In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

POCOPHONE F1

[Q&A] Is unlocked bootloader the same as root?

2019-06-03 12:17:41
201 3
Hello,
On my Poco F1 I have unlocked my bootloader. In the Netherlands, Netflix has blocked his app for rooted phones.
But is unlocking the bootloader the same as rooting? I can't install Netflix app anymore. The app says that this app will not work on my phone.
Before unlocking I had installed Netflix and it words well. (Now I have made a link to the website and this works also).

2019-06-03 12:17:41
Favorites RateRate

Rookie Bunny

DiogoSC | from Redmi Note 6 Pro

No, but to root the phone, you need to unlock the bootloader
2019-06-03 12:30:16

happybuddhist | from app

Unlocking the bootloader and Rooting are two entirely different processes. As mentioned in comment #1, to root your device, you need an unlocked bootloader. You can have an unlocked bootloader with or without root. Bootloader is the program that runs the OS or ROM of your device when you turn on or boot up your device (hence the name 'Bootloader'). Unlocking only means that you have access to the bootloader partition of the system - gives you access to flash custom ROMs. Root is not needed for this process though.

With root, you get access to all the system partitions, and can make changes temporarily or permanently, depending on your choice. With root, you get the 'Superuser' access to the system, more like the Administrator privileges in Windows. Since Android is based on Linux, the term 'root' is used.

Unlocking the bootloader does NOT void warranty as far as POCO is concerned. But this is not the case with other devices. Also, an unlocked device are more prone to security threats and that's the reason why many countries have restrictions (like that you mentioned) for unlocked devices. You may still be able to sideload the apps and services you want, or use a VPN for it's functioning.

Cheers! :-)
2019-06-03 13:27:14

Advanced Bunny

stalkerii | from app

weird I have rooted phone an no app botters with that.  not Fortnite Pokemon go Netflix  or any of that wouldn't work with root .( even when I have  unlocked  bootloader no apps disturbed me with   that ). I recommend to go ahead and root with the lastest magiks and  then use magisk hide
2019-06-04 04:30:35