Hello MI fans,
Hope you all enjoying this weekend. Today I'm going to tell you everything about Custom ROMs and how to flash them on your device. Most of the android users use Stock ROM, but users who like to have a few modification and customization in their phones use Custom ROMs. We know that Android is open source and therefore any developer can edit the code and make their own custom ROMs. The Custom ROMs are more efficient, less battery usage, root access, and some own customizations which were developed by the Android developers. Now Let's start procedure but before that take a peek About the custom ROMs and their benefits.
What is a ROM?
ROM stands for "Read-Only-memory" portion of the hardware on the Android smartphones or tablets. All Android devices come with a stock ROM installed by the manufacturer. The ROM shipped on Xiaomi phone's are called MIUI. ROM is used to refer to the firmware stored in the internal memory of the device. It can also refer to a file prepared for the purpose of replacing this firmware with another version of using a special method.
What is a Custom ROM?
Custom ROM is a modified firmware version of the Stock Google Android firmware based on Google Android Platform.With custom ROM, These ROMs are just some modifications done over the original Android source and made compatible with the device.You can upgrade your android version even if your manufacturer didn't provide you a firmware update. And the size of the custom ROMs is a very low size for helping to improve the overall performance of the phone.All the latest custom ROMs are built with latest Android version and some cool customizations. Most of the custom ROMs need root access! with the root access, you can edit or modify your phones as your own.
Prerequisites before flashing ROM's
1. A Xiaomi device with at least 50% charge.
2. Laptop or PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 10 (Make sure you disabled the Driver Signature Enforcement) or you can do that from here
3. Download and Install Necessary Drivers like ADB drivers, Qualcomm drivers etc
4. Unlocked bootloader(Guide to Apply for permission & Unlock bootloader)
5. Latest TWRP (Download from here)
6. New and Improved Custom ROM.
7. Google Apps (Gapps) (Download from here)
8. Latest SuperSU (Only if you need root access) (Download from here)
Make sure you Download the TWRP, GAPPS, SUPERSU, and the Custom ROMs which is compatible with your device otherwise the device will enter into a boot loop or brick.
How to flash a custom ROM
Just follow this thread steps and make sure you downloaded all the files mentioned above and everything's gonna be fine (How to flash a custom ROM).
You need a custom recovery (TWRP) on your phone to perform custom ROM flash, you can find theTWRP installation guide on their respective device subforums.
Note: - Remember before you perform a wipe or flash through via the TWRP! do not forget to take full Android backup. Just follow these step
Note: - Flash Custom ROM will void your warranty. If anything goes wrong while flashing, don't blame us. It's a risk that you choose to do so whatever happens you are responsible for it and not us.
New and Improved Custom ROMs
1. Lineage OS (Which is the basic Custom ROM) (Lineage OS official website)
2. Paranoid Android OS (Paranoid Android official website)
3. Slim OS (Slim ROM official website)
4. Omni OS (Omni ROM official website)
5. Nitrogen OS (Nitrogen OS official website)
6. Citrus CAF OS (Citrus CAF OS official website)
7. Resurrection Remix OS (Resurrection Remix OS official website)
8. AOSP Extended OS (AOSP Extended OS official website)
9. Viper OS (Viper OS official website)
10. Carbon OS (Carbon OS official website)
These are the few among many new and improved Custom ROMs which are available for MI devices (Not for All MI devices). All these ROMs are running with the latest Android version (which is Android Nougat). If I forgot to mention any Custom ROMs here? then let us know in the comment box.
Benefits of Custom ROMs
1. The primary advantage of flashing a custom ROM is that you won’t have to wait for the latest Android updates anymore as you can always get the updated versions of the latest Android from reliable Custom ROM developers as soon as the new version is launched.
2. Get rid of the unnecessary apps on your device after flashing a Custom ROM, in order to enhance the performance of your device.
3. You can choose from an array of different custom ROMs from renowned developers and communities offering a great array of different features that are denied on Stock ROMs.
4. More device control. With the policy system disabled, you can modify almost anything.
Where can we find Custom ROM's?
Well, You can find most of the Custom ROMs for your device were available from XDA-DEVELOPERS website which you can go from here. These ROMs are also available on their official websites (The links I mentioned with the custom ROMs names). Make sure you to download a custom ROM which is compatible with your device otherwise, the device will enter to boot loop or brick.
XDA is a mobile software development community over worldwide. Most of the ROMs and kernel's are maiden by XDA Developers, You can search in their forum for ROMs, Kernel's, and supports.
Custom ROMs are modified version of the Stock Android ROM based on Google Android Platform. Custom ROMs are for those who want some customization on their phone and want to use it to its full potential. Flashing a Custom ROM can be a risky process unless done with utter care.