijing?
14. Does Xiaomi provide employee assistance program?

I have tons of questions...to follow :)
2018-02-02 19:49:34

Master Bunny

Kerk Lik Christopher | from Redmi Note 3

In the smartphone wars, who would be the most likely for Xiaomi to emulate your opponent? Why?
2018-02-02 20:07:22

Mi Comm team

谭将俊 (Tham Jiang Jun) Author | from Redmi 5 Plus

Chinito
This is a cool fan-centric initiative!

I'll start!

Wa..this is too hardcore haha, a lot of great questions here, will be answering them!!
2018-02-03 22:38:17

Master Bunny

Chinito | from Mi A1

谭将俊 (Tham Jiang Jun)
Wa..this is too hardcore haha, a lot of great questions here, will be answering them!!

You asked us with questions..so here I am hahahaha.
@Kerk's question below is also deep hehe.
@JJ, I'm not after the prize. I'm good with if my questions are answered :) That's priceless!
(^=^)
2018-02-03 22:42:19

Master Bunny

Kerk Lik Christopher | from Redmi Note 3

Chinito
You asked us with questions..so here I am hahahaha.
@Kerk's question below is also deep hehe.
@JJ ...

I wonder what kind of question in your mind to JJ..
2018-02-04 18:44:08

Master Bunny

Chinito | from Mi A1

Kerk Lik Christopher
I wonder what kind of question in your mind to JJ..

I have reserved my questions to JJ. He will be flooded with Nito's questions too! LOL
2018-02-04 18:46:11
can u take a picture of lei jun desk
2018-02-04 22:55:48

Rookie Bunny

1666279487 | from MI MAX

my mi max 1 local set never get update to miui 9 may i know why
2018-02-05 05:01:36

Pro Bunny

Sullivanyang | from MI MAX 2

I am curious about employee lounges, do you have pantry areas like the big international firms?

Also, what is it like to work for a company like Xiaomi in terms of company culture and work environment?
2018-02-05 05:12:07

Rookie Bunny

1580498809 | from Redmi Note 4

As employees, are there good feedback channels to provide suggestions, such as new colours or improvements to the office? I'm curious how such a large organisation taps into its massive bank of human capital!
2018-02-05 05:34:03