In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi S2

[Review&Unboxing] Redmi S2 Review : Is It Worth The Money? Better Read Before Buying Than To Suffer Later!

2018-08-12 14:51:10
941 9

So, REDMI S2!

The first device which is released in Bangladesh officially. Yeah, it's a great news for all the Bangladeshi people that, finally our beloved Xiaomi started is official activities in Bangladesh. Thumbs up to that.

I must say that, I am lucky as I got the chance to experience Redmi S2 for a few days. Well, after using for few days, I have mixed opinion regarding this device among them, most are negative. And, overall, I am disappointed with this device. Is this device good? Is this device bad? Is buying this price worthy? Well, I am going to share my very personal opinion regarding this device, anyone's opinion may vary with my one. So, fasten your seatbelt and let's begin!

• Let's start with the box:

In the box, you will get, Redmi S2 itself,  a silicon cover, some documentation, charger, data cable and sim ejection pin. I think these things are pretty common for all the Xiaomi devices starting from a low budget range to flagship series.

So,  (+1) for this one.

• Next Comes the Outlook:
This is the place from where my disappointment started.

Look From the Top

On the upper side, you will find, front camera, sensor, IR Blaster, Secondary mic and earphone jack (Thumbs up for this)

The display panel is quite higher than the body. It really feels odd while holding the device. I think you can get some idea from the picture below.

Next odd thing, the camera bump!! The height of the camera bump is too much. It is always felt while holding the device. Even the given cover can't hide it properly.

Side View

On the right side, you will find power button and volume rocker.

On the bottom, you will find, Micro USB charging port and speaker.

The back panel. It doesn't give any premium feel. It may looking good, but it won't feel good after holding. So, I would suggest, before buying, have some hands-on experience from any shop.

Now, let me show you some pictures with the cover attached.

So, a (-1) for this one.

• Performance:
Well, in case of performance, I must say that, as a device with a SD 6XX processor series, it gives quite good performance. In this section, I am overall happy. It was quite fast, the transactions were very smooth and I haven't found any lag in it. I played some high graphics games with this as well like PUBG and ashphalt 9, it those were quite smooth without any lag.

So a (+1) for this one.

• Battery:
Well, in case of battery, it's quite good. With the SD 6XX processor with a 3080mAh battery, it gives you power to work for almost a whole day. I played few high-end games like PUBG, ashplat 9 with this, and the battery drawing was very less and most importantly the device didn't heat up that much. And the standby time is also quite satisfactory.

So, (+1) (For battery) and (+1) (For not heating)

• ROM is Optimized For India not Bangladesh:
Though I have selected my region to Bangladesh, it's still optimized for India. There is still no separate ROM development for Bangladesh till now. As an example is shown below. In the app vault, it's showing the news of Indian Stock Exchange.

So, a (-1) for this one.

• No face Unlock:
In the announcement of Redmi S2, it was declared that, from that day, which means 17th July, face unlock feature is available for Bangladesh. But unfortunately, still, it's not available for Redmi S2 or any devices for Bangladesh region. Maybe it will be given in future update, but as per their announcement, by this time, it should be present.

So, a (-1) for this one.

• No Dual Camera Water Mark:
Nowadays, most of the dual camera mobile is having the function of adding the dual camera watermark on it's pictures. But don't know why it's not present in the Redmi S2.

Another (-1) for this one.

• Rear Cam:
The rear cam performance of this cam, is not really good at all. There are very few details present in the pictures. I am giving some pictures here, from where you will get some idea.

A (- 1) For the rear cam from my side.

• Front Cam:
Well, upto the point, I am disappointed regarding the rear cam, I am just that much satisfied with the front cam. It's front cam is quite impressive in this budget range. Normal pictures and also the portraits, all are really good I must say.

Normal Picture

Front Cam Portrait Picture

So, a (+1) from my side.

So, that's quite the things part by part. Yes, I couldn't cover all the topic and sections. Whatever, if I try to summarize, then

Pros:

• Better performance
  • Better battery life
  • Better Front Cam
  • Bugdet Friendly

Cons:
  • Huge camera bump & High display
  • Bad rear cam
  • No Dual Cam Water mark
  • No Face Unlock
  • Still ROM is not Optimized for Bangladesh.

So, in short I want to say that, I am not satisfied with this device, though, if you have less budget, you can go for it, because within 15K BDT you are going to get an official product with official warranty which is very rare in the smartphone market nowadays.

NB: This thread is made on the basis of my personal experience and opinion. Anyone's opinion may conflict with mine, and I totally agree with that.

With Regards

Nowfel

Super Moderator, Xiaomi Global Forum

2018-08-12 14:51:10
Favorites RateRate

Advanced Bunny

Utshab Roy | from Redmi S2

nice phone redmi s2
2018-08-12 15:01:08

Super moderator

rayhanh | from Redmi Note 4X

Thanks for sharing your valuable opinion! keep rocking!
2018-08-12 16:01:01
Rayhan Hasan,
Super Moderator, Mi Community Bangladesh.

Rookie Bunny

808 | from Redmi 4X

Utshab Roy
nice phone redmi s2

yes....you are right
2018-08-12 22:15:29

Master Bunny

Hasinur Rahman | from Mi Note 3

nice review indeed.
2018-08-13 02:18:47
Hasinur Rahman Nur
Moderator, Mi Community Bangladesh

Techie Team

Mahmud Af Nahin | from Redmi Note 5

thanks for sharing
2018-08-13 03:49:19

Super moderator

Nowfel Author | from MIX 2S

rayhan4200
Thanks for sharing your valuable opinion! keep rocking!

welcome bro
2018-08-13 08:53:23
Arif Ahmed Nowfel

Super Moderator, Mi Community

Super moderator

Nowfel Author | from MIX 2S

Hasinur Rahman
nice review indeed.

thanks vai
2018-08-13 08:53:38
Arif Ahmed Nowfel

Super Moderator, Mi Community