In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 5/Pro

Pro Bunny

Marcos1809 Author | from Redmi Note 5

Ha421
Halas, I dit copy sdcard to pc,formatted it then copied/moved files back to sdcard: writing back took ages , but It did it.

Interesting, I'm glad it worked for you! If you run into any other issue (hopefully not), please share.
2019-06-25 12:53:02

Advanced Bunny

Ha421 | from Redmi Note 5

thx for ur interest,this thread greatly helped finding a way,congrats!!!
2019-06-25 14:40:11

Device team

Sarge7 | from Redmi Note 5

Marcos1809
Workaround for the Camera slowness: in the SD card you have your /DCIM/Camera directory (folder). Rename that Camera folder to something else (for example, Camera_old). The next time you start Camera a new folder will be created and the app will be as snappy as before, switching between photo and video modes without a hassle. I took more photos than what I had before and Camera still went fast, even after stopping it, so the number of files per directory can be discarded as a problem. It's not a solution, though: when deleting those photos and videos it was still quite slow. I'm trying other ideas based on some system apps' permissions and reading dev documentation.

Thanks for all the support Marcos.
   I renamed as suggested .
  I have a new phone and SD card and some time after renaming a few photos which were on old sd were restored to camera_old .
  A surprise as I have all sync services disabled .
2019-06-26 02:23:39

Pro Bunny

Sarge7
Thanks for all the support Marcos.
   I renamed as suggested .
  I have a new phone and SD card and some time after renaming a few photos which were on old sd were restored to camera_old .

I read somewhere that your previous one was stolen :-( I'm focused on other topics and I left the phone thing aside, however I dug deeper from time to time: not all apps are presented with the SD card. With the app "OpenVPN for Android" (not the official one, but a lighter one) I tested it since it contains a simpler browser: no SD card in the second space. The default Android browser "Files" doesn't see the SD card in the second space. Only the MIUI apps see the card in the second space. In the first space the local backup app doesn't see the SD card. Other apps have random issues. Whether it's on Android or on MIUI, there are issues in the storage API presented to the apps. It shouldn't be a kernel problem, since the SD card can actually be mounted and used by some apps. This weekend I'll try to flash  again the update, see the effects and consequently report a bug.
2019-06-26 06:19:25
6209761981 replied at 2019-06-25 10:10:37
My issue that the camera app crashes when the videos are stored in the SD card.

photos have no issue when stored in the SD card only the videos and then the camera app crashes

renaming did not help after all, trying to format now
2019-07-06 08:28:21
6209761981 replied at 2019-07-06 15:28:21
renaming did not help after all, trying to format now

format did not help either
2019-07-06 09:07:59

Advanced Bunny

format did not help either

wich format did u choose ? moving from exfat to fat32 did it great.
2019-07-06 13:06:29

Pro Bunny

Ha421
wich format did u choose ? moving from exfat to fat32 did it great.

Beware that FAT32 is ancient, it will negatively affect the max file size and the directory path and the file name length will be affected as well. I can't recommend it at all, it has its own issues and personally I don't want any kind of deja vu LOL
2019-07-07 02:27:39
Marcos1809 replied at 2019-07-07 09:27:39
Beware that FAT32 is ancient, it will negatively affect the max file size and the directory path and the file name length will be affected as well. I can't recommend it at all, it has its own issues and personally I don't want any kind of deja vu LOL

I have just erased the USB from phone, no format option existed.

Perhaps you mean to format it via PC right?

Please advice
2019-07-07 03:04:35

Advanced Bunny

Marcos1809

u are definifinitively right lol,but exfat is a msft  proprieatary format , and xiaomi might have to deal with this lol
2019-07-08 01:26:36