Mi Zone

[Entertainment] [Up For Debate] Can Smartphones Replace DSLR Cameras?

2018-01-12 08:51:36
317 11

Hi Mi Fans!

Hope your new year is off to a good start! We found less activity over this holiday period over at Mi community; hence we decided to kick the things up and start a new thread series - Up For Debate! To introduce you to this series - we'll try creating threads, polls, and debates on interesting topics. The topics will vary from anything to everything related to current technology. You guys are free to suggest topics you would like discussing on.

Okay, so let's start today's debate - Can Smartphones Replace DSLR Cameras?

Smartphones are getting better day by day, be it in terms of performance, music, productivity and more importantly camera. Modern smartphones are getting incredibly good at taking pictures. Perhaps we are soon going to approach a point where our smartphones might completely replace the large cameras. Why would anyone want to buy a point-and-shoot camera with a tiny sensor, when smartphones already have pretty decent image quality that is good enough for most people?

Phones Xiaomi's Mi 6 and Mi A1 shipping with dual lenses to enhance the camera's performance, and some manufacturers pushing larger sensors to specifically appeal the photography market, it is no wonder why some photographers might think that a smartphone is all they need to get professional results. The increasing quality of cameras for which various companies are competing for is indeed decreasing the sales of DSLRs and other professional cameras.

Although, it is very much important to note that technology does not necessarily move slower with larger sensors and camera systems. Those who are looking for a lot more professional set up larger camera systems have a lot more to offer. Larger sensors generally tend to have more dynamic range, better colors and better subject isolation capabilities due to differences in depth of field. And the best part of it, larger camera systems are not out of reach in terms of affordability anymore.

Alright, so what's your take over this? Do you think the smartphones will be able to take over professional cameras like they did for various other gadgets? Is the future of DSLRs not very bright? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Single Poll thread Total 7 Users Voted

14.29% (1)

85.71% (6)

0% (0)

Submit

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +15 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2018-01-12 08:51:36
Favorites2 RateRate

Mi Comm team

谭将俊 (Tham Jiang Jun) | from Redmi 5 Plus

At the moment I dont think so! I'm a wanna be videographer and there are some features that smartphones doesn't have. If I'm not mistaken one feature is the high frames per second that can be taken. A decent DSLR can take up to 120 frames per second, and I haven't seen that effect replicated on the smartphone though. nonetheless, I believe there will always be improvements to the smartphones' camera performance!!! thanks for sharing!!!!
2018-01-12 13:41:45

Intern Moderator

SeppeBaelus | from Mi A1

I just purchased a DSLR about a week ago because the smartphones I own just can't do what I want. So no, for now they won't replace DSLR's.
2018-01-12 15:31:50

Mi Community Helper

Shairuddin | from MI MAX 2

obviously smart phones They can't replace the DSLR CAMERAS
2018-01-12 21:15:57

Mi Community Helper

MridulSharma Author | from Redmi 3S

Yes at the moment, it isn't possible; but in future it definitely is. We all have noticed how Smartphones took away the place of most of the gadgets!

120 fps? I had seen phones at GSMArena which can take up 120 frames per second but indeed that was at lower resolution and does require improvement.

Nonetheless, I still think the time is coming closer when we'll see the end of DSLRs.

Thanks for sharing your view! :D
2018-01-13 04:52:17
Have a nice day ahead ;)

Mi Community Helper

SeppeBaelus
I just purchased a DSLR about a week ago because the smartphones I own just can't do what I want. So ...

So, how's that DSLR? You loving it?

2018-01-13 04:53:03
Have a nice day ahead ;)

Mi Community Helper

Shairuddin
obviously smart phones They can't replace the DSLR CAMERAS

Yeah, at least not now but in future they should!

2018-01-13 04:53:35
Have a nice day ahead ;)

Intern Moderator

SeppeBaelus | from Mi A1

MridulSharma
So, how's that DSLR? You loving it?

Bought a budget-friendly Canon 1200. Nothing special, but it's more flexible .
2018-01-13 05:46:11

Bunny Novato

Ranger Power | from Redmi Note 4

Highly doubt so. Phone camera still does not have full manual mode and super zoom. I am a moon photographer and these 2 are big factors for me. Currently using Sony RX10iv.
2018-01-13 10:09:59

Mi Community Helper

Ranger Power
Highly doubt so. Phone camera still does not have full manual mode and super zoom. I am a moon photo ...

Indeed, Thanks for sharing your views. Do you have any of your photography to share with us all? :)
2018-01-13 10:10:53
Have a nice day ahead ;)

Bunny Novato

Ranger Power | from Redmi Note 4

You mean my moon pics? I don't have it on my phone though. You guys interested I can post.
2018-01-16 15:56:25