In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 5/Pro

[Other] Help. Whyred not booting. Battery problem maybe

2019-07-21 08:26:28
379 11
After I accidently put my thigh on it, my Rn5 Pro switched off even though i think it still had 18 % battery left. It has a rugged cover on it. Since then it's been all sorts of crazy.

On connecting the charger, the Mi logo appeared, then the battery logo, and then the screen turned off. The screen used to turn off and on without showing any logo, in a sort of bootloop. I was able to access fastboot, though only for a second by holding down [Power + Vol-] and connecting the charger. The screen turned off in about a second.

Then suddenly i was able to boot into the system, and it stayed on untill charger was removed. Then i left it to charge for a long time. When I came back, the device was 81% charged and remained on even when the charger was removed. Progress.

I just had to test it, so I gave another "physical impact" to the device [Rigorous testing is required as I dont want to have a device that may fail at a crucial time]. Meaning I through it on the sofa from about half a meter above. When i checked, the device had already rebooted. Then I gave it a harder impact and Now I am back to square one.

The device doesnt even sometimes show the battery icon of the boot screen; just the Mi logo, and it turns off with sometimes the notification light blinking. I got the back cover open somehow [They could have welded that thing and opening it would still be easier].

Now the device is just sitting there with the charger conncected, with not even the LED blinking. Also, it shows different behaviour when connected to the laptop via the same USB cable, it does the bootloop thing.
UPDATE: I was able to boot again, while connected to the laptop via USB 2.0, with turning off when the phone was disturbed. now again it does not boot. An interesting thing is that sometimes i see 100% or 80-ish % charged battery symbols [the times i was able to boot]; while other times the battery is empty. ON the boot screen, that is. In the system, the battery is always 80-ish%. Still nothing on the charger side.

2019-07-21 08:26:28
Favorites1 RateRate

Advanced Bunny

Matt Max Author |

What I think is that the battery hasn't charged a single bit. It just runs off of the connected power, and when it can't, it turns off.
2019-07-21 09:07:09

Device team

Sarge7 | from Redmi Note 5

When you physically damaged the phone and then took the back off , were    you able to check the battery connectors to make sure the terminals are unaffected ?
2019-07-21 11:14:07

Advanced Bunny

Matt Max Author |

Sarge7 replied at 2019-07-21 20:44:07
When you physically damaged the phone and then took the back off , were    you able to check the battery connectors to make sure the terminals are unaffected ?

Nothing looks wrong on the battery end. But i can't get the correct screwdriver for opening the metal bracket that one has to open to get the battery out, so i can't confirm if the connection on the motherboard is still intact or not.
2019-07-21 12:37:11

Device team

Matt Max
What I think is that the battery hasn't charged a single bit. It just runs off of the connected power, and when it can't, it turns off.

It does sound like a battery connection issue and I would visit a repair service.
  I don't know enough about the inner workings .
  Some phones, laptops ,PC's etc  will run from a mains power source with no battery , whilst others will not .
My laptop runs solely of mains as battery is defective . If I reinsert battery it will boot up to system and shut down or shut down on boot
Sounds similar to your experience .
2019-07-21 15:34:52

Pro Bunny

Marcos1809 | from Redmi Note 5

Sarge7
It does sound like a battery connection issue and I would visit a repair service.
  I don't know enough about the inner workings .
  Some phones, laptops ,PC's etc  will run from a mains power source with no battery , whilst others will not .

Interesting, I run my laptop the same way :-) Focusing on the phone, there could be damaged traces on the motherboard, any SMD component got loose, any random connector disconnected or the mentioned battery issue, which would be the best thing to happen, since it's the easiest to repair. The phone can definitely take a hit, though, so putting the weight of a thigh on it means that something might have bent too far.
2019-07-21 16:24:45

Advanced Bunny

Matt Max Author |

Marcos1809 replied at 2019-07-22 01:54:45
Interesting, I run my laptop the same way :-) Focusing on the phone, there could be damaged traces on the motherboard, any SMD component got loose, any random connector disconnected or the mentioned battery issue, which would be the best thing to happen, since it's the easiest to repair. The phone can definitely take a hit, though, so putting the weight of a thigh on it means that something might have bent too far.

Oh yeah it can take a hit. Especially with the rugged cover and an edge-to-edge tempered glass.
2019-07-21 20:29:26

Pro Bunny

Marcos1809 | from Redmi Note 5

Matt Max
Oh yeah it can take a hit. Especially with the rugged cover and an edge-to-edge tempered glass.

Enclosed in a leather cover (book style) that holds it with an internal silicone cover worked for me :-) I dropped it hard enough 3 times and the glue in one corner of the cover was torn off, the phone was slightly dinged in that corner as well, but the glass is untouched, protected by 2mm of leather and cardboard. With protection it's more about damping than being hard.
2019-07-22 01:15:57

Advanced Bunny

Matt Max Author |

The official service center guys told me that they can only replace the entire motherboard, at 7000 INR {~100 US DOLLARS}.

An unofficial repairs guy told me that he'll have to do a "software" repair.

Could this be an S/W problem?
2019-07-26 07:33:12

Device team

Matt Max
The official service center guys told me that they can only replace the entire motherboard, at 7000 INR {~100 US DOLLARS}.

An unofficial repairs guy told me that he'll have to do a "software" repair.

What's an S/W problem ? .
  You say the unofficial guy will do a software update . What method is that when your phone only boots when in USB charge mode ?.
If this software update method doesn't work , what next , change motherboard ?
2019-07-26 17:27:37

Advanced Bunny

Matt Max Author |

Sarge7 replied at 2019-07-27 02:57:37
What's an S/W problem ? .
  You say the unofficial guy will do a software update . What method is that when your phone only boots when in USB charge mode ?.
If this software update method doesn't work , what next , change motherboard ?

S/W problem, as in, it actually may be A BOOTLOOP?

Software update..
Idk, maybe EDL works.. I wasn't able to check as I didn't have the screwdriver.
2019-07-27 05:42:12