Tech

[Other] [Tech With Furqaan Ep.4] Delving Into The World Of Routers!

2017-04-15 12:39 PM

33,827 118
LEGEND_20170415_122837.gif

Hey Mi Fans,

I am here with another episode of Tech With Furqaan Series. The last episode was all about Fitness Trackers and I am sure you must have learnt a lot of things from it! Today, I am up with another episode of the series and this time I will be covering the technology of Routers! Excited, are you?

Do you know the full form of WiFi? No? The full form of WiFi is Wireless Fidelity. Now let's come to the main point! Routers or you can say WiFi Routers are basically a device by which you can access the internet, right? This is what you know? But do you know how it actually works? Don't lie! I know you don't know. Don't worry, I am here to explain it to you! So Mi Fans we are about to Dive in the world of Technology, come along with your diving suits as we are going very deep in the world of Technology!!

What is a WiFi Router?

Nano1_13881_1446392315.jpg

A router is a networking device that forwards data packets between computer networks. Routers perform the traffic directing functions on the Internet.

OK! In simple words, A router is a device that forwards the internet from a computer network to the wireless devices just like Phone, Laptop and etc. Simple yet amazing, right?

Delving Into The World Of Routers
XiaoMi-Mi-WiFi-Router-Youth-Edition-2.png
Before we delve into the world of routers, let's first understand what is a broadband connection and how it works. So broadband is "a high-speed, high-capacity transmission medium that can carry signals from multiple independent network carriers. It is used to transmit data, voice and video over long distances simultaneously."

And now comes the routers. So, in simple words Routers take information that arrives through your broadband signal via a modem and then deliver it to your connected computer. The router will also choose the best route for the data packet so that you receive the information quickly.

Many different types of routers with different ranges have been developed so that the information coming over your broadband connection can be sent to a variety of different receivers including your computer, your phone, and others gadgets.

How does a Router work?

xiaomi-mi-wifi-router-3-white-001.jpg

A router creates or maintain a table of the available routes and their conditions and use this information along with distance and cost algorithms to determine the best route for a given packet.

A router will have at least two network cards, one physically connected to one network and the other physically connected to another network. A router can connect any number of networks together as it has dedicated network cards for each network.

Let me explain you in simple words! A router is a Layer 3 network gateway device, meaning that it connects two or more networks and that the router operates at the network layer of the OSI (Open System Interconnection) model. They function as special-purpose computers, the ones that does not require a keyboard or display.

The router's memory stores an embedded operating system (O/S).  These operating systems are manufactured into a binary firmware image and are commonly called Router Firmware.

By maintaining configuration information in a part of memory called the routing table, routers also can filter both incoming or outgoing traffic based on the addresses of senders and receivers.

Components of a Router!

• Central Processing Unit (CPU)
  • Flash Memory
  • Non-Volatile RAM
  • RAM
  • Network Interfaces
  • Console

Getting Through The Types of Routers

xiaomi_mi_router1413190438.jpg

So basically there are several types of routers that you will want to understand. You need to know the difference so that you can set up your network or at least so that you can understand what the local computer guy tells you to do.

Wireless Routers

Wireless routers connect to your modem and create a wireless signal in your home or office. So, any computer within range can connect to your wireless router and use your broadband Internet. The only way to keep anyone from connecting to your system is to secure your router.

Well, If you are using a wireless router then don't forget to change the router ID and password frequently or else someone else might lock you out of your system and can hack it!

Broadband Routers

Broadband routers can be used to do several different types of things. They can be used to connect two different computers or to connect two computers to the Internet simutaneously. They can also be used to create a phone connection too.

If you are using Voice over IP (VoIP) technology, then you will need a broadband router to connect your Internet to your phone. These are often a special type of modem that will have both Ethernet and phone jacks. By this type of Routers you can even use phone to call and can also access internet.

Getting in touch with Mi WiFi Routers!

Original_Mi_Wi-Fi_nano1440065417.jpg

Have you ever heard about Mi WiFi Routers? No? Let me take you on a short trip to the World of Mi WiFi Routers!

There many different Xiaomi WiFi Routers in Xiaomi's Line Up! Let's check out the list of the same

• Xiaomi Mi WiFi Router Mini
  • Xiaomi Mi WiFi Router Nano
  • Xiaomi Mi WiFi Router 1
  • Xiaomi Mi WiFi Router 2
  • Xiaomi Mi WiFi Router 3
  • Xiaomi MI WiFi Router 3C
  • Xiaomi Mi WiFi Router 3A
  • Xiaomi Mi WiFi Router HD

Xiaomi routers are actually one of its kind each router has its own kind of innovation! Appearance, performance, stability and what not! All packed in just one router! All Mi WiFi routers can be controlled using a dedicated app specially made for Mi WiFi users with love!

An App to Control the World of Routers!

1478169738866337.jpg
You're able to take control of your Mi Wi-Fi with this smart assistant on phone anytime and anywhere.

Screenshots!

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

Features of Mi WiFi App

* Share Mi Wi-Fi: Share the router with your family.
* Mi Wi-Fi info: Share your router stats with friends.
* Security: Protect home network from unknown devices, hacking, malicious websites, and downloads…
* Router status: You can view CPU performance and network speed of all parts.
* Backup photos & hard drive files: You can almost back up everything you want on Mi Wi-Fi.
* Tencent VIP: Exchange your idle bandwidth for Tencent VIP easily (only hard disk router is supported).
* Mi Cloud: Backups for photos and videos will be synced automatically and safely to Mi Cloud (only hard disk router is supported).
* Broadband speed: Telecom Tianyi can accelerate the Wi-Fi speed for its users.

Final Verdict

The Xiaomi Mi Wi-Fi Routers are definitely the best routers in such a low price segment. They are not only cheaper in price but also comes with great features and stability. It outperforms many other expensive routers, currently available in the market. You will be astonished that how a gadget with such a low price tag performs so well. At the price of peanuts, this product will never cease to amaze you.

Sources of Information - 1, 2

Missed last sessions? Don't worry have a look at it from the below link!

[Tech With Furqaan Ep.1] Technology Behind Drones Explained!!
[Tech With Furqaan Ep.2] Android TV Box: What's That? What Do You Think?

[Tech With Furqaan Ep.3] Fitness Tracker: How It Works?

And now its time for you to tell me What Technology you want me to explain next week? Post your answers below!

Rate

Number of participants 4Experience +22 Collapse Reason
Saurabh Rai + 1 Useful!
SherinK + 1 Useful!
Shreyasrocks97 + 10 Useful!
iamlalitjangid + 10 Very nice!

View Rating Log

2017-04-15 12:39 PM
Reply Report

Master Bunny

Being Pabitra | from Redmi 3S

Just can't say what next, but truly enjoys your thread as they are very informative and useful too. Thanks for sharing those.
2017-04-15 01:28 PM
Reply Report

Furqaan Author | from Redmi Note 4

Being Pabitra
Just can't say what next, but truly enjoys your thread as they are very informative and useful too.  ...

I am glad you love to read my threads! :)
2017-04-15 01:35 PM
Reply Report

Master Bunny

Amrit Kumar Swain | from Redmi Note 3

Furqaan
I am glad you love to read my threads! :)

Nice information
2017-04-15 02:29 PM
Reply Report

Semi Pro Bunny

Gobinda4 | from Redmi 3S

Nice thread... ThnQ Bro for sharing
2017-04-15 02:50 PM
Reply Report
Thanks for sharing bro :-)
2017-04-15 02:51 PM
Reply Report

Rookie Bunny