Hello, folks. As a regular Xiaomi user, I decided to change my half an year old Mi 5x with the new Redmi Note 5 Global. I chose the 4 GB black version.|
1. Build quality - is decent as you can expect from a Xiaomi phone. The plastic bands on the upper and lower parts of the body somewhat spoil the appearance and make the phone less attractive compared to Mi 5x for example. The black matte back is fingerprint magnet but this is not a problem, since most will use the included by Xiaomi black silicon case.
2. Display - I am somewhat disappointed. I think the display suffers from color calibration issues. The standard preset + constant contrast makes the colors to look more realistic for the price of very warm whites. The automatic contrast preset with standard color makes the whites OK, but the green becomes very pale and red and orange - unnaturally saturated. The sun legibility is nothing to write about - overall it's ok.
3. MIUI - It comes with MIUI 184.108.40.206 (Oreo 8.1) preinstalled. I find the icons both desktop and notification ones to be too small for the screen size. EU users should be aware that themes cant be changed (themes app is missing) due to some legislation issues, but there is a workaround - change the region to India and voala - the theme app appears. Sometimes the theme randomly reverts to the default which I think is a known bug in MIUI 9.5.
4. Performance - It didn't notice any lag in the UI or while browsing. I haven't tried any games yet. The phone is cool during usage.
5. Battery life - because I use my phone a lot for tethering I can't determine what the battery life is, but overall it seems good and a lot better than my Mi 5x
6. Camera - haven't tested fully the camera but seems comparable to Mi 5x.
The speaker is quite average and worse than Mi 5x. The sound can be loud with some distortions with higher levels, but is very dull. When I connected the phone to my Pioneer BT car audio I found the sound lacking of Mids and of less quiality than Mi 5x. The sound was ok with my JBL BT headphones though.
So what are my final notes about RMN5. It is a decent phone for the price but didn't make say wow.