In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Global Fans

[Discussion] why the obsession for updates?

2019-09-16 18:46:04
478 14
I have noticed more and more that people are going mad for Android 10 and also MIUI 11 ...... now for me any of these updates are a bonus but possibly i reckon it should be more compulsory for security related updates to happen more regularly

the thing is when i purchased my phone i researched it a lot, and to me it did everything that i required then, and even if i did not get any updates it would still mostly do everything that i require now ..... and yes serious bug fixes are a good reason for updates but when there are no bugs to fix and no need for new features yet people still say that they are disappointed with the phone not getting updated just for the sake of getting updated

if the phone does not do what you require done, then why did you buy it in the first place and not look for something that does everything that you want done? IMHO most people are just being unreasonable in their expectations and in the end it is just a stupid situation ..... especially the begging and pleading for updates that you don't need and then demanding fixes because the update messed something unexpected because you wanted it quicker is totally silly in the extreme, and people should stop doing this and they should treat these updates as bonuses if they do happen but remain patient and allow the developers the time to perfect the updates before release instead of whining and moaning for earlier releases because that whining and moaning gets more irritating by the day

2019-09-16 18:46:04
Favorites1 RateRate

Pro Bunny

RockinBandit | from MI 3W

Totally agree with you, I think of the millions of people across the world who aren't phone buffs but have one and probably don't know what an update is and are quite contented.
2019-09-16 19:41:27

Semi Pro Bunny

leon1330 | from Redmi Note 7

totally agree with you!!!!! keep it up
2019-09-16 20:13:07

Master Bunny

Leonitis | from Redmi Note 7

I agree, I look forward to receiving the update because of the security patch and sometimes they add something new
2019-09-16 20:52:01

Semi Pro Bunny

FoUfOs | from MI 8

Totally disagree with u...
Xiaomi has many many phones in different price range and i can "be with u" in case of low or mid range phones BUT if u have paid for a flagship phone like Mi brand then u demand the best on hardware AND software department.
2019-09-16 22:53:42

Pro Bunny

Alex Vorpahl | from Mi MIX 3

I agree but people have to realize, Xiaomi is not the only phone company who doesn't release updates often and drops support "relatively" quickly.
2019-09-16 23:29:27

Pro Bunny

RockinBandit | from Mi 9 SE

Alex Vorpahl
I agree but people have to realize, Xiaomi is not the only phone company who doesn't release updates often and drops support "relatively" quickly.

Agree I bought a Redmi 4 Prime top of the mid range and dearest it was dropped not long after release but the lower Redmi 4s were looked after. Boy were we angry.
2019-09-17 00:39:13

Rookie Bunny

Luki1412 | from MI 9

Security patches fix security holes that put your phone and data at risk. These NEED to be released regularly as ne threats are discovered every day. Bugfixes are needed because they issues that shouldnt be there but werent found when the firmware was released. So I would expect both. When it comes to new features, those are considered a bonus. New android 10 adds support for security patches through google store so I definitely want that, just like systemwide dark. If you dont care about your security or youre so oblivious to the threats then thats your problem. Nothing wrong with expecting security patches and bugfixes for your phone. Phone manufacturers offer software support as a part of the phone purchase.
2019-09-17 02:16:38

Master Bunny

naughty001 Author |

Luki1412 replied at 2019-09-17 08:16:38
Security patches fix security holes that put your phone and data at risk. These NEED to be released regularly as ne threats are discovered every day. Bugfixes are needed because they issues that shouldnt be there but werent found when the firmware was released. So I would expect both. When it comes to new features, those are considered a bonus. New android 10 adds support for security patches through google store so I definitely want that, just like systemwide dark. If you dont care about your security or youre so oblivious to the threats then thats your problem. Nothing wrong with expecting security patches and bugfixes for your phone. Phone manufacturers offer software support as a part of the phone purchase.

i said all of that that mostly - yes they can issue bug fixes, and the security updates should be compulsory but as for the rest - if you researched your phone properly when you purchased it and it does everything that it should do when you purchased it, then why would you want it to do more now? which is what i'm asking if you read my opening post properly

I think that too many people are purchasing their phones not because of what they expect it to do but because they want to show off and that's not a great reason for the purchase ie its more for your vanity than sanity

my phone does a lot more now than when i purchased it but i am not going to die without those new features because i was happy with what my phone did before any update - and to be honest because i don't game so not one single bug fix affected my personal usage in the slightest - and if my phone is left as is and only security updates are issued it is more than good enough and i can still use the phone for a year or two - because i'm not jealous of what newer phones would bring to the table (the newer phones mostly add speed increases and not really serious functionality increases) and speed is relative ie as time goes on if it seems slower because faster phones have been released then that is normal and in your own personal replacement cycle you have to plan when that speed gets important for you

for me speed changes are relatively unimportant and real functionality counts for more, and sometimes that takes two to three years before it shifts reasonably enough to warrant changing phones (possibly even longer depending on your phone) updates are actually totally unimportant to me besides for security updates and bug fixes - i could live without MIUI 11 and also Android 10 if i don't get them .... and yes i would be happy to get them but it isn't a life or death situation like many people make it ie starting hundreds of threads asking "when will i get Android 10 for my phone" or "when will i get MIUI 11 for my phone" - because in reality the phone was designed with specific software in mind it might not work as well if its updated and then you will hate it rather than enjoy it
2019-09-17 03:09:19

Pro Bunny

sabai-sabai | from Mi A2 Lite

FoUfOs
Totally disagree with u...
Xiaomi has many many phones in different price range and i can "be with u" in case of low or mid range phones BUT if u have paid for a flagship phone like Mi brand then u demand the best on hardware AND software department.

bro, Xiaomi Mi 9 IS a flagship phone, but you're buying WITHOUT a flagship price :-) whereas, some of those flagships WITH flagship prices update even slower, go figure ;-)
2019-09-17 03:32:01

Master Bunny

Peter666 | from Redmi 5A

You are right!
2019-09-17 06:21:45
NÉMESIS