In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 5/Pro

[Discussion] Faulty Power Button - responds as a double press

2019-04-15 20:00:19
323 10
Hello guys! How're you doing?
I bought my Xiaomi Redmi Note 5/Pro almost 9 months ago in Gearbest. When I received it, I don't remember to have any problems but I'm not completely sure about that one.
Since December, I've been "frequently" noticing that my Power button is not working decently. It happens like 1 time in 15, may be. The smartphone responds as a double press in the power button when I only pressed it once. That is so annoying because sometimes I want to lock the phone and it just turns the screen on immediately after... I think it's not a hardware problem because I have friends with the same smartphone that are not facing this.

I wanted to know if you are also facing this issue. I'm very sad because I don't have an official store in my country that can solve this and I'm unable to replace the button by myself. I tried to contact the store but they ask me for a video proof, which is difficult to get considering this doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.

Are/Were you facing this? What did you do?
2019-04-15 20:00:19
Favorites RateRate
I have Redmi 5 plus (same design as your Note 5), and it works perfect, BUT when I use a case, things change. I have to press 2-3-4 times to make it work. I had a case, what was rigid, not a silicon case, and I had "problems" like yours. Sometimes one press takes two commands, like I pressed 2 times. It was not the phone's problem. It was the low quality case!

Verify, it the screen, and the back part of the phone fits perfect. Did you dropped your phone? Little plastic peaces hold the phone's from and back parts together. If you dropped it, and one of them near the power button brakes, that may cause this kind of problem. If it's broken, you have to see a little distance between screen, and metal part.

They asked for video

Make a video, and press the button until the problem is showed.
2019-04-15 21:03:55

Advanced

floater3 Author | from Redmi Note 5

Hello. I never dropped my phone so I guess that it's impossible to be a consequence of the way I use it.
it's probably a hardware problem. I'm going to try to make the video to see if I can get it solved...
2019-04-15 21:09:17

Advanced

floater3 Author | from Redmi Note 5

Alex Pap
I have Redmi 5 plus (same design as your Note 5), and it works perfect, BUT when I use a case, thing ...

Talking about the case... I really don't know. I tried it without it and it seems that doesn't happen so frequently. just happened one time. but I use the case that the phone brings with it in the box.
2019-04-15 21:13:06

Rookie

tabopy | from Redmi Note 5

I have the same problem ... sometimes it doble press, i'm not sure if it is the phone itself or the case.
2019-04-15 22:17:57

Master

Tasos K | from Redmi 5 Plus

if it's not happening because of the case you can try using a spray cleaner for electric use. remove the protective case and spray directly in to the button and carefully look if it seems to penetrate from the sides into the phone.

If the inner of the button has dust or humidity  problem it will fix it.

if the problem remains, make sure that you have eliminate the change of an software error, reset device and run diagnostic test.
2019-04-15 23:58:39

Advanced

MadK9 | from mobile

Hmm, I do remember it happened to me a few times... But after 10.2.2.0 update it seems that the problem is gone. I do use the phone with its silicone cover that came in... Thing is, I didn't think that as a big problem so I guess it is not a big deal, at least for me. But it might not be hardware issue.
2019-04-16 01:15:50

Device team

Sarge7 | from Redmi Note 5

That's annoying . I don't have a solution.
    It's far from ideal but I would use a lockscreen widget on my home page .Not a solution as you probably want to power of completely from time to time .
2019-04-16 05:43:25

Advanced

1851445572 | from Redmi Note 5

I have the same problem too, well to tell you the truth it's a hardware problem because mine for example you can hear it click quieter than my cousin's note 5 that is a button problem and it's hardware. By the way hardware can be different from other same model phones so it doesn't mean they have to be identical from top to bottom
2019-04-16 07:41:23
i noticed the same thing after i bought my nillkin frosted case. without the case works fine
2019-04-16 08:04:43

Rookie

5195441033 | from mobile

I too have the same problem in my phone. I visited the authorized service center few times but the problem is that the issue doesn't occur always. It becomes hard to convince them that the phone is faulty.
2019-04-17 00:33:15