In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

General

[Q&A] rom fragmentation

2019-05-10 02:00:08
271 9
noticed recently there are more and more versions of the official miui being released...

instead of just global and china we have a global, EEA rom, russia rom, mexico, india, i think now also an it - italy? rom?

is this really the way to go? even with 2 it seems hard to release updates in time, won't this cause even more release issues and fragmentation?

i'm hoping for official info on who these roms are meant for in each case - i.e. why would someone from eu for example pick the eu rom over the global one and why not? i think also switching between them should be supported from the updater application instead of the miflash hard reset...

does anyone have info on why this is happening?
2019-05-10 02:00:08
Favorites1 RateRate
Hey,

It is due to local policies in particular areas/countries/regions.

For Example, Face Unlock and Themes are available in a few countries only.  
2019-05-10 11:01:09

Master Bunny

laviniuc Author |

so why not base that on the region selected by the user - like the themes part? i can understand china versus global cuz you have the google apps or not which is a big part of the os, but for disabling a face id which nobody uses anyway??? separate build trees to maintain and test to me seems way way too much. hwo are you gonna make sure each phone gets all versions updated properly- you barely keep up with security patches as it is? it's gonna be a logistics nighmare. when are you picking test/beta teams for the various versions being "invented"?
edit: anyway, why not allow switching them from the updater app?
2019-05-11 17:11:25

Master Bunny

laviniuc Author | from mobile

aaand the first victim is mi9se... latest ota 10.3.1 pfbeuxm for eea killed stock/official devices.
2019-06-22 04:42:53
laviniuc replied at 2019-06-22 09:42:53
aaand the first victim is mi9se... latest ota 10.3.1 pfbeuxm for eea killed stock/official devices.

It must be a new commercial policy to boost sales in Europe.
Or maybe its one of those MI community daily missions. Play Russian roulette with an OTA.
Anyway, the same happened to me with a REDMI 6 shortly after I bought it and although it was still under warranty, I had to ship the bricked device abroad, by registered and insured mail at my own cost and pay in advance the returning costs.
The repair was free but the shipping costs exceeded 30% of the price of the device. I learned my lesson about XIAOMI.

2019-06-22 10:30:59

Master Bunny

laviniuc Author |

GUS57 replied at 2019-06-22 17:30:59
It must be a new commercial policy to boost sales in Europe.
Or maybe its one of those MI community daily missions. Play Russian roulette with an OTA.
Anyway, the same happened to me with a REDMI 6 shortly after I bought it and although it was still under warranty, I had to ship the bricked device abroad, by registered and insured mail at my own cost and pay in advance the returning costs.

so sorry :( looks like the fix is pretty easy... "fastboot continue" remember it if you even run into ota issues ;)
2019-06-22 17:08:59
laviniuc replied at 2019-06-22 22:08:59
so sorry :( looks like the fix is pretty easy... "fastboot continue" remember it if you even run into ota issues ;)

Yeap, I read in your other thread that you were very successful (or lucky). Congrats, you have made some users very happy.
The problem is those users that are not aware of the existence of this forum, and/or do not own a computer with windows.

2019-06-22 18:45:26

Master Bunny

laviniuc Author | from mobile

GUS57
Yeap, I read in your other thread that you were very successful (or lucky). Congrats, you have made some users very happy.
The problem is those users that are not aware of the existence of this forum, and/or do not own a computer with windows.

yep, they should be more careful with otas...
2019-06-22 18:46:55

Master Bunny

laviniuc Author |

hurray, they invented a brand new branch... TH (assuming it's Thailand?) for redmi 7... someone high up on the food chain at xiaomi must think their devs are getting bored...
2019-07-22 07:35:48
The fragmentation can be seen here on c.mi.com as well. I think that's a strategy to disperse critics, because very obviously c.mi.com is just intended to be a fun and entertaining place, not a place where you can have direct discussions with the devs. Anyway, does Xiaomi have devs in Europe? The Americas? Anywhere but China? Have you ever seen competent devs discussing issues here on c.mi.com? Maybe the devs just lack foreign language skills ...

If only Xiaomi would care ...
2019-07-29 10:21:19