In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi A2/Lite

[Announcement] Mi A2 boot loop after factory reset - is my phone bricked? :(

2018-12-18 09:53:19 Edit Delete
7471 22
Hello everyone, I'm hopping someone could help me...

I had just installed the Android Pie update (december 5 update, if I'm not mistaken) when I decided to do a factory reset, starting fresh...

... Then my phone entered a boot loop, and I'm unable to restore it. I didn't activated USB debbuging (how would I know?), and my bootloader is locked.

I can only enter the fastboot menu, there is no option if I hold Vol Up + Power to enter the recovery menu. I alread tried to flash it with the stock rom provided in the link https://en.miui.com/download-353.html, using the Mi Flash app, but all I get is a "Flash bluetooth_a error".

So, what can I do now?

Any help will be apreciated!

Thanks!

Moises
2018-12-18 09:53:19
Favorites4
Hi!

Try to use
  1. Fastboot flashing unlock_critical
Copy the Code
command first.

Regards.
choukawaii
2018-12-19 04:46:35

I have the same issue.. phone bricked after december update but I don't have unlocked bootloader. How should I proceed?
2018-12-19 05:38:09

Thank you for your response. I tried to no avail. It says that "Flashing Unlock is not allowed".

The frustrating part is that I only did a factory reset... Never installed any custom ROM or fiddle with any advanced configurations...

Anything else I could try? I'm getting desesperate here.
2018-12-19 06:33:43

I'm afraid that if the device is not unlocked yet, the attempt to unlock the bootloader will caused a factory-reset-like state. The command is
  1. fastboot oem unlock
Copy the Code
2018-12-19 07:24:57

Once again, thank you for helping out!

Tried "fastboot oem unlock" to the same result: "flashing unlock is not allowed". :(

I don't need my personal data on the device, I can restore everything later from the cloud, so I'm willing to try anything even if my user data is wiped...

Searching for another way to unlock my device I found out the Mi Unlock app, but after registering, I only get the same response: "Current account cannot unlock this device". I wonder if I should ask for permission inside the phone, something impossible since I can't access it. :(

Do you have other ideas, friend? I'm willing to try anything....

Regards,

Moises
2018-12-19 08:17:51

I am exactly with the same problem, Moses.
My Mi A2 simply went into Infinite Loop and has the Bootloader locked.
And USB debugging I can not activate because the phone will not turn on.

I'm desperate, too, and I did not use it. It arrived, I made the upgrade to Android P and when I reset the settings entered into Infinite Loop.

Please, if anyone can help us!
2018-12-20 05:08:00

#metoo
My fathers phone has also the same problem since the december update. I'm trying to fix it for him. But are also unable to do anything because of a locked bootloader.
Only fastboot works, but I'm not able to unlock it via 'fastboot oem unlock' or 'fastboot flashing unlock_critical' commands. When I issue the commands it gives error messages same as @mosaias.

Phone is now 1,5 month old. November update give problem because of dutch language setting and pin code on SIM card (was easy to fix although...). The December update made the phone a brick. I am afraid of the January 2019 update.
2018-12-20 06:28:37
I read on my usual techsite, Tweakers.net (dutch)  that  you should make sure that your sim card does not have a PIN code.
If it does, put the sim in a different phone and remove the code.
2018-12-20 10:06:53

Already tried that - with a SIM card inserted, without a SIM card, with a SIM card from a friend... No avail.
2018-12-20 17:25:03

This was the solution for the November 2018 bug.
This is about the December 2018 'bug'...
2018-12-21 13:50:17