In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note

[Tips] Protecting your XiaoMi phone before it gets stolen!

2017-07-01 15:57:39
23188 8

Hey Guys!

Adriel here with another MIUI Tip (well, it's along and rather complicated one and qualifies more as a how-to, but hopefullyit's useful nevertheless) :D

Look, things happen. Phones get stolen, accidently left it on the coffee shop tables, nobody likes losing their phone,but sometimes it happens. The best thing we can do is to actively try to prevent you from losing your data, allowing the thief to use the phone, and tracking the phone.

Locating Your Phone and Revoking Commands Remotely

Both Google and XiaoMi provide remote tracking solutions to Xiaomi phones. XiaoMi has Mi Cloud, while Google has Find My device.

XiaoMi's solution, MiCloud's Find Device, does require a Mi Account because (as the name suggests) it is tied to your Mi Account. Enabling it is simple, find the Mi Account appon your phone and open it, tap Mi Cloud, and enable "Find Device".Once you have done so, you can easily track the device on your computer bygoing to i.mi.com and selecting Find Device and use features such as...

1.   Locating the phone(what a surprise.)
2.   Ringing the device at its loudest volume with a rather high-pitched sound
3.   Locking the devicewith your Mi Account Password (you can also leave a note that would display onscreen)
4.   Wiping all thecontents of your phone including the memory card
5.   Figuring out the number of the current SIM in the phone
6.   Preventing the thief from factory resetting the phone and using it without logging in first into your Mi Account (if you are familiar with iCloud Lock, this is very similar).

Google's solution, Find My Device, is not as fully featured, but as it's enabled by default it canbe an absolute life savior when you forgot to setup Mi Cloud's solution. Find My Device also has a mobile app, but Mi Cloud's online website also scales very well to mobile devices.

You can locate your phone with Google's option by going to google.com/android/find , and once you are in there you can use features such as

1.   Locating the phone
2.   Ringing the device at its loudest volume with your ringtone
3.   Locking the device andleaving a message
4.   Wiping the contents of your phone
5.   Seeing what network the phone is connected to and the phone's current battery life.

Both solutions are great and I would personally recommend enabling both. However, if I had to choose one, I would choose Mi Cloud due to it having more features (thatare useful!) and its ability to work great in countries where Google is blocked (like China). I do find it to be somewhat inaccurate at times though so again activate both.

Of course, do remember that the above two services require the phone to be connected to the internet through wifi or celluar data. If the thief disables network connectivity or resets the phone, none of these tracking solutions will work.

Securing Your Data

As we move further into a generation where our lives are stored in our phone, personal data falling in the wrong hands can be worse than losing a phone. It is very important to secure the data in our phones to ensurethat even if it does get stolen or lost, the chances of thieves getting into the phone is slim.

The first (and most obvious) thing you can do is to set a password. Be it a pin, pattern, or long alphanumeric password, this is a good, first barrier into preventing a thief from getting into a phone. Additionally, withdevices like the Redmi Note 4 having such a fast fingerprint sensor that makes unlocking the phone easy, the excuse for not having one is a lot lower. Enabling it is easy as well, just head over to the Settings app, tap Lock Screen & Password, tap Set screen lock, and proceed to set anauthentication method.

Secondly, you can encrypt your phone. This is honestly oneof the best things you can do to secure your data. Encrypting your phone will basically jumble up all the data on your phone with a certain algorithm that istied to a password. Thus, when you restart or cold boot your phone, it willprompt you for a password before it can boot. With encryption, it is extremely hard to get to your data without this password.

Encryption is not like your typical lock screen. A lockscreen password just is a simple software layer that asks for a password. It does not touch your data, it still leaves it as it is. If someone is savvy enough, they can easily bypass it and get into your data. Analogy time: think of a room with a table and documents on top of it being your phone and your data. If you don’t encrypt your phone, but enable a lock screen password, you just have a simple door lock installed which a thief can easily break down witha simple kick and swipe away your data.  With encryption however, you basically put your documents in a safe that only unlocks with a certain key (and no you cannot pick it). Thus, a thief can come in, but he can’t get into your documents.

Enabling encryption also typically won’t decrease performance. In fact, for phones running android marshmallow, the phone is already encrypted out of the box. It just has a password called “default_password” that will be changed when you set it up.

To enable encryption, go into settings, additional settings, privacy, encrypt device using lock screen password, and tick it on. Simple as that. Do note that your memory card will not be encrypted so people can still access files located there.

