Bhubaneswar

Return to list New

[Discussion] My journey with MIUI

2017-01-23 03:40 PM

882 27
Edited by TanmayS at 2017-01-23 03:42 PM

Back in 2012 I used to be a happy iPhone user. My 2008 iPhone 3g used to give me optimum satisfaction, as well as the cult status. But in an unfortunate day, I broke the screen and could not replace it as there were no service centre in my city and replacement cost was too high. This left me with no option than buying a new handset.

These are the days when Android is in its infancy, only Samsung and Sony Ericsson were used to manufacture devices based on Android V 2.x. There were very few choices available and I choose the Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V, a mid-range smartphone running Android 2.3 Gingerbread. The phone had 1gb storage and 512mb RAM, and believe me, in those days it was too much to ask in mid-range. Anyway I happily used the device for 3-4 months until Google launched Android 4 ICS. I craved for the new OS but Sony failed to provide a decent update to my phone. I looked for the ICS update over internet and during this process I came across XDA community. And boy! there are plenty of ROM available there for my device. I learned about CyanogenMod, AOSP, AOKP etc. Every weekend I used to download one ROM, flash it in my device, test it for a week and still left with a urge of "Yeh Dil Maange More". My hunt for a good ROM continued...

One day while going through the threads of XDA, I came across a thread by a guy named ZduneX25 who had posted about some weird looking ROM. I went through the post casually, and came across one ornage coloured screenshot!!! That was my first interaction with MIUI. I downloaded the ROM and flashed it. I was both curious and skeptical about the ROM. The first boot continued for more than 15 mins. I thought my phone was in bootloop. And then it booted into a beautiful welcome screen. The setup was smooth and I booted into my first MIUI Android Phone, MIUI 3.

14107888691_c119c0a3e6_c.jpg
Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V Running MIUI (Photo Source: Google Search)

In those days ZduneX25 used to provide 2-3 updates to his ROM every month. I used to flash each and every build he posted and continued to happily using MIUI over my SE Xperia Neo V. But the experience was not that smooth, considering the low hardware (512 MB RAM and single core processor). In the meantime ZduneX25 upgraded his device to Samsung Galaxy S3 and stopped developing for SE device. I was left with his last ported ROM.

But I didn't stop there. I upgraded my device to Samsung Galaxy S3, just to use MIUI. Within a week, I unlocked the device, downloaded ZduneX25's MIUI ROM and flashed it. It was MIUI4 ROM with better looks and more MIUI apps.

maxresdefault (1).jpg
SSamsung Galaxy S3 running MIUI (Photo Source: Google Search)

This story of flashing MIUI continued till 2014 when Xiaomi came into India and launched Mi3. Although I was quite inclined to it, but I was unable to buy it in the initial flash sales. I kept on trying and trying without any success till Mi India launched Redmi 1s. I was successful of getting the Redmi 1s at the first sale and within a week I had the device in my hands, running MIUI out-of-the-box.
xiaomi-redmi-1s-64654353.jpg
Xiaomi Redmi 1s (Photo Source: Mi Community)

I continued to use MIUI happily on my Redmi 1s, running Android 4.3 JellyBeans with MIUI5 on top of it. But internally I was not happy, because Redmi 1s at that time didn't have developer ROM. However some developers updated its base to Android 4.4.4 KitKat with MIUI 6 on top of it. In between Flipkart added a Mi3 to my cart and I bought it instantly. But Mi launched Mi4 within a couple of weeks and I choose to sell my Mi3 and buy  Mi4. Mi4 came with Android 4.4.4 out of the box with MIUI 6 on top of it. I unlocked the device, flashed Chinese Developer ROM and continued with the weekly updates. This subsequently got updated to MIUI 7, MIUI 8 and Android Marshmallow. In 2015 I enrolled in the China Beta Testing Programme and got selected as a beta tester and still continuing in the group, testing 4 updates a week.
thumb_1629_default_big.jpeg
Mi4  (Photo Source: Mi Community)

Along with the Mi4, I have added three more devices to my collection. Those are Redmi Note 3, Redmi 3s and Mi Max. Currently I am using Mi Max and other phones are being used by my family members. Neverthless, we are a happy Mi Family.

Hopefully, I will be able to add the newly launched Redmi Note 4 and forthcoming Mi 6 this year to my collection.

Rate

Number of participants 2Experience +25 Collapse Reason
Harish Mohanty + 10 Interesting!
swastikswaroop + 15 Very nice!

View Rating Log

2017-01-23 03:40 PM
Reply Report
Mi Community Fan

Master Bunny

Piyush Nagpal | from Redmi Note 3

Nice thread :-)
2017-01-23 03:51 PM