In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 5/Pro

1592905093 replied at 2019-06-17 18:35:14
Hi @killerengel,

First of all a big thank you for all the information, with the version of MIUI you mentioned above i was able to unbrick my Redmi Note 5 AI china version phone (installed with a global ROM by the Ali Express seller).

Hi, I have a bricked redmi Note 5 with the bootloader locked so I can't flash roms to it.
How did you unlock the Bootloader FASTBOOT while it is bricked? what tool and technique did you use?
Thanks in advance.
2019-06-23 07:00:53
Moby17 replied at 2019-06-23 07:00:53
Hi, I have a bricked redmi Note 5 with the bootloader locked so I can't flash roms to it.
How did you unlock the Bootloader FASTBOOT while it is bricked? what tool and technique did you use?
Thanks in advance.

Hi @Moby17,

i was not able to unlock my boot loader initially, since my Mi account was not linked to my mobile device (in Settings - System and Device - Developer Options - Mi unlock status).

I had to go thru the Qualcomm EDL mode (Emergency Download), for which you can refer to the first post by @killerengel.

Step 1 - Open the back cover of the phone, disconnect the battery and then short the pins underneath the fingerprint sensor
Step 2 - Flash the Lower version ROM (device does not hard brick due to roll back in this case, and no authorization is required; as mentioned by killerengel).

Then my Redmi Note 5 AI device started working with a previous version of MI UI installed (9.x.x... i don't remember exactly). Later after adding my MI account to the device (in Settings - System and Device - Developer Options - Mi unlock status), i submitted an unlock request using Mi flash unlock tool; then waited for 167 hours to unlock my boot loader.

Just yesterday, after unlocking the RN5 boot loader, i installed this latest MIUI version - RedmiNote5_Global_V10.3.1.0.OEIMIXM (Recovery/ Full ROM)
(NOT PIE version it is still OREO, since lot of people reported some instability/ loss of features and battery drain issues. I am ok to wait and install after a month or so when everything is stable).

Let me know, if you require any additional information. Good luck @Moby17 !
2019-06-24 15:59:45
Thank you!

Master Bunny

Murshad | from app

New Stable Update Required
2019-06-24 17:04:05
floater3 replied at 2019-06-22 06:54:04
May I know what kind of loop were you getting? were you stuck in the manufacturer screen (Xiaomi logo)?
I ask because I'm facing the same problem, and I've tried all of those steps (except EDL mode because my bootloader is unlocked) and it always bricks with the most recent update! only works with the Oreo version of MIUI 10.3.1

Sorry brother, since you have the device with unlocked boot loader, you should be able to install the latest Pie version without any issue.

You can try and do a factory reset; then try installing the latest Pie version - V10.3.1.0.PEIMIXM (MIUI10) thru recovery (using 'Mi Flash Pro' tool after downloading the same in your local computer machine).SW SOURCE - https://en.miui.com/download-342.html#508.

I am not sure if you have received the device with an unlocked boot loader; if you have not unlocked the phone boot loader your self, try unlocking the device using Mi Flash unlock tool (to verify if the device is genuinely unlocked by Xiaomi), before installing the global Pie version update.

Good luck!

2019-06-26 16:07:28
Thank you!

Advanced Bunny

floater3 | from Redmi Note 5

Irisaindi
Sorry brother, since you have the device with unlocked boot loader, you should be able to install the latest Pie version without any issue.

You can try and do a factory reset; then try installing the latest Pie version - V10.3.1.0.PEIMIXM (MIUI10) thru recovery (using 'Mi Flash Pro' tool after downloading the same in your local computer machine).SW SOURCE - https://en.miui.com/download-342.html#508.

Hello!
I bought a new device with locked bootloader. But I unlocked it and even with it unlocked I can flash the latest ROM but any Pie MIUI ROM is working. It always leads in bootloop (loops in the Mi loading screen)...
I tried MiFlash and all those tools. Also tried flashing through TWRP by wiping everything, and the same happens everytime.

There are not too much people with the same problem but I found a user in the forum that is facing the exact same problem! We've tried everything; it's only working with Oreo
2019-06-27 07:14:54

Device team

Sarge7 | from Redmi Note 5

floater3
Hello!
I bought a new device with locked bootloader. But I unlocked it and even with it unlocked I can flash the latest ROM but any Pie MIUI ROM is working. It always leads in bootloop (loops in the Mi loading screen)...
I tried MiFlash and all those tools. Also tried flashing through TWRP by wiping everything, and the same happens everytime.

I've followed your thread and posts and keep looking out for articles and youtubers vids explaining issue but so far have drawn a blank.
  Frustrating when you've clean flashed and done everything possible that I can think of.
  If I find any info explaining the corruption preventing booting to Pie I'll let you know

2019-06-27 08:34:40
floater3 replied at 2019-06-27 07:14:54
Hello!

Hello @floater3,

I think you might have tried out Flashing the Pie verion ROM using both 'Fastboot' and 'Recovery' menthods (leaving the boot loader still unlocked).

The only other way, i can think of at this moment is flasing in 'EDL' mode, after disconnecting the battery and shorting the pins beneath the fingerpint sensor.
Also, I personally feel the Pie update doesn't bring in vast feature(s)/ security updates. And some users are already complaining about the below issues in Pie version-

• No parallel wifi and hotspot usage (was possible in Oreo 10.3.1 version)
  • App's RAM/ memory usage and
  • Battery drain issue with third party app's (of course this sometimes depends on the app's compatibility with the OS)

I am personally running the Oreo 10.3.1 version to stay up to date with the security patches (which also fixed the annoying screen lock issue, when mobile is still in use). My suggestion is - wait for a new version of Global Stable ROM from Xiaomi.

Good luck, and let us know if you are trying out the EDL approach.
2019-06-27 10:26:57
Thank you!

Advanced Bunny

floater3 | from Redmi Note 5

Irisaindi
Hello @floater3,

I think you might have tried out Flashing the Pie verion ROM using both 'Fastboot' and 'Recovery' menthods (leaving the boot loader still unlocked).

but isn't it is the same thing? I say that because people use edl method when the bootloader is locked. As I have it unlocked, I think it will not make any difference am I right?
2019-06-29 05:56:18

Device team

Sarge7 | from Redmi Note 5

floater3
but isn't it is the same thing? I say that because people use edl method when the bootloader is locked. As I have it unlocked, I think it will not make any difference am I right?

It's only a matter of opinion .
  Just like you I'm using logical thinking and think it will make no difference .
  I'm concerned that whatever corruption you have preventing Oreo to Pie boot will carry forward .
Hopefully we shall soon see if update overides corruption .
2019-06-30 06:48:45
floater3 replied at 2019-06-29 05:56:18

Hi @floater3
I partially agree with you. But just thinking, it would be patching of a software directly on hardware (i.e. without xiaomi custom kernel software interference). Not sure, if this works; since it would do no harm with your bootloader unlocked and when your device data is backed up.

For more info on Bootloader, Kernel & ROM, you can refer to this post.

good luck!
2019-07-02 09:39:50
Thank you!