In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 8/SE/EE/Lite/Pro

[Review] All About Mi 8 series /SE/EE/Lite/Pro

2019-04-18 17:42:44
1760 15

Did you know there are 5 variants of Xiaomi Mi 8 in the current market? With so many series, I can confirm you will be headache on which series to choose if you want to get one of those Mi 8 for yourself. Therefore I have prepared a detailed comparison of all Mi 8 Series and make your life easier!

Disclaimer: This comparison review is all based on the provided specifications only, without actual hands-on or user experience reviews. All specs sources are from Official Xiaomi Website & GSM Arena. I bare no responsibilities on the wrong information given by the sources if any.

If you prefer to read an article instead of watching video, you can continue to read below.

1. Hardware

Mi 8, Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro have the highest spec of chipset among all - Snapdragon 845. While Mi 8 SE is integrated with Snapdragon 710 and Mi 8 Lite has Snapdragon 660 embedded. The highest RAM available for Mi 8 series is 8GB, which comes default by 128GB internal phone storage and only available in Mi 8, Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro models.

In term of battery, the standard Mi 8 has the most battery capacity among his brothers, which is 3,400 mAh. All Mi 8 series support Qualcomm Quick Charge up to QC 3.0, except for Mi 8, Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro which support up to QC 4.0+. (Qualcomm Quick Charge Device List) For charging port, all of them utilize USB Type-C and package included a Type-C to Audio Converter as well. That means no 3.5mm headphone jack for all Mi 8 series.

All Mi 8 series comes with dual SIM slots, with no slot for external storage SD card, except for Mi 8 Lite which comes with Hybrid SIM slots that can be used as external SD card slot. All Mi 8 series comes with the default sensors in phone such as accelerator, proximity, gyro, compass. However, only Mi 8, Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro have barometer sensor. Meanwhile, Mi 8 SE is the only phone that has Infrared Blaster, which is a great bonus for this phone.

Table below shows the hardware comparison table of all Mi 8 Series.

2. Display & Design

Among all Mi 8 series, Mi 8 SE has the smallest display, which is 5.88 inches. Surprisingly Mi 8 Lite has the largest display, or I should say – longest display, due to its 19:9 screen ratio. Other than Mi 8 Lite, most Mi 8 series use Super AMOLED technology by Samsung, which gives brighter lights, better viewing angles, high contrast ratio, and at the same time thinner display.

In weight comparison, Mi 8 SE wins the lightest weight while both Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro are the heaviest, which weight 13g heavier than Mi 8 SE. All Mi 8 series have almost the same body thickness which is around 7.5mm. Like most phone in market, Full HD is the highest resolution in all Mi 8 series display.

3. Camera

All Mi 8 series have dual camera, with a slightly difference in aperture where Mi 8 SE and Mi 8 Lite have f/1.9 while Mi 8, Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro have f/1.8. Mi 8, Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro gained the upper hand in their rear camera by having 4-axis OIS ability in their rear camera primary lens. On top of that, Mi 8, Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro also have 2x optical zoom ability in their telephoto lens, which gives a clearer picture while zoom in.

For front camera, Mi 8 SE seems to have larger image sensor pixel size, which is 1.0µm. In term of slow motion video recording, Mi 8, Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro can record up to 240fps while Mi 8 SE and Mi 8 Lite only can record up to 120fps, both in full HD. The rear camera design is all the same for Mi 8 series, except Mi 8 Lite which has horizontal dual camera design.

4. Software & Security

For software wise, all Mi 8 series are installed with latest MIUI 10 version, Android 8.1 out of the box. Additionally, only Mi 8 Explorer has Mimoji feature (Similar to iPhone Animoji) installed. Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro have the latest under display fingerprint sensor, while other Mi 8 series utilized the mainstream rear-mounted fingerprint sensor.

Other than fingerprint sensor, some Mi 8 series also provide facial unlock feature. Here is a fun fact, Mi 8 Explorer Edition is the first Android phone that provides Face 3D recognition. It is implemented with a complex structured light 3D module to enable 3D face scanning. Compared to infrared face recognition found in Mi 8 and Mi 8 Pro, 3D face recognition provides a higher accuracy in facial unlock. Good thing is both 3D and Infrared face recognition can be used in the dark.

Although Mi 8 SE and Mi 8 Lite do not have the supported hardware for facial recognition feature, it can still be implemented via software update where it utilizes front camera. It will have the downside of unable to use it in the dark.

5. Price & Color Variant

Talks about pricing, the most expensive Mi 8 series would be the Mi 8 Explorer, which cost 3699 RMB (RM2,220 or USD $534). The order from most expensive to cheapest Mi 8 series will be – Mi 8 Explorer, Mi 8 Pro, Mi 8, Mi 8 SE and Mi 8 Lite. In term of appearance, only Mi 8 Explorer and Mi 8 Pro have the coolest transparent back cover. Mi 8 Pro and Mi 8 Lite also have the twilight color variant that quite reflective.

Kernel source codes: https://github.com/MiCode/Xiaomi_Kernel_OpenSource

Check below all mi 8 variants reviews by mitch!
Mi 8 Review: Most Awesome Flagship Yet! http://en.miui.com/thread-2824993-1-1.html
Mi 8 Lite Review: Strong Mid Range Phone http://en.miui.com/thread-4036849-1-1.html
Mi 8 Pro Review: Under Display Fingerprint http://en.miui.com/thread-4011989-1-1.html
Mi 8 SE Review: Your New Midrange Champ! http://en.miui.com/thread-2918440-1-1.html (china market)
Mi 8 Explorer Edition Comprehensive Review http://en.miui.com/thread-3509177-1-1.html (china market)

Credits: marcus_keong & mitch002
Source: miloandsoya

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +20 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-04-18 17:42:44
Favorites9 RateRate

Beta Team-China

parvin Kumar | from Redmi Note 4X

thanks for sharing
2019-04-18 21:25:53

Grand Master Bunny

M1K4_3L | from app

That's a huge article and nice intels.
Great Work, Thanks for it
2019-04-18 21:49:06
SNOC XUA TROM

Pro Bunny

Raza_Mohamed | from MI 8

good phone good hardware but bad .............
2019-04-18 22:49:07

Advanced Bunny

Andler1968 | from MI 8 SE

thanks for the detailed overview
2019-04-19 02:01:20
Thanks for information. I'd like to know from Explorer edition what version of Mimoji is out there right now. I found version 1.0 and works decently for my Mi 8 (standard version). There's a chance someone could share an updated version?
2019-04-19 02:38:41

Bug Hunter Team

Sampath madurai | from Redmi Note 4

Nice thanks for your information.
2019-04-19 03:53:02

Advanced Bunny

Breaker_m | from MI 8 SE

Thanks for infomation.
2019-04-21 18:58:24
1st i bought Sirius... nowdays,DIPPER... sdm 845 is awesome!
2019-04-22 14:44:24
how to activate my mi 8 lite,my phone is locked
2019-04-26 13:06:16
[color=
thanks for sharing
2019-05-02 02:12:10