In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 8/SE/EE/Lite/Pro

[Discussion] GCam vs Xiaomi Cam apps (Mi 8)

2019-05-25 08:57:39
6037 54

Pro Bunny

JoVo008 | from MI 8

You have the Mi 8 non lite, non SE?
enabling the aux camera as you did is all you need for using the tele lens. Maybe the app needs a restart after changing this seeing (as it does when you change libs and/or camera setting.
The app will do a restart itself but I prefer to force stop it and newly start it as otherwise at least the EXIF data can be wrong (e.g. switching from Pixel III to Nexus 6P it still shows Pixel III although it seems to use the Nexus setting).

Unfortunately the usage of the zoom lens is not shown, it switches between normal/tele - front/selfie - zoom - front - tele and so on. You have to look yourself at the image area to see which lens is currently active.
2019-06-01 05:22:38

Pro Bunny

JoVo008 | from MI 8

Here are screenies from my actual settings.
2019-06-01 07:25:46

Pro Bunny

btkli Author | from MI 8

JoVo008

I noticed u use the Nexus 6P setting for your front camera and Not the back? yes my phone is the Mi 8 (non SE/Pro/Lite) version.  I tired clearing all the data from the app to start again too.  used your settings, but I still see the zoom feature and no way to select the camera
2019-06-01 07:45:43

Pro Bunny

btkli Author | from MI 8

JoVo008

ahh.. NVM, I see how it works now. I see what you mean with how it switches between the back (wide), front, back (tele), front, back (wide)... mode now... thanks!!!
2019-06-01 08:02:58

Pro Bunny

JoVo008 | from MI 8

btkli
I noticed u use the Nexus 6P setting for your front camera and Not the back? yes my phone is the Mi 8 (non SE/Pro/Lite) version.  I tired clearing all the data from the app to start again too.  used your settings, but I still see the zoom feature and no way to select the camera

Sorry I set this wrong while changing with the last test - actually it's vice versa: I use Nexus6P for BACK and the Pixel III for FRONT.
2019-06-01 13:37:21
btkli replied at 2019-05-30 19:20:11
if you want to shoot real manual mode, get an SLR camera, not the fake manual mode in a cell phone app.  and I can tell you that even my professional SLR gear can't capture the handheld night photos that the GCam can do.  you want colours completely natural, that's good for you, but 99% of the published and printed materials in magazines, posters, etc are "enhanced".... so I don't think most people would mind a little bit of adjusted saturation

Well, I still shoot better photos by pro mode than by gcam, especially at night. But the pro mode is for those you know how to use.
2019-06-20 03:45:30

Pro Bunny

JoVo008 | from MI 8

VinydaSilveira
Well, I still shoot better photos by pro mode than by gcam, especially at night. But the pro mode is for those you know how to use.

I think you mix things up.
Pro mode is good for still scenes at night together with a tripod, yes.

But those are very few scenarios where that applies.
people want a solution for better pictures at low light conditions with moving scenes and shot from the hand.
There GCam is welcome. And it does produce better images at good lighting with portrait shots in nearly 100% than the stock app.

Besides the'Pro' mode isn't anything Pro, the earlier 'manual' was a better name - and even at that it is quite lacking: why can't you set ISO values smaller than 100 and/or shutter times less than 1/1000s? this makes this quite unusable in bright sunlight..
why are you limited to such large steps when setting ISO and shutter time?
where's RAW?

P.S. In open camera you can freely set those values.
2019-06-20 06:35:43

Pro Bunny

btkli Author | from MI 8

VinydaSilveira

I don't think you truly understand the technology behind Nightsight, and the difference between that and long exposure shots...  I suggest you read this article for a better understanding

https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/11/night-sight-seeing-in-dark-on-pixel.html?m=1
2019-06-20 20:57:30
Only gcam. Stock camera tragic
2019-06-21 05:13:34
btkli replied at 2019-06-21 02:57:30
I don't think you truly understand the technology behind Nightsight, and the difference between that and long exposure shots...  I suggest you read this article for a better understanding

https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/11/night-sight-seeing-in-dark-on-pixel.html?m=1

That's a nice article.
2019-06-22 07:06:36