Mi Router 3C

[Tips] Setup Mi Router 3C with Mi Wi-Fi App in No Time

2017-05-16 02:45 PM

175,605 550
setup3c.png

Hello Mi Fans!
Mi India just unveiled it's Mi Router 3C with 4 HG antennas for a super sharp stable signal presence and with many market leading features at a jaw dropping price of Rs. 1199/-.

Although configuring Mi Router 3C is pretty simple task with it's intuitive setup procedure, but if you still need a helping hand then check this guide. This guide intends to serve a reference for setting up a new Mi router for the first time via Mi Wi-Fi app, do note that same can be accomplished via WebUI too.

Step 1
  • Download and Install the Mi Wi-Fi app from this link or scan this QR code.
  • Plug in the MI Router and give it a required internet connection to it's WAN Port (blue one with internet written over) via network cable (RJ45), and wait till the status LED goes blue indicating you are good to go now.

02.png

Step 2
  • Turn on Wi-Fi in phone, connect to the Wi-Fi nework with a name leading Xiaomi_XXXX
  • Open the app, select the option "set up a new router"

03.png

Step 3
It will detect the connection of WAN and load the page like this below:

A) For PPPoE Connection
  • If your internet connection type is PPPoE (confirm with your ISP) then click the option at the end of the page called "Dial Up access" & input the username and password.
  • Fill in the required information & click "Next"

04.png

Importing Authentication Credentials from Old Router:
  • You can import ISP settings, username & password from the existing router by clicking "Import ISP settings & password from existing router" button.
  • You will need one extra network (RJ45) cable, connect the one end to MI router LAN port & other end to WAN port of old router, as depicted in the image, keeping rest setup as is and both routers powered on. Click "connected, preparing to import" button

05.png

B) For DHCP LAN / Wi-Fi CPE LAN / Login Page Based Connection
  • If your internet connection is one of the above said type then local IP will be assigned to your router automatically upon connecting router's WAN to internet via network cable, but you will be required to authenticate yourself for internet session on ISP login page with ISP given credentials.

Note: Depending on the network type options & order might slightly differ.

Step 4
  • Click next and setup Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and password.
  • If you want to keep router's WebUI Access password different from the Wi-Fi network password then uncheck "set as admin password as well" & set a new one, click finish.

06.png

Note: It is strongly recommended to keep WebUI admin password different from Wi-Fi network password in order to keep the connected clients away from making any changes in settings.

Step 5
  • Click finish and router will drop the connection to apply the new settings, you will have to connect to the Wi-Fi access point manually.
  • The required password to connect to the network now will be the one we set in previous step.

Step 6
  • It will present you an option to sign in to your exisiting Mi account, click sign in to connect to it.
  • If you want to switch to the another account or want to create the new one then click 'switch account' and proceed accordingly.

07.png

Note: Before you click "sign in" you must have internet connection so if your ISP requires you to sign in then login in to the ISP page

Step 7
  • Tha't it! You can connect your devices to the network now via password & also using WPS.

08.png

There might be settings which you might want to change after, explore Mi Wi-Fi app for more router management features located in different tabs or you can explore them on WebUI too.

Official Guides
FAQ
Why Mi account is necessary & what are the benefits of pairing Mi router to it?
Pairing Mi router with Mi account gives you seamless access & control over Mi router via Mi Wi-Fi app, more importantly from any kind of internet connection. You can manage your router & connected clients with powerful inbuilt features.

How do I determine my ISP network type?
Although Mi router will automatically detect your network type but if you are still having issues then you can call your internet service provider and ask for assistance on network type and related settings.

What are the benefits of keeping different network password and admin password?
Admin password is required to change the router's settings from WebUI, if you keep both the same then connected clients can chnage the router's settings by simply login to admin page and hence we recommend you to keep both different. Still if you wish to keep both the same and want to restrict the access to particular devices then WebUI offers it, do check it.

I don't want enter credentials repeatedely to the login page of ISP, any way to bypass?
If your ISP wants you to authenticate using credentials for each session and you want to bypass it then you might want to check your options for alternate login options based on MAC address, consult with your ISP for availability of such alternatives.

How do I clone my old router's MAC to Mi router, if needed?
You can change your Mi router's MAC address to something else when needed, login to admin page http://192.168.31.1 or http://miwifi.com and check under settings - network - MAC address.

What if I want to setup my router as wireless/wired repeater?
When setting up your mi router for the first time, you will be given option to select or you can even change it after from app settings - network - internet mode - switching modes

How do I add my WPS devices / Mi smart home devices to the network?
Click on add device on the main screen of the app after setting up router and follow the onscreen procedure.

How do I turn off the status LED?
Open Mi Wi-Fi app and go to settings - hardware & system

How do I reset my router settings to factory settings?
press & hold the reset switch located behind the router until the light turns yellow on front or you can accomplish that via Mi Wi-Fi App too.

I am not able to load WebUI while I connected router as repeater?
If you set your router as repeater then WebUI won't load which is perfectly normal because of the subnet differences.