In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 5/Pro

Hi @killerengel,

First of all a big thank you for all the information, with the version of MIUI you mentioned above i was able to unbrick my Redmi Note 5 AI china version phone (installed with a global ROM by the Ali Express seller).

And were you able to unlock your Xiaomi RN5 bootloader and install the new MIUI 10 Global update (not chinese/ india/ russia) with Android Pie i.e. V10.3.1.0.PEIMIXM (MIUI10) from here - http://en.miui.com/download-342.html#508

Also, if may i ask you; what version of Redmi Note 5 do you have.
Is it Redmi Note 5 AI china version or global version or a Redmi Note 5 Pro Indian version ?

Thank you!
2019-06-17 13:35:14
Thank you!

Rookie Bunny

killerengel Author |

I didn't like the China version at all, so I've installed whyred_global_images_V10.3.1.0.PEIMIXM_20190522.0000.00_9.0_global with success :)
2019-06-17 15:45:52
killerengel replied at 2019-06-17 15:45:52
I didn't like the China version at all, so I've installed whyred_global_images_V10.3.1.0.PEIMIXM_20190522.0000.00_9.0_global with success :)

Hi @killerengel,

Thanks again for the reply.

• May i know, If your Redmi Note 5 AI hardware is a - china version or global version or a Redmi Note 5 Pro Indian version ? (Just checking the compatibility level of the V10.3.1.0.PEIMIXM Software for my RN5 AI China version.)
  • Also did you leave your boot loader unlocked?

From the previous discussions, what i understood was - if you lock your boot loader during flashing V10.3.1.0.PEIMIXM Pie version i.e. by using 'Clean All and Lock' rather than 'Clean All' option, then the RN5 might brick again.

Thanks in advance for sharing your notes and observations.

2019-06-17 16:06:59
Thank you!

Rookie Bunny

killerengel Author |

1592905093 replied at 2019-06-18 01:36:59
Hi @killerengel,

Thanks again for the reply.

1. I really don't know how to check the hardware, when I bought the box was in chinese, so I think it is chinese. Anyway, I could install both versions without problem, but Whatsapp is blocked, I think, in China version.

2. Yeah, I left it unlocked, in case it bricks again I can flash easily, so I've selected the "clean all" option.

My opinion: If I were you, I would try the lasted version of the ROM you are used to, and I wouldn't lock it again (have to wait 7, 30 days to unlock again is unacceptable).
The version that bricked my phone, PEIMIXM, is the same I am using now, that a flashed.

Good luck!
2019-06-18 04:17:48
killerengel replied at 2019-06-18 04:17:48
1. I really don't know how to check the hardware, when I bought the box was in chinese, so I think it is chinese. Anyway, I could install both versions without problem, but Whatsapp is blocked, I think, in China version.

2. Yeah, I left it unlocked, in case it bricks again I can flash easily, so I've selected the "clean all" option.

Thanks for the notes @Killerengel.

I am still waiting to unlock my RN5 AI boot loader (130 hours to go). Will later upgrade to latest global MIUI with Pie update - V10.3.1.0.PEIMIXM

I agree with you to keep the boot loader unlocked (in case of repeated future SW brick issues... BLESSINGS OF XIAOMI, who is punishing their customers/ users rather than limiting the software support for them). I will keep sharing my observations, so that others can benefit from the same.

Thanks again and have a nice day!

2019-06-18 10:24:26
Thank you!
If your device is China Variant and you flash global ROM with locked BL, It will brick
2019-06-18 11:02:17
Muz_paray replied at 2019-06-18 11:02:17
If your device is China Variant and you flash global ROM with locked BL, It will brick

Hi @Muz_paray,

Thanks for the info.

Please don't get me wrong, what is Xiaomi achieving by bricking and locking a working device and asking its customer go through unwanted trouble.
Xiaomi is well aware that during late 2016, 2017 & up till 2018 end, sellers (Aliexpress and everywhere else) sold the chinese version phones to global customers by installing global ROM (with limited warranty). And a lot of people brought these devices (even when there is zero service presence in their country) trusting that everything will be alright. When customers trust in a company, they believe and desire that official updates give them full control and warn them about the future issues or at least provide standard after math rollback control.

I understand most of us are little careless and unaware when we brought a different hardware version, but who knows what is gonna happen in future. Not until 2018 mid, there was any warning about conflicting ROM installation on devices and I hold Xiaomi for all the unwanted troubles all the global customers are going through.
I request Xiaomi to fix this issue in their next global update or at least do not allow customers to install the conflicting ROM, not until they unlock (device and boot loader) and mess with the warranty and device (which the customers will be well aware of).
2019-06-19 11:12:00
Thank you!
1592905093 replied at 2019-06-19 20:42:00
Hi @Muz_paray,

Thanks for the info.

Hello,

The BL unlocking wait time was introduced to cater the issue so that unofficial seller can't flash ROM.

I have no idea what happens behind the scenes.

2019-06-19 11:57:34
Muz_paray replied at 2019-06-19 11:57:34
Hello,

The BL unlocking wait time was introduced to cater the issue so that unofficial seller can't flash ROM.

Hi @Muz_paray,

i agree with you regarding the boot loader unlocking waiting time; and i am with Xiaomi on how they are handling this, through which they can restrict the unlock requests from users, who are not the actual end users.

But the stable OTA update issues need to be addressed by Xiaomi, the company cannot just push these official/ standard stable release with a major issue that's gonna effect majority user group. very soon, this will hurt their brand image and sales in the general community.
2019-06-19 13:15:45
Thank you!

Advanced Bunny

floater3 | from Redmi Note 5

May I know what kind of loop were you getting? were you stuck in the manufacturer screen (Xiaomi logo)?
I ask because I'm facing the same problem, and I've tried all of those steps (except EDL mode because my bootloader is unlocked) and it always bricks with the most recent update! only works with the Oreo version of MIUI 10.3.1
2019-06-22 06:54:04