Lastly, you can bootloader lock your phone. Bootloaderlocking your phone will basically make it a lot harder for people to tamper with your phone’s operating system and view your data (you are safe data wise with encryption though) I don’t have a written guide on what bootloader locking is, but if you are interested to learn more about it, I do have a video linked(here)

Securing Your Phone (A.K.A. How to prevent the thief from using the phone)

Rendering a device useless to a thief is great for decreasing the incentive of doing it. Xiaomi’s find device service is again a great tool for doing so.

When one enables find device on a Mi Phone, it basicallyties the phone’s identity to a server. When one resets the phone, he or shewill not be able to complete setup and subsequently use the phone without firstconnecting to a network and logging into your account. With this, you now have a phone that really is only useful for parts. That is, if you lock the bootloader.

As this Find Device software is a feature exclusive to XiaoMi’s MIUI Software, if one’s bootloader is unlocked, one can flash(basically install) a custom ROM (Operating System) to bypass it or even a hackto get pass this in MIUI. Locking the bootloader makes this process a lotharder (again link here to learn more about locking bootloaders.)

(Photo source: imei.info)
Lastly, you can contact your mobile carrier and ask them to blocklist the IMEI of your phone. The IMEI is how your mobile networkidentifies your phone, contacting your carrier to blacklist it will make itunable to connect to the mobile network anymore. To do so, call up or go toyour carrier store while bringing your phone box (it should have stickers onthe back with your IMEI on it).

Do note that doing so will still make the device usable on Wi-Fi,and additionally if you do find it, unblacklisting it might be hard. As such, I only recommend doing so if you truly know that your phone is stolen.

With phones being a heavy investment and data being priceless, its important to secure our phones. Hopefully these tips will help you stay safe, if you have any more, feel free to leave them down below.
Till next time!
-Adriel

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +1 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2017-07-01 15:57:39
Favorites7 RateRate
This is a good thread but let me mention the below,

If no network or data on the phone how are you able to lock or erase it? I believe these require network access.

Furthermore if that person who pick up your phone, definitely he/she will remove your SIM card or set it to airplane mode.
2017-07-01 18:23:03

Advanced Bunny

Adriel Author | from Redmi Note 4

玉石俱焚
This is a good thread but let me mention the below,

If no network or data on the phone how are you  ...

> Of course, do remember that the above two services require the phone to be connected to the internet through wifi or celluar data. If the thief disables network connectivity or resets the phone, none of these tracking solutions will work.

as mentioned :). if mi cloud lock is set up beforehand though, it'll work offline as well!
2017-07-01 18:46:20
Adriel  replied at 2017-07-01 21:16
> Of course, do remember that the above two services require the phone to be connected to the int ...

Also even though bootloader is locked it has another way to reflash the ROM without obtaining the Mi Unlock permission. :)
2017-07-01 20:29:01

Advanced Bunny

Adriel Author | from Redmi Note 4

玉石俱焚
Also even though bootloader is locked it has another way to reflash the ROM without obtaining the  ...

Not really. Using edl to flash ANY miui based ROM (that doesn't have the mi account app tampered with) will still be stuck with the find my account lock. It will refuse to setup without being connected to the internet to verify it's status. It is tied to imei afaik (or maybe serial numbers). Flashing another ROM (like lineage) without unlocking is close to impossible on new devices like the Redmi note 4, though somewhat possible with a hack on older devices like the Redmi note 3.

At that point though, nothing much you can do already.
2017-07-01 21:54:45

Pro Bunny

소피아 | from Redmi Note 3

Thanks for sharing
2017-07-10 17:11:32
Adriel  replied at 2017-07-02 00:24
Not really. Using edl to flash ANY miui based ROM (that doesn't have the mi account app tampered w ...

yes. thank for sharing this. i concur with you on this. flashing ROM on Mi devices is not as simple as ABC like last time.
2017-07-11 07:19:53
君子之交,淡如水
Adriel  replied at 2017-07-01 18:46:20
> Of course, do remember that the above two services require the phone to be connected to the int ...

if mi cloud lock is set up beforehand though, it'll work offline as well!

Let say, the mobile is having home screen lock and lost, the thief got the phone and he switched it off.

1) Now we logged into the mi.cloud and google android device manager and locked it using both options.

"Lock device command was sent out" and "It will be executed after the device receives command" (mi cloud will display this message)

1) If he comes to online anytime, it will lock and shows the locked message.[ I have tested on my phone.]
2) if he wipes or reset the phone, again when he logs after reset what happens in this case (boot log is not enabled). please share.3) if boot log is enabled where will the account info. will be stored. (at boot it is showing lock screen again). Please explain.

very good information, for who lost their phone once like me :)

thanks.

2017-09-07 13:16:36
Is it possible to use encryption on Xiaomi Mi A1 ?
2018-02-19 21:01:51