In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi Gadgets

[Review] Throwback Review: The Legendary Mi 3!

2019-07-25 10:58:57
2167 61

Throwback Review: The Legendary Mi 3
by mitch002

The very first Xiaomi phone that captured my heart and made me switched to this company is no other than the legendary Mi 3. The only phone that I have held that is so rectangular in design (looks like a powerbank these days), and quite edgy to be honest, but of course those are so yesterday, how can I complain right?

I am glad I was able to buy a brand new sealed Mi 3 and this was the phone I never did an unboxing since I was only a regular me back then, just another user of Xiaomi. If I was who I am 5 years back, this is how I will unbox this awesome phone. So sit back and relax, let me entertain you the retro way.

Tech Specs of the Mi 3:

Unboxing the Mi 3

We have a plain brown box with a MI Logo on the upper right corner

At thge back we have the specs printed in Chinese characters

Getting the first look on the Mi 3

Manuals, Mi 3, Sim Ejector Pin, Micro USB Cable, 10W Charger

Design

The Mi 3 is quite a squarish design, which makes it unique and standout compared to other flagships of its league. The distinct design is quite nice and it does give you a nice grip as the sides are rounded to prevent the edgy feeling on the sides. Now the top is quite flat and the corners does feel a little edgy, its not really that comfortable should you run your hands on the corners. The MI logo which represent the company are present on the upper left bezel of the phone screen as well as at the back cover and its embossed by the way.

The front with a peeloff film with the MI logo

The Notification LED and the MI Logo

Volume Rocker and Power button

Sim Tray (1 Normal Sim Size), Noise Cancellation Mic and Audio Jack

Micro USB Port and Loudspeaker

13MP camera and Dual LED Flash

Embossed MI Logo

Display and Audio

The Mi 3 sports a Full HD display at 5 inches and it was quite impressive. The good thing about 5 incher phones is that its quite ample on the hands especially for Asians whose hands are not as big as those from the Western part of the world. We tried to watch some movies on thie phone and it was quite ok. The sounds on the loudspeaker were weak and we do recommend you trying on a headphone jack for better sounds entertainment.

Processor

Instead of being able to grab the global variant which is a SD 800 2.3Ghz Quad Core Processor, we were able to buy the China variant sporting a Nvidia Tegra which can power up to 1.8Ghz Octacore. There is not really much difference, in terms of multitasking both did performed well. We tried on some games like Candy Crush and it was running smoothly on this flagship phone.

We tried the AnTuTu benchmark and it was awarded with a 17120 points. Which is already impressibe during that time.

MIUI V5

Camera

The main camera of the Mi 3 is a 13MP shooter coupled with a 2MP front snapper. The rear camera was able to capture some great photos while there are still some limitations to it like the focus is quite a bit weak. It does took me some time to properly focus on a single subject. On night sceene, its quite obvious that its quite a bit grainy.

Sample Photos

Selfie Camera

Battery

The Mi 3 is quite a bit slow in charging, I drained the phone to 20% and was able to charge it full using the supplied charger and cable fro around 3 hours and 49 minutes. The performance of the phone is not bad and I used it for a week as a daily driver, the battery life is quite good as I was able to last thru the day without having to charger the phone.

Verdict

The Mi 3 is a all around performer, be it for multitasking or for camera, it just give you what you need. The overall design for me is quite edgy but there is not much problem once you have a jelly case on it. The winning factor for me here is that its quite light at 145 grams and its pretty to carry it inside your pocket. The Mi 3 definitely is a all around performer at P10,990 on its Lazada Sale in the Philippines.

Rate

Number of participants 3 Experience +36 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-07-25 10:58:57
Favorites22 RateRate

News Reporter

Subrata Maity | from Redmi 3S

Amazing And Awasome Mi 3 Smartphone Review.
Thanks For Sharing With Us.
2019-07-25 11:01:15

Grand Master Bunny

1860bodo | from Redmi Note 5

thanks for sharing
2019-07-25 11:46:42

Device team

$huvo | from Redmi 4

The camera quality is dope
2019-07-25 12:00:45
Invalid floor, the posts have been deleted #4

App Review Team

swanux | from Mi MIX 3

Thanks for sharing
2019-07-25 13:11:49

Grand Master Bunny

Seragios | from Redmi 5

Thanks for sharing
2019-07-25 13:35:20

ph.eliezer | from Mi 9 SE

Nice review
2019-07-25 17:02:07
@ph.eliezer

Master Bunny

I'm Azman | from Mi MIX 2S

thanks for sharing
2019-07-25 17:43:04

Pro Bunny

Nu1Udara | from app

I still got my mi4
2019-07-25 20:51:26
Legendary! (With the tune of Mobile Legends! LOL)
2019-07-25 21:10:19