In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 8/SE/EE/Lite/Pro

[Discussion] GCam vs Xiaomi Cam apps (Mi 8)

2019-05-25 08:57:39
6016 54

Pro Bunny

btkli Author | from MI 8

- wrong. Telephoto lens has been working since BSG V2B release of gcam. Do your research. ;)
- technically not an issue, that's just how googles portrait mode was intended. For Portraits / faces.- depends on the version, some have a switch to disable the individual folders. Like this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... qeSsyFbTsT18DP/view

thanks for the information.  but obviously I was basing my testing on the specific GCam version I tested, so it's not that I was wrong.  You just use a different version of GCam.  anyways when I have a chance I will test the BSG version
2019-05-29 07:16:38

Pro Bunny

JoVo008 | from MI 8

And be sure to test the BSG Version V2e - this is IMO the overall best version, better than the 6.2.021 and 6.2.030 ones.

As said i prefer the version with modded libs and there the XLib V2 XS - gives a more natural image, less oversaturated colors.

And for better sharpness you should select Nexus6p for back Camera and not Pixel 3.

Oh, and p.s. do not use AI with the stock app as this mostly degrades image quality.
2019-05-29 11:09:06

Rookie Bunny

VinydaSilveira | from mobile

Stock camera has manual/pro mode, so I do not give a fack about gcam and its excessive saturation, ISO and HDR makeup.
2019-05-30 08:06:09
VinydaSilveira replied at 2019-05-30 14:06:09
Stock camera has manual/pro mode, so I do not give a fack about gcam and its excessive saturation, ISO and HDR makeup.

You have absolutely no clue...
(Sorry)
2019-05-30 09:45:16

Pro Bunny

btkli Author | from MI 8

VinydaSilveira

if you want to shoot real manual mode, get an SLR camera, not the fake manual mode in a cell phone app.  and I can tell you that even my professional SLR gear can't capture the handheld night photos that the GCam can do.  you want colours completely natural, that's good for you, but 99% of the published and printed materials in magazines, posters, etc are "enhanced".... so I don't think most people would mind a little bit of adjusted saturation
2019-05-30 09:50:11

Pro Bunny

btkli Author | from MI 8

JoVo008
And be sure to test the BSG Version V2e - this is IMO the overall best version, better than the 6.2.021 and 6.2.030 ones.

As said i prefer the version with modded libs and there the XLib V2 XS - gives a more natural image, less oversaturated colors.

hey JoVo008, I was looking at all the BSG versions, but not sure which exactly you referring to.  therea re so many different version. numbers and letters.  I also see a V2e+.  is that what you are referring to?  all from the XDA for Mi 8/mix 3/F1 etc..
2019-05-30 22:23:18

Advanced Bunny

ismuta_ | from MI 8

Gcam is really good.
2019-05-31 00:16:20
btkli replied at 2019-05-31 04:23:18
hey JoVo008, I was looking at all the BSG versions, but not sure which exactly you referring to.  therea re so many different version. numbers and letters.  I also see a V2e+.  is that what you are referring to?  all from the XDA for Mi 8/mix 3/F1 etc..

Yes, I meant the V2e+ from this thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com ... loped-mi-8-t3843130

And there specifically the port with the additional modded libs, direct link:
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397901243
This port has a lot more to configure than the newer ones (which isn't only an advantage, but more a mixed bag). I prefer the Nexus 6P setting for the back cam as it's a bit sharper than the Pixel III setting (but also with a little bit more noise, so your mileages may vary).
And I prefer the XLib V2XS libs over the Google ones as they're giving a little bit more natural / not so pumped-up colors - this is also the reason why I don't like AI with the stock app which does create a somewhat "painted" look and also still sometimes looses details.
As an advantage over the newer port with this V2e+ GCam version you can also use the tele lens.

But as I last tested this, the differences have become small nowadays. Where earlier GCam beat the stock app in about every situation it's a really close race now, sometimes even with the stock app as the winner - still GCam gives more consistent results, so if you there's no time to take several photos of the same scene with both I use Cam.

While the stock app (since end 2018 and all 2019 ROMs) is mostly great with panoramas / landscapes, GCam still mostly is quite a bit better for nearer objects and of course everything with the front cam.
2019-05-31 14:00:56

Pro Bunny

btkli Author | from MI 8

JoVo008
https://forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/themes/b-s-g-google-camera-port-developed-mi-8-t3843130

thanks!  I am testing it out as we speak... thanks for all your suggestions!
2019-05-31 14:05:13

Pro Bunny

btkli Author | from MI 8

JoVo008
https://forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/themes/b-s-g-google-camera-port-developed-mi-8-t3843130

just a quick question, how do I know I have switched to the other lens?  I have been trying to zoom in and out ,but there were no indications I switched lenses.  I also have the back camera set as Nexus 6p, but doesn't that phone only have one back camera?  also I enabled "add AUX to camera switch" already
2019-05-31 21:13:01