In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Global Fans

[Discussion] About Xiaomi decision to block EDL mode (for MIUI core dev team)

2019-04-23 10:04:44
1542 11
This is an old forum post but still very interesting and very current that continues to cause a great discussion.
Now I have a pocophone bricked and need authorization to flash a rom using mi flash and recover my phone. I ask it to xiaomi but still not received any answer for this till now.

This is the original  created by Angelescu on http://en.miui.com/thread-3600334-1-1.html.

Hello,

My name is Angelescu and I have been part in some Open Source projects.
I have buyed at least 9 xiaomi phones and some of them were gave as gift to friends.
Last buyed is Redmi Note 5 AI Global version.

In Forum have seen a lot complains about RN5 variants which are bricked.
I am from Romania where isn't an oficial Xiaomi dealer so my warranty is null.
If I brick it I don't have a xiaomi service to fix it.
My RN5 is ok and it's great.

After doing some research have discovered that in almost all devices launched this year to be able to flash in EDL mode is needed authorized mi account.This was achieved by adding auth code to device programmer under device Fastboot ROM: prog_ufs_firehose_sdm845_ddr.elf or prog_emmc_firehose_sdm660_ddr.elf and so on.

Since Oreo launch was added also Anti ROLLBack policy.
Some xiaomi users buyed xiaomi phones to be able to unlock bootloader and to test miui dev roms or even custom roms.
For those users sometimes device is bricked but at least please let them to reflash device. It's theirs problem what they do with those devices.

"Good users" won't flash devices at all or flash only using OTA.
"Bad users" will try always to flash devices and to test new things.

EDL authenticated mode policy for flashing + Anti RollBack policy and/or "Bad users" behaviour is and will be a real bomb with delayed explozion for both sides ( Xiaomi because it will loose from actual users and for users because they won't be able to fix their's phones if no service center near them).
Probably Xiaomi doesn't realize how many pones were sold via unoficial channels or they want to charge us for fixing those devices at service center.

Searching Xiaomi forum at least for new devices like: MI8 , Mi6x, RN5, RN5Pro, Mi8SE ... will see that everyday devices are bricked and users complains about it.

This problem began first in RN5, RN5Pro forum but now it is in all subforums, and more devices will be bricked every day.

The idea to gave individual permission to unbrick phone is ok . But it seems that until now moderators/administrators doesn't manage to gave permision to all users in real time.

Probably the best idea is to remove auth code from device programmer file and to push it in latest roms.Doing so "Bad users" will be able to fix theirs phones.

Please do something about this.

If someone is able to forward this to MIUI core team, MIUI Project manager or to person in charge please do it.

What do you think ?
Should Xiaomi remove auth code from fastboot roms ?

Thank you.

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +1 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-04-23 10:04:44
Favorites4 RateRate

Device team

Sarge7 | from Redmi Note 5

You asked what users think & I'll give you my opinion .
  Xiaomi do not want to encourage more users to customise their phone & not use miui official roms & custom browser for which revenue is obviously made .
    As you say " good users " will very rarely run into difficulty whilst " bad user " will accept the fact that if they brick by modifying they will have to use EDL test point method  (no authorisation ) to disassemble back of phone .
   I know the risks if I want to mess about with my phone .  
  If you play the game you take the risk & deal with the consequences & don't go crying to a service centre .

2019-04-23 10:56:25
Sarge7 replied at 2019-04-23 11:56:25
You asked what users think & I'll give you my opinion .
  Xiaomi do not want to encourage more use ...

I agree with in som parts. But My bootloader is locked and I keep loocked because I trust in xiaomi and pocophone has a global rom, so I prefer to use it ilike i received it. But i receive a notification to update from  official OTA and now this was bricked after receiving an offical OTA update.
I understand your concern for system security, but xiaomi can not punish the end user and leave it in the black market hands.
2019-04-23 11:29:37

Semi Pro Bunny

ashtonwing | from Redmi Note 5

Thank you for sharing!
2019-04-23 15:22:41

Device team

Sarge7 | from Redmi Note 5

I agree with in som parts. But My bootloader is locked and I keep loocked because I trust in xiaom ...

Sorry I did not initially read correctly that you had bricked your pocophone.
    I agree 100% that users such as yourself should be at the mercy of these unbricking services .
   Your situation is quite rare but I agree you should have an easier recovery option .
    That thread you quoted ,followed the fiasco of Xiaomi implementing anti rollback before they officially announced it .
   Still not excusable because the majority of users probably see no necessity to be part of a forum & so many as you put it " good users " were caught out .
    I hope you find a quick solution .
2019-04-23 16:04:37

Master Bunny

Murshad | from Mi Note 3

Yes. Xiaomi Should Remove Authorization
2019-04-23 17:44:35
Hello
I have a phone Redmi6 (M1804c3dg)
imei: 866583043863495
After the update does not turn on, black screen.
When the firmware asks for Mi account.
Please authorize my account!
id: 1681834262
2019-06-14 04:44:57
unlock bootloader instant
contact me for all solution
https://www.facebook.com/empty.cadHP
2019-06-20 11:21:50
Share Love
Dear customers, our service provides services in a remote format, if you are from another country .
If you need Mi Authorized EDL Account or you need my services for the restoration of the brick phones and the account is deleted, mi, if you forgot , contact me on my contacts : WhatsApp +7967 777 15 98         
2019-09-12 18:16:18
Invalid floor, the posts have been deleted #9
Invalid floor, the posts have been deleted #10