Chat

[Off-Topic] Hear what our #ShotOnMiA1 judges have to say about shooting the Perfect Photo...

2017-12-07 05:38:04
15117 319

Hi Mi Fans,

With less than a week till the deadline of the Xiaomi Photography Challenge #ShotOnMiA1, submit now to grab the final chance to win USD 30,000: http://event.mi.com/in/challenge2017/mia1/

Today we met up with 3 judges from IPA and asked them a series of questions as well as received their suggestions on taking the perfect photo. Introducing our judges…

ROHIT VOHRA
is a street/ travel photographer, an educator and the Co-Founder & Editor-in-Chief of APF Magazine. He is one of Asia’s most prominent street photographers, and a member of the APF Collective. His works have appeared in numerous newspapers and magazines all over the world.

Sutanta Aditya
is an Indonesia photojournalist who is an independent photographer who covers photo stories focusing on social issues, humanity, health, disasters, the environment, volcanoes, and nature. His work has been used and published in mass media in online and print outlets all around the world.

Christina Force
is a photo-consultant and has judged professional photo competitions around the world. Christina has been a guest speaker at many AIPA conferences and seminars, and has been an International Photo Award judge since 2011.

Our Xiaomi Global Photography Competition celebrates the everyday moments that anyone can capture through mobile photography. As a photographer, what kinds of strategies do you think are most important to capturing everyday life?

Rohit: As a street photographer, when I step out, I am only looking at light and how it is interacting with the subjects. There are no specific strategies that I have in mind. Often the scene unfolds rather quickly in front of your eyes. One does, however, need to be intuitive and aware of his surroundings.

Shot by Rohit Vohra

Chrstina: When I am judging competitions, or actually reviewing any shots, which I do all the time, I am looking for two main things: A strong message which you ‘get’ upon first glance and a strongly emotive feeling. These are essential for good storytelling, especially in order for it to come across in one image. This is primarily achieved through good composition and use of light.

What kind of equipment do you usually carry with you?

Rohit: As a street photographer, a small camera helps. There are times when I shoot only with the mobile phone, it’s a fun thing to do. Mobile phones today are fast, the quality is excellent, low-light performance is outstanding, they fit in your pocket and you always have them with you. Also you can make big prints with them. That’s all I am looking for in a camera.

Sutanta: I wanted to capture the power of this natural disaster and tried to use geological equipment to predict certain moments, but in the end, this was a perfect shot. I had gotten a shot earlier, but using the wrong lens. So I was lucky to get another chance.

What kind of stories do you hope to capture through your photography?

Rohit: The idea is to include more and more information about the place or street. There is a thin line in creating these images; one has to be careful that they don’t appear chaotic to the viewer. I would want the viewer to see how various moments can coexist and sometimes contradict each other in the same frame. Stories about life are often complex and simple at the same time. The idea is to always capture emotion and share it with the world.

Shot by Sutanta Aditya

Sutanta: [in response to the photo he captured of Mount Sinabung Volcano] Photojournalists have an important role in recording the history of this “unpredictable” natural disaster as a means of gathering information for research and helping to build disaster preparedness. This is a why it is important to use photography to capture the stories around us.

What is your advice to amateur photographers?

Rohit: I would say, keep it simple. Stay honest. Feel at home when you are out in the streets. Educate your eye to see things before they happen. Anticipation goes a long way in Street Photography. Learn from your mistakes. Be sensitive to people on the street and lastly the essence of street photography is in the photographer’s vision and not in his camera. Go out and shoot!

Sutanta: If you want to capture a certain moment, you need to be well-prepared to capture it before the moment is gone.

Christina: Shoot what you love, and shoot lots and lots. Learn technique and get to know your gear, then forget it all (It will still be in you) and go back to shooting from the heart. Don't shoot what you think others want to see- shoot what you want to shoot.

With all the advice from these photography experts, you now know what they are each looking for and can proceed to snap and upload the last few days away!

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +21 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2017-12-07 05:38:04
Favorites272 RateRate

Device team

RAJUKAMMELLA | from Redmi 4

Wow, great to see this Poeple (:
2017-12-07 05:40:22
FEEL FREE TO P.M ME FOR ANY HELP.

拉朱

Bunny Avanzado

The Messi | from Mi A1

Gotta post the best photos .
2017-12-07 05:47:23
Invalid floor, the posts have been deleted #3

Bunny Novato

Kumar vinay | from app

this phone is perfect
2017-12-07 05:55:29

Bunny Pro

RV21 | from Redmi 3S

good........
2017-12-07 06:00:02

Bunny Master

Vikas kuri | from app

great pictures and great person
2017-12-07 06:02:05

Bunny Avanzado

Amir s | from Mi A1

Experience counts ,so are the judges ....
2017-12-07 06:06:44

Bunny Novato

1654234320 | from Redmi 3S

gfgfhdhddt hd dfujvg
2017-12-07 06:13:05

Bunny Pro

Sri23 | from Redmi Note 3

thanks for sharing
2017-12-07 06:15:17
Sri23

Bunny Pro

Vikas. Vk | from Redmi 3S