In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Global Fans

[News] The Wonder Trip in Scotland with Mi 10 Pro Camera @GunplaMad

2020-03-20 07:28:02
3136 122
Hi Mi Fans,
The new feature we are going to look in detail in this thread is the new 108MP Quad Camera set up. We welcome our Mi Explorer from UK —— @GunplaMad to show his experience with the brilliant camera of Mi 10 pro.

“I can happily say I have done some extensive work in this area of the Mi 10 Pro as you will all agree that the camera is definitely the most exciting feature that most people are asking about or possibly considering moving across to this phone once it's available.” @GunplaMad said in his thread.

First off we will look at the specs of the Mi 10 Pro's camera as you may know is different from the Mi 10.

Key camera specifications:
  • Primary: 108MP, 1/1.33-inch sensor with 25mm-equivalent, f/1.69-aperture lens, OIS (25MP output resolution)
  • Short telephoto: 12MP, 1/2.6-inch sensor with 50mm-equivalent, f/2-aperture lens, Dual PD autofocus, large 1.4μm pixels
  • Long telephoto: 8MP, with 94mm-equivalent, f/2-aperture lens, OIS, 10x hybird zoom
  • Ultra-wide: 20MP, with 13mm-equivalent, f/2.2-aperture lens, up to 117° FoV
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 chipset

So I now invite you and come with me on my journey through Scotland with the lenses of the Mi 10 Pro.

My goal on this journey was to experience new skills and capture Scotland the best I could in a short period of time.

First thing I had done was my visit to the Glasgow necropolis to get a sense for the camera sensor at night using Night Mode and other features like AI Mode. I quickly realised how impressed I was with the camera on my initial trials. I tried out the Portrait Mode with my Lego space man as he was fitting for the Mi Explorer theme.

As the weather hasn't been truly the best of late in Scotland with the wettest few months I've seen in many years, I had to think about weather conditions and plan b's for indoor subjects to show you all the modes and lenses I could use in different conditions.

This photo where I used the 108MP Auto Mode for the first time.The zoomed in image I've added so you get a sense of how much you can see once you zoom in on this 108MP image either using the stock Gallery app or Google Photos.

9.1MP ƒ/2 1/50 8.16 mm ISO134

I played about with Portrait Mode as you can see in the image over with a new feature called movie frame that changes the aspect ratio to cinematic 21:9 scale at 9.1MP due to the scaling but you can see the results are quite impressive. This feature can also be used in video recording.

9.1 MP ƒ/2 1/319 8.16 mm ISO50
25.2 MP ƒ/1.69 1/1861 6.72 mm ISO50
27.1 MP ƒ/1.7 30s 6.72 mm ISO100
27.1 MP ƒ/1.7 30s 6.72 mm ISO200
27.1 MP ƒ/1.7 30s 6.72 mm ISO100

I set the shutter speed for 30 secs and set my ISO from 80-200 for some different shots. I also played around by waiting for cars to go by and also using a light in my hand to write Mi 10 in the middle of the road in the 30 second time frame but as I'm moving you won't see me and only the high exposure from the torch’s light trails.

The next day I set off on the train to Edinburgh to do some sight seeing and maybe go to somewhere I haven't been before.
I got some great photos mainly using the macro mode which did pick up the plants and flowers with the camera AI to increase the vibrancy of the colours.

I headed back into the heart of Edinburgh and went to the best viewing point in the city at Calton Hill where there are some beautiful monuments with perfect backdrops.

The next chance I got was to get out at night around Glasgow and go down to the Clyde in the city to get some night shots of Glasgow’s landscape of the SSE Hydro Arena and Exhibition Centre.

The historical town of Paisley where there is some very interesting building such as the Anchor Mill that was famous for its textiles worldwide and its old Paisley Abbey.

As you can see below how impressive the detail for the abbey ceiling is and how the Mi 10 Pro really helps you get a sense of this detail as without it, I wouldn’t really be able to see everything by myself looking up.

So I leave you with this last image I take using a filter attachment clip for mobiles. This allowed me to take this waterfall water effect by slowing down the shutter speed.

Any of the photos that have been edited in this thread were done by using Adobe Lightroom App on Android.

Please also take into consideration that the Mi 10 Pro that we Mi Explorers have all received are running beta software.

Conclusion
So after having this phone for a few weeks now, I am very impressed with the camera capabilities and the flexibility that all four lenses provide you in different settings.     

As I will attach a link to my Google Photo Album of all my work you can go into and see for yourself the details of each image.

DxOMark review HERE as let's face it, they are the true experts in mobile phone camera technology and have scored the Mi 10 Pro appropriately putting it at joint No.1 spot in DxOMark rating charts.
When using a new camera on a phone you always want to be inspired to take photos and also you can tell I have felt very inspired the whole way through the testing of the Mi 10 Pro’s camera.

Pro’s

AI Mode - More options are available thanks to the Snapdragon 865

108 MP - This can’t be ignored as a serious benefit when taking images in this resolution and zooming in to see details you may have missed, especially buildings. Also the speed of the shutter in this mode is extremely impressive compared to the Mi Note 10 from what I’ve seen.

Docs - Scan docs now within the stock app. To me this is a big benefit to scan documents quickly as I’ve used the genius scan app for a long time.

Portrait Mode - There is clearly much better edge detection in this mode and added features like the movie frame.

Pro Mode - More options than ever for photographers as I have shown earlier in this thread.

Con’s

Camera bump is large like most phones nowadays, but this made clip-on filters hard to align and also have to make a rubber piece to fill in the gaps where there was space letting light in between the back of the phone and the filter.

Portrait Mode Auto Focus - I found the auto focus in portrait mode didn’t adjust quick enough sometimes when wanting to catch quickly like moving objects. This will hopefully get updated.

Phone Design - I had no case provided with the phone and having a glass sandwich is very nerve racking as it is slippy.

Rate

Number of participants 5 Experience +66 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-03-20 07:28:02
Favorites59 RateRate

Wizard Bunny

BeingBishal | from Mi 9T Pro

Thanks for sharing with us!
2020-03-20 07:31:21

Mi Influencer

Mi 甜甜 | from Mi 10 Pro

Good Job @GunplaMad
2020-03-20 07:45:13

Wizard Bunny

iMKajal | from MI 8

Wow!
2020-03-20 08:19:14

Moderador

przybort | from app

Super!. super!
2020-03-20 08:56:13
These pictures are excellent as usual for Mi fans with photographing talent. But I wonder if with such a powerful camera and Xiaomi's ingenuity with camera software if even a layman like me could take decent shots.
2020-03-20 09:16:30

Pro Bunny

STF4ever | from MI 9

thanx
2020-03-20 09:30:36

Grand Master Bunny

Mi-FE | from Mi 9T

thanks
2020-03-20 10:14:25

Master Bunny

myrichgoh | from MI 8

Thanks for sharing...