In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 7

[Discussion] The reason why front cam gives DARK video input in FB Messenger video call

2019-07-17 14:55:49
904 10
This topic is to address the one of the most problem of Redmi Note 7 users:

Many were complaining about the DARK and BLURRY video input of their Redmi Note 7's front camera everytime they make a video call using FB Messenger app, or even in some other apps that also have a video call feature. But I've also seen a complain like this:

On this post above, the phone of the complainant is Redmi Note 6 Pro. It only means this problem doesn't only happen to Redmi Note 7 front cam alone.

I will try to write this post as best as I can to help the readers to understand it easily even without uploading realtime screen recorded video samples while doing this experiment.

By this experiment, we will find the reason why front camera of some smartphones like Redmi Note 7 doesn't give us a high quality video input while using video call feature in some online video messaging apps. Which of the two should be blamed? The Redmi Note 7's camera? Or the FB Messenger app? Let us know.

REMINDER: I have strong internet connection when I'm doing this experiment so I'm very sure that the current status of my internet connection is not a factor here to affect the phone's video input quality.

1.) Let us look first how FB Messenger's video call works with Redmi Note 7's front camera even having a strong internet connection.

I've done this indoors with a 15-watt CFL bulb as a source of light. Then facing the light source, I stood away from it for about 7 feet in distance and having a well-lit background.

As we can see on the sample screenshot above, the video quality looks very washed or blurry and it's also dark compare on what we see when we are using the default camera app, wherein the details look sharper and brighter. Just like the sample screenshot below:

Yes! We all know that Redmi Note 7 has a 13-megapixel front facing camera with f/1.8 aperture which can make photos look brighter even in low light conditions. So we have that kind of expectation that it must also provide a high quality video input in online video messaging apps like FB Messenger.

I've also read in some posts and comments that unlike in other smartphones which has also high resolution front camera sensor, the video input in FB Messenger's video call is excellent. So I tried it also to Redmi Note 7's near competitor Realme 3 which has also a 13-megapixel front camera, but has only f/2.0 aperture versus f/1.8 of Redmi Note 7. And it gave me a very excellent video quality input.

On this part, it is not my intention to discredit the Redmi Note 7 as a whole. I'm just comparing here the performance of two different smartphones when using FB Messenger's video call to see the real difference and to find the reasons why.

Now let's proceed on the next experiment. I've just discovered by the help of Open Camera app the different behaviors of the front camera by switching it to different camera resolutions available from its app settings. Until I tried the 352 x 288 display resolution with 11:9 aspect ratio which only uses 0.10 megapixel of its camera resolution.

TAKE NOTE : We cannot find these different kinds of resolution option from the stock camera app so I used Open Camera app to do this experiment.

And the front camera output became like this.

Now, let's take a closer look of this screenshot and the screenshot taken earlier from FB Messenger's video call session.

Now, we can see here that the video quality of the two looks very same. And this is the only camera resolution among the other options from the settings that can bring the very same quality as same as what's in the FB Messenger video call.

So by this, I think it will not be difficult for me now to explain to you why Redmi Note 7 gives us a poor video quality input while making a video call in messaging apps.

The conclusion of this experiment is regardless of the data connection strength while making a video call. The weak internet connection just make your video pixelated to its receiver; making it more blurry. But it doesn't affect the brightness of your video.

I conclude this by myself that the fault doesn't come from the FB Messenger app. Because while this problem is not just isolated to SOME Redmi/Xiaomi phones, FB Messenger's video call feature works perfectly fine in other phone brands like Realme 3. But I think the fault came from the current ROM or operation system of Redmi Note 7 which gives the FB Messenger a VERY LIMITED amount of camera resolution as a video input to its video call feature. Even though the Redmi Note 7 has a 13 megapixel front cam, the developers just give the video messaging apps a small allocation which is only 0.13 Megapixel resolution (which is only 1% of 13), with a display resolution of 512 x 288 (to be exact) to match the 16:9 aspect. It cannot even help us on data saving because it runs with the same bitrate just like the other smartphones that gives high quality video input like Realme 3 so even I don't know if it is just a bug or it is just a problem that the developers doesn't give a notice.

Unfortunately, there's no any alternative solution with this problem maybe unless if you will apply a custom ROM with your device. But I recommend you to leave this problem to the developers if you don't want to put your phone at risk.

