In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 5/Pro

[ROM] this miui version can't be installed on this device

2019-06-12 21:05:08
218 5

My Redmi Note 5 had this problem after latest MIUI update last week. It was bought on Aliexpress and had global rom on a chinese phone with locked bootloader. It gave some annoying warnings for a while, but these went away a few months ago, and I forgot about it. Then it stopped working completely.

I have managed to get it working after some investigation, and present the results in case people come here before trying all sorts of random stuff. I needed to replace the global ROM with a Chinese version. After that you can unlock the Bootloader & reflash if you like.

1. Unlocking the bootloader looks easy enough, but you need to register your mi account with the phone before the problem occurs. If you think your device might have the problem get it all ready, even if you don't want to unlock (just in case.

https://c.mi.com/thread-185...

2. It is possible to flash a recovery rom with miflashpro without unlocking, but the replacement ROM must be at least as new as the old one. As you will most likely have the latest global ROM and the equivalent Chinese ROM is considered to be older it doesn't work. Maybe it works if you wait until a new Chinese ROM comes out. I didn't wait, so I can't promise it works.

https://xiaomifirmware.com/...

3. Take the back off and use Testpoints mode. The vendor will offer to let you use their account with EDL permission via teamview, but I didn't like that option. However the QFIL program with QPST doesn't require special permissions. THIS WORKS.

https://forum.xda-developer...

Of course the end result is that you will end up with a Chinese language phone. I cleared data and reflashed with a standard Chinese recovery ROM just in case, and then I had to set up WIFI and log in with the same xiaomi account to get to the next step where I could change base language to English. I read Chinese well enough, but you might be able to find someone to help you.

I have chosen to keep the Chinese ROM as I need to keep the BL locked. But I have bound it so that I can unlock when I need to in the future.

Taking the back off is easy enough, but ended up with a small amount of cosmetic damage, and probably it is slightly less waterproof.

I hope this is helpful.

I like the phone. It is a good compromise between cost and performance. I am happy to have it working again.

2019-06-12 21:05:08
Favorites2 RateRate

Device team

royhard | from Redmi Note 5

useful and easy to understand thread so far.
2019-06-12 22:21:00
Hi,

I was also using a Redmi Note 5 AI (Chinese version bought on AliExpress) with Global ROM; and after the recent OTA update of Android Pie, my phone is bricked and shows up the recovery screen with error message "This version of MIUI can't be installed on this device". I am not sure, if my phone boot loader is locked; never checked it.

I am in a bad state, where i did not completely backup my phone since 1 month before i ran the OTA update on Redmi Note 5; and need the data very badly.

Question -
Is there any way i can recover the data from the device current state?

On my Redmi Note 5, does flashing a recovery Chinese ROM that might be released in the next few weeks (higher than the current global version that bricked the phone) clear the device memory ?

Thanks in advance.
2019-06-13 10:44:52
Thank you!
Hi OP,

Can you please shoot a video of the steps you have followed to change the language from "chinese" to "english".

Most of us here dont understand chinese language. it would be really helpful for most of the forum members who have this problem. Thank you
2019-06-14 14:00:57
Thank you!

Rookie Bunny

moshel | from mobile

You can try https://c.mi.com/thread-2220087-1-1.html
2019-06-15 07:32:33

Rookie Bunny

moshel | from mobile

Btw, loading the previous rom (oreo) works well through recovery at least using the method i used.
2019-06-15 07:34:16