In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 8/SE/EE/Lite/Pro

[Discussion] GCam vs Xiaomi Cam apps (Mi 8)

2019-05-25 08:57:39
6103 54

Photography Team

tharukan | from MI 8

btkli
GCam does take better shots, but it does have a few problems on the Mi 8:
- Can't use the telephoto lens
- Portrait mode can't do portraits of objects (just people)

Really correct. I also noticed that. GCam is better for night photography.
2019-06-22 08:15:22
tharukan replied at 2019-06-22 14:15:22
Really correct. I also noticed that. GCam is better for night photography.

While the stock app really has become better and now can give really good results especially in good lightning conditions GCam overall gives much more consistent quality (without sometimes suddenly / unexpectedly bad images as it still is with the stock app ) - so I use GCam for most scenarios and especially for all those quick point-and-shoot situations.

Just for landscapes in bright sunlight I most often take an image with both, stock and GCam and have a look afterwards which one is better.
And for really still night scenes the Pro mode of the stock app is doing very well if you have a tripod or similar stand.
2019-06-23 05:36:04

Photography Team

tharukan | from MI 8

JoVo008
While the stock app really has become better and now can give really good results especially in good lightning conditions GCam overall gives much more consistent quality (without sometimes suddenly / unexpectedly bad images as it still is with the stock app ) - so I use GCam for most scenarios and especially for all those quick point-and-shoot situations.

Just for landscapes in bright sunlight I most often take an image with both, stock and GCam and have a look afterwards which one is better.

I didn't really use the Pro mode of the stock camera. I would prefer the stock cam in day time photos with good lighting conditions. But for night I prefer GCam, but like shot on stock cam and see the difference for the better one. Gcam os using more battery power. So it's up to the user.
2019-06-23 09:59:44

Pro Bunny

btkli Author | from MI 8

I also use both cam apps (and thanks to JoVo008 - I also am playing with Open Cam for HDR shots).  they all have their uses I guess.  but ya night shots, without a doubt, goes to GCam.  Shooting in portraits, I definitely prefer Stock, as GCam is not very accurate with separating the subject with the background.  Anyways all these make photography with the Mi 8 very fun and exciting.  it's nice to have all these options
2019-06-23 10:04:27