I hope it answered all your questions in mind regarding this issue. Please help me to address this problem to the Xiaomi developers to solve this issue as soon as they can.
2019-07-17 14:55:49
Favorites3 RateRate

Rookie Bunny

Aka1.6221145859 | from Redmi Note 7

Thank you sir! This explain everything about the blurry and dark video during VC.  I hope Xiaomi developers will solve this issue soon. RN7 user here.
2019-07-17 19:08:22

Device team

3dr14n | from app

Open camera is also a third-party app just like FB, it doesn't even have the vast number of developers that backs it up just like FB. If the video resolutions were being limited by MIUI through firmware then how would you explain the vast availability of video resolutions exposed for the front cam as shown by Open camera?
You can search the net and you'll know that this messenger issue is not isolated to Xiaomi devices.
2019-07-17 21:45:42

Wizard Bunny

Crazey | from MI 8

There is no problem with Mi8
2019-07-17 22:23:41

Semi Pro Bunny

RODMINote7 Author | from Redmi Note 7

3dr14n
Open camera is also a third-party app just like FB, it doesn't even have the vast number of developers that backs it up just like FB. If the video resolutions were being limited by MIUI through firmware then how would you explain the vast availability of video resolutions exposed for the front cam as shown by Open camera?
You can search the net and you'll know that this messenger issue is not isolated to Xiaomi devices.

Yes you're right. This is not an isolated case to Xiaomi devices. And I'm sorry if I forgot to mention that on my post.
And I've just realized that I mistakenly pointed the camera firmware itself. (I will edit this post to prevent misinformation.) But I'm not losing the point to explain it to others that the messenger can only use a very limited type of video resolution if we can use it in making video calls through PHONES LIKE Redmi Note 7 and other phone brands having the same issue, while it is not an issue in other phone brands.
So how will you also explain your comment from someone's post where you are telling that third party apps (like FB Messenger) have their own set of algorithms for their own camera app if it just work perfectly fine in other phones like Realme 3 while it also having a very poor video call quality in some other phones like Redmi Note 7?
2019-07-17 22:40:24

Device team

3dr14n | from app

RODMINote7
Yes you're right. This is not an isolated case to Xiaomi devices. And I'm sorry if I forgot to mention that on my post.
And I've just realized that I mistakenly pointed the camera firmware itself. (I will edit this post to prevent misinformation.) But I'm not losing the point to explain it to others that the messenger can only use a very limited type of video resolution if we can use it in making video calls through PHONES LIKE Redmi Note 7 and other phone brands having the same issue, while it is not an issue in other phone brands.
So how will you also explain your comment from someone's post where you are telling that third party apps (like FB Messenger) have their own set of algorithms for their own camera app if it just work perfectly fine in other phones like Realme 3 while it also having a very poor video call quality in some other phones like Redmi Note 7?

It means that if there is an issue with a third party app, it is best to report the issue through their own app developers. For example: every report shows specific logs about their own app, if these logs were reported directly to the app devs, they could easily fix the issue because it's their own app.
More reports means better priority with the development.
Also tip for your future tests:
If you wanted to prove that network speed is not an issue, make sure that you do a speed test before testing, upload and download speed were equally important on video calls. Never assume if data can be gotten easily.
You've made a great review of this matter. If I have a RN7, I'll be happy to help but I only have Poco, Mi5 and Redmi 5+ so I won't be able to replicate your procedure.
2019-07-18 06:26:58

Device team

3dr14n | from app

RODMINote7

Pardon for the late reply. I just gotten off from work.
2019-07-18 06:27:43

Semi Pro Bunny

RODMINote7 Author | from Redmi Note 7

3dr14n
It means that if there is an issue with a third party app, it is best to report the issue through their own app developers. For example: every report shows specific logs about their own app, if these logs were reported directly to the app devs, they could easily fix the issue because it's their own app.
More reports means better priority with the development.
Also tip for your future tests:

Now I understand your point. Thank you for giving us another knowledge regarding this issue.
2019-07-18 06:32:53
This information will be very helpful to all of Redmi Note 7 user.

Hopefully MI will take action on this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you!
2019-07-20 07:26:21

Rookie Bunny

jhengnazal | from Redmi Note 7

I hope the developer of xaiomi ficthis probem.before they bing new color phone redmi note 7 .like pearl White.fix first the problem
2019-07-24 05:47:04

Rookie Bunny

Lynflowerstar | from Redmi Note 7

Same here. Malabo din camera ko pag naka video call pahirapan
2019-07-24 08:28:58