Tech

[News] It's middle of 2017 but Xiaomi is still fooling users with phones that run 2-yr-

2017-07-17 15:44:44
1259 22
Do you know that if you check the specs page for Mi Max on Xiaomi India website, you will not see what version of Android it is running? Do you know the reason? Xiaomi wants this information hidden, it doesn't want to tell consumers what version of Android is there on the Mi Max, because the phone runs an almost 2-year-old version of Android. And same is going to be the case with upcoming Mi Max 2. It was two years ago on May 28, 2015 when Google released the Android Marshmallow. This was the beta version of operating system. Since then the company has released the final version of Marshmallow in September 29, 2015 and the Android Nougat in August 2016, and then a few months ago Android O, which will be Android 8. Yet, Xiaomi on July 18 will launch its latest phone called Mi Max 2 in India with Android Marshmallow, an operating system that even budget phonemakers are no longer using.It's not clear why Xiaomi loves the older versions of software in its phones. May be it has something to do with the fact that in China -- the home country of the company -- Android is officially banned. In China it doesn't matter what version of Android Xiaomi is using under its MIUI user interface because consumers don't care. May be in a bid to keep the R&D cost down, or just to avoid the hassles -- necessary but hassle nonetheless -- of providing users with the latest version of Android, Xiaomi makes no efforts to update its phones to the latest Android in India.The argument that Xiaomi makes for not providing the latest Android updates or not launching phones with latest Android is that it doesn't matterThe exact reasons aren't clear. But what is clear is that anyone who buys a Xiaomi phone not only ends up with a device that runs older version of Android but will also probably never ever get an update to the latest Android.It is probably the failure of Google too that it can't force phone makers like Xiaomi to give consumers the latest Android but more than that it has to do with the way Xiaomi has created and built the whole MIUI, which it calls its custom operating system. First of all, to ensure that consumers don't realise what they are missing out by not having access to the latest version of Android, Xiaomi in MIUI has created software that looks and feels nothing like Android even though it is based on Android. Most of the Android features, including the user interface, are replaced by Xiaomi's own take on what the users are supposed to get.This is the reason why some phones running MIUI 8 -- read high-end phones -- are build on top of the Android Nougat, that is the version of Android released last year. At the same time, there are some phones -- read most of the budget phones that Xiaomi sells in India -- continue to use two-year-old Marshmallow even though they to run the MIUI 8. The MIUI in both types of phones looks similar.In a way, this allows Xiaomi to claim that its phones run software that has a consistent look and feel across all its devices. But then so are Motorola's phones, and they use the latest version of Android. The Moto phones don't resort to the kind of shenanigans that Xiaomi phones employ.The argument that Xiaomi makes for not providing the latest Android updates or not launching phones with latest Android is that it doesn't matter. According to Xiaomi, and this is based on some comments Xiaomi product manager Jai Mani made in a Reddit thread, what matters are the security updates and those updates the Chinese company provides to its users.However, in the same post where he defended Xiaomi's policy of not updating phones to latest version of Android, he also said that a lot of "core users (myself included) want the latest and greatest". To cater to these consumers, Xiaomi tries to " get out the newer versions of Android into beta track as soon as possible".In the next few weeks when Xiaomi Mi Max 2 comes to the market, many people who buy it will be getting a phone that runs two-year-old Android. Xiaomi
2017-07-17 15:44:44
Favorites RateRate
if it is true. so it should not happen from now.xiomi is becoming popular a lot
2017-07-17 18:06:46
Android is old but the Miui skin is latest which gives the device a different look and different feel while using.
2017-07-17 19:55:35
It also has the latest Android security patches
2017-07-17 20:41:55
Thanks for sharing
2017-07-17 21:53:06
before buying the phone ,they clearly tell us it's marshmallow! so if u don't like to use marshmallow! why did u buy a xioami phone? u can opt other phone which has latest Android
2017-07-17 21:57:47
thanks for sharing
2017-07-17 22:01:08
Thanks for sharing
2017-07-17 22:17:23

โปร บันนี่

manoandal | from Redmi Note 4

Xiaomi is known for being too slow or reluctant to android updates.
2017-07-17 22:32:05
Akhil ravula
before buying the phone ,they clearly tell us it's marshmallow! so if u don't like to use marshmallo ...

I bought redmi 3s prime, before buying thwy told me its 4100 mh work 10-12 hrs hardly, they told me all miui rom has bugs, they told me voda 4g dont work in 3s it has not lte 2100 band 1, they told me it has mic issue, they told me it heats like iron rod,  they told me u cant watch video more than 15 mins, it heats, they told me 3gb ram but u cant play game,  its hangs a lot.
2017-07-17 22:38:18
fake news..........
2017-07-17 22:42:06

Mi Comm APP

Stay updated on Mi Products and MIUI

Copyright
Content Policty
